Criteria for Visitor Visa Extension

I am here on a 90 day Visitor Visa and the TECO office in Auckland, NZ said that it is extendable for a further 90 days (my Visa is not stamped with Non-Extendable) but I don’t quite know the procedure I must take to extend it.

I’ve had a look at a few websites including this one and my situation doesn’t fall under any of those 3 categories (visiting family, studying or religious reasons). Well, not exactly anyway. I am here visiting my Taiwanese girlfriend of 4 years but I don’t imagine that counts in my favour, right? I have been here 3 times previously as a visitor, but that probably doesn’t count for anything either.

Also, I haven’t seen any mention of others getting 90 day Visitor Visas, only 60 day ones with up to 2 extensions.

I’m into my 2nd month here and time seems to be flying by rapidly, so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

It would be interesting to know how you got the 90 day extendable visa without a work offer or enrollment at a school.

The only way you can extend is to show that you have a valid need to stay in Taiwan longer. If you are not working or going to school you should be able to show proof of financial stability to sustain yourself for another 90 days in Taiwan.

Try getting an extension by stating you wish to visit your GF longer, see more sights in Taiwan, and show your bank statement that you have more than 80,000 NT.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding Derek!

When applying for my Visa I told them I wanted a 6 month visitor visa. They told me that it’s quite unusual, but they’d try. When I got my passport back and saw that it was just a 3 month visa I asked them why it was only 3 months. They said, “yes, but you can extend it for 3 more months”.

So, yesterday I got my girlfriend to call up the office here and they said that it’s impossible for me to extend it and that I’d have to go back to New Zealand. Argh!

So, now I’m wondering what my other options are. Can I go to Hong Kong and apply for another visitor visa from there (albeit maybe only a 2 month visa)? I was told from a friend that all I’d need was a written statement from my girlfriend to say that I was living with her for the duration.

Can I quickly enroll in part-time Chinese study?

As far as proving my finances, I’m not too sure how I’d do that from this end. I can view/print out my statements online, but they wouldn’t be verified by my bank.

[quote=“stevegan”]Thanks for responding Derek!

When applying for my Visa I told them I wanted a 6 month visitor visa. They told me that it’s quite unusual, but they’d try. When I got my passport back and saw that it was just a 3 month visa I asked them why it was only 3 months. They said, “yes, but you can extend it for 3 more months”.

So, yesterday I got my girlfriend to call up the office here and they said that it’s impossible for me to extend it and that I’d have to go back to New Zealand. Argh!

So, now I’m wondering what my other options are. Can I go to Hong Kong and apply for another visitor visa from there (albeit maybe only a 2 month visa)? I was told from a friend that all I’d need was a written statement from my girlfriend to say that I was living with her for the duration.

Can I quickly enroll in part-time Chinese study?

As far as proving my finances, I’m not too sure how I’d do that from this end. I can view/print out my statements online, but they wouldn’t be verified by my bank.[/quote]

It all depends on what school you intend on attending. The “get a quick visa stamp” schools are a thing of the past now. You will have to actually enroll at a full time university language school to get a visa via them. Check the BOCA site for the list of schools you can attend.

As far as I can see, you should be able to leave Taiwan and apply for a visitor visa for Tourism for a duration of 60 days. Just print out your bank statement from online, it should suffice. Be sure it has the bank logo, name, and contact information…your name, account number and of course your balance. You will need to show that this has been your average balance over the past 3 months and not just a last minute deposit. Together with your bank statement, bring your letter from your GF stating she is taking responsability for you whule here, a letter from you stating why you want to stay in Taiwan for 60 days more…and apply for your Visa at an overseas TECO … maybe bangkok or hongkong or okinawa = cheapest fares. Be sure to get a ticket itinerary showing you will depart from Taiwan again within your new 60 day stay. <<That is a very inportant part.

If it doesnt work. you can just use your passport to get back in for an additional 30 days non extandable, which will buy you more time to A.) Find a new job or B.) get enrolled at a school.

Good luck!

Hello

I want to make sure about one visa problem
I