CRS form, What it is and why you shouldn't do what the bank says

What can you do with the account? Can you invest in USD or local stocks? Send wires? Is online banking enabled?

In the thread I linked, someone’s ARC expired and their bank no longer allowed wires or online access.

All of the above except stocks, that is seperate to a bank account

It’s exactly the same as a bank account you open with an ARC. No difference.

2 Likes

Hmm interesting, I’m wondering why your experience is so much different than the linked thread (Cannot get an online banking account if ARC expires in less than a year). Some reports from that thread of not being able to use forex after their ARC expired. Maybe just need to find the right bank to work with?

Could very well be a good point. In my case, I don’t change my overseas accounts’ info to Taiwan. The government, by proxy, already has done that by removing my resident status. Or maybe it’s a matter of don’t ask don’t tell.

More like find the least moronic person at a branch a reasonable distance from your house

My poor attitude towards these people probably has something to do with it.

Someone on this forum accused me of ‘borish’ behaviour because I don’t allow ‘authority’ to walk all over me and make u their rules.
Taiwan isn’t a dictatorship anymore, the more people accept bullsh*t the longer it will take for the bullsh#t to stop

It’s also the same thing with people claiming their overseas credit card is blocked for online sales delivering to Taiwan. Well that is because the purchase gets flagged as possible fraudulent purchase. I’ve been told companies like Shopee you can’t use a foreign credit card. Well not true if the billing address and address to send shipping to is your address in Taiwan. Merchants will often not send if the billing address and sending address not in same country.

Some people like us always got ahead because we didn’t take no for an answer. Then people who just accepted being told no never got what they wanted then would claim oh we are special then. No we’re not, we just challenge the status quo.

By accepting being told no to everything which is common in Taiwan, they can keep up the woe is me foreigner narrative.

1 Like

Well in my case non resident tax is different than resident tax. So advising my bank I was non resident also meant changing address to outside of Australia.

AIT says this isn’t allowed if you are a dual national with a Taiwan passport:

Taiwan International Travel Information.

“If you have dual Taiwan-U.S. nationality, you must enter/exit Taiwan on your Taiwan passport and enter/exit the United States on your U.S. passport.”

Not sure what are the repercussions of not following this on both sides (US/Taiwan). Also comes down to individual circumstances. The US likely has this rule to prevent hiding of nationalities and using multiple identities.

The gold card website says nationals with household registration are not eligible. I don’t know about Steve’s particular case.

“ROC nationals with a household registration or National ID card are not eligible to apply.”

Since when does AIT determine Taiwan’s immigration laws lol

If you read links provided you would see discussion on this with @user86 where @tando linked the law allowing taiwanese citizens to enter on foreign passport and also get arc’s…

1 Like

When looking at immigration policies you have to look at both countries of citizenship. It may not break Taiwan immigration policies but may break US policies. The US does not allow a US citizen to enter the USA on a foreign passport and you can get into lots of trouble for that. I am not sure why they have this policy on other countries too, but generally you are always a US person no matter where you are. It comes down to individual circumstances.

That’s USA not Taiwan. Australia same citizens must enter on Australian passport. UK citizens can enter on foreign passports. USA cannot tell Taiwan citizens they have to use Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan. USA has no jurisdiction here

AIT information is wrong.

1 Like

It’s probably fine since the US cannot refuse entry to US citizens going back, and I don’t see any immigration policy/law in the US saying there is a penalty related to this.

1 Like

Their information is incorrect. Some dual citizens don’t even bring their Taiwan passports when the come for short trips

1 Like

I have some questions on this - I am a European person who lives since almost 10 years in Asia - between Singapore and Hong Kong, where I have my bank account and my savings. (HSBC, the accounts are linked).
In my country (Italy), I do not have any property, any bank account and any income and I am registered as a “Citizen living Abroad” - which basically allows me to do not file and pay tax, and I never paid any tax there since I moved abroad, I have always paid my tax in Singapore and Hong Kong.

In February or March I am moving to Taiwan to start a job and I will be employed by an Employer of Record in Taiwan, who is going to deduct tax from my payslip already - And after reading a few posts I feel I have to be prepared for major fuckups.

• If I open a HSBC account in Taiwan, will they ask me for a CRS? What should I put since my idea is to be in Taiwan for several years?
    (But of course if I open my account in February, I would be in Taiwan only for a few days, and cannot declare myself as a tax resident).
  • Will the EOR deduct non-resident 18/20% tax from my pay and then adjust at the end of the year?

Can someone explain how to approach this with the least amount of headache as possible? Even if I understand it might not be really possible…

I just opened an account with HSBC. Staff were good at accepting I have foreign nationality and accounts overseas. I did not need to do CRS as I could show them my accounts listed Taiwan as my tax domicile. So after you move here you can change your foreign bank accounts to Taiwan address and Taiwan phone for sms.

Most expats are in the above 20% tax bracket anyway so you can see the tax brackets online type Taiwan tax rates in google. Show them your citizen living abroad document.

You should probably ask the EOR about that part, no? Seems like it should be part of their job to explain such things.

The withholding rate for the first 183 days is usually at the discretion of the employer, but can in principle be negotiated. I don’t see why it’d be different here. I doubt they’d want to be responsible for the full tax bill if an employee leaves mid-year, but then I suppose that finding people to employ is their business so they might be somewhat flexible.

1 Like

We do not have a “Citizen Living Abroad” document.
Just a declaration sent to Italy - written in Italian - around 10 years ago that says I moved to Singapore.
Not sure if they would get what is it haha :slight_smile:

your same situation, was in HK before and registered AIRE there. Moved here almost 2 yrs ago.

Had HSBC in HK too, opened here HSBC TW (if u r premier that helps a lot in “warming them up”), most likely you will need to do your CRS, just avoid to put Italy as country of tax residence (even if the staff will most likely tell u to do that) and you can either put still Singapore (once you come here you won’t be technically tax resident yet) or just push it and put Taiwan. Do not sign anything that shows u as Italian tax resident, that non-sense, something I am fighting for with the Ministry of Finance.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
I won’t absolutely sign anything - I do not want to spend time with the Agenzia delle Entrate explaining why I am not an Italian tax residents etc…

Thanks for the clarification - I will do Singapore if they ask, even though I won’t have anymore my employment pass number once I arrive in Taiwan.

Headache, I should have chosen Bangkok and not Taipei… haha