Csb live speech

Comments on A Bians live speech

Lets hear from the DPP supporters and the KMT detractors!

Scorn and contempt in the office up here, mainly because he’s speaking in Taiwanese in the hope of appealing to his southern fanbase. I guess he still thinks they’re the ones who count.
Concensus among the Taiwanese journalists here right now seems to be that they’re watching a drowning man.

Thanks Sandy…the Tai tai is doing kicks at the TV.

[quote=“sandman”]Scorn and contempt in the office up here, mainly because he’s speaking in Taiwanese in the hope of appealing to his southern fanbase. I guess he still thinks they’re the ones who count.
Concensus among the Taiwanese journalists here right now seems to be that they’re watching a drowning man.[/quote]

We can only hope. :unamused:

Waiting for the PRC poster group to chime in…

guess they are waiting for their material to come down from party central.

President says he has not violated Constitution

Taiwan News, Staff Reporter
By Crystal Hsu
2006-06-20 08:56 PM

• Enlarge This image
    Taiwanese President Chen Shui-bian address his television speech at presidential office in Taipei Tuesday, June 20, 2006.

President Chen Shui-bian, whose family members and former close aides have been under investigation for corruption and other impropriety charges, told the nation tonight he has not violated the Constitution as the opposition parties have charged.

The opposition-dominated Legislature introduced a motion last week to recall Chen and asked him to submit a defense statement by the end of today.

Chen said he decided not to file a defense statement but to explain his case directly to the people. Comparing the report to a speech on March 27, 2004 when opposition politicians and supporters staged a massive rally in front of the Presidential Office to protest his re-election, Chen said he would not take any questions from the media to avoid blurring the issues.

Chen said he found it necessary to share his feelings about the recall campaign so the public may judge for themselves if the recall is fair and just.

On the charge that he has violated the Constitution by running a minority government, Chen said he has made sure to consult different parties before naming premiers after he took office in 2000.

“I have carried out my duties in accordance with powers stipulated in the Constitution,” Chen told reporters at the Presidential Office.

Opposition Kuomintang and People First Party lawmakers have accused Chen of ruining the economy, harming cross-strait relations and suppressing media freedom, among other charges.

However, Chen said he is willing to consider appointing an opposition premier if all parties favor such practice and write it into the Constitution.

On the charge that his family members and in-laws have accepted money in exchange for political favors, Chen reiterated that none of his family members played any role in the SOGO Department Store ownership dispute.

He said emphatically that his pledge to step down remained effective if investigators find out later that his wife Wu Shu-chen or other family members accept SOGO gift certificates from the disputing parties involved.

“It’s not true that my wife took SOGO gift certificates from Lee Heng-lung and others seeking the department store’s ownership,” Chen said. “This endless but unfounded exposure of corruption scandals by irresponsible politicians and media people is regretful.”

From etaiwannews.com

At least now we have KMT also saying DPP is a minority government. So in the end, IMO, it was more KMT blocking everything than DPP doing nothing (that is what usually happens in minority governments, where the opposition tries to show the government is bad by not letting them govern).

Boogie man -
DPP won the last 2 elections.
Hardly makes them a “minority government”…whatever the hell that is…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Boogie man -
DPP won the last 2 elections.
Hardly makes them a “minority government”…whatever the hell that is…[/quote]They didn’t win the Legislative Yuan elections, which makes them a minority there. It happens in other places. I don’t see why it’s unconstitutional. Or does the KMT think they deserve the presidency (despite losing that election) because they have the most seats in parliament ?

He likes cheese.

Was his speech accompanied by cheesy, pseudo-dramatic music, as usual?

I found it amusing that he wanted to uphold his promise that if his wife took Sogo gift certificates that he would step down from office.

Even more ironic is that he kept referring to the fact he didn’t do anything unconstitutional while representing the political faction with the most desire to change the ROC constitution that is keeping him in office.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]President says he has not violated Constitution
[/quote]

I did not have sexual relations with that woman.

It all seems tooo familar :astonished:

I’m just a member of the peanut gallery like anyone else, so I don’t pretend to know whether he/she/they are really guilty of anything.

But this comment made me giggle:

[i]Chen said he would not take any questions from the media to avoid blurring the issues.

Chen said he found it necessary to share his feelings about the recall campaign so the public may judge for themselves if the recall is fair and just. [/i]

Yes. Must avoid blurring those issues by taking questions from the media.

There is a pan-Blue liberal media conspiracy on Taiwan :slight_smile:

he cannot say anything else, specially about the SOGO or his son-in-law, simply because there is something called secret of justice, and even the president should respect it (of course, the guys who should respect it the most (aka cops and prosecuters) are the biggest whistle blowers in here).

AC, just remember that most of the media is really blue, except maybe for some few newspapers and Apple Daily, who only sides themselves.

And by the way, did Clinton got out of the office because of Monica??? Even the guy who sent out news of alleged sex scandals of Clinton came some years later to deny that they where truth.

And Mr “Don’t ask stupid questions” Chou Yi how many mistakes did he made allready? Anyone is counting them?

Clinton saving grace was that he actually lead the country through one of the biggest economic booms in the USA.

Chou Yi is not running the country.

CSB is not even bothering to address the nation as a whole anymore. He’s just talking to one ethnic group now, literally.

As for the media, how can you claim it is Blue. Some of those Blue and Green outlets are owned by the same parent company.

Edit:

Your zen quote of the day

[quote]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000080&sid=ahxdmRrpJHKw&refer=asia

Chen denied he has triggered political tensions across the Taiwan Strait with China, saying relations with Asia’s second- largest economy had never been better under his watch. [/quote]

Well, maybe he should’ve said that he can’t take questions because he has to obey “secret of justice” (whatever that is).

But I guess we’ll just have to accept your psychic guess of what he really meant.

We also need to remember that most of the information you get is from someone who hates KMT enough to leave the country if they are ever elected. However the media is, your eyes and ears are all mounted with a green filter.

[quote=“sandman”]Scorn and contempt in the office up here, mainly because he’s speaking in Taiwanese in the hope of appealing to his southern fanbase. I guess he still thinks they’re the ones who count.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Doesn’t look like they will stop playing the race card any time soon.

[quote=“Marvin”][quote=“mr_boogie”]
AC, just remember that most of the media is really blue, except maybe for some few newspapers and Apple Daily, who only sides themselves.

[/quote]

We also need to remember that most of the information you get is from someone who hates KMT enough to leave the country if they are ever elected. However the media is, your eyes and ears are all mounted with a green filter.[/quote]

So everything you see is blue if you’ve got the blue filter; blue-green, the green filter. Just like staring at an unpolluted sky or at a tropical ocean. It’s so idyllic!