Cultural differences - foreign woman/Taiwanese man dating

i speak here as a foreign man who has dated a few Taiwanese women, and is currently on his second marriage to one:

None of the women I have had any close involvement with would have accepted that. Nobody.

They are in general veyr godo at showing emotions when angry. Full attention when with friends? Not talking to other people when I am not next to her? Haha.

And no, most of my GF’s and wives have had other interests apart from servicing me (or me servicing them as well).

Sounds like a spoiled brat still on mom’s boob, they learn how to manipulate at a very young age. So when HE does something wrong or acts inappropriately, HE is sad and YOU are expected to make HIM feel better, hmmm. :loco:
Are you really willing to submit to these rules? Do you have a curfew too? Is he checking your cell phone yet?

That will come in due course.

Emotional terror like your bf is doing, is used a lot in relationships here.

When I read your story, Superlaoshi, I thought of my friend (foreigner) married to the Taiwanese guy. She is out in clubs almost every Firday, alone, without him and there is not a problem. Moreover, he stays home with a baby.
So, dear Superlaoshi, as the previous Forumosans sugessted: [color=#BF00BF]RUN!!![/color]

[quote=“SuperLaoshi”]…lately we have been having quite a few “discussions” about our differences in thinking, and they seem to be cultural things and not personality differences.[/quote] Yeah, a number of years ago, I had a few of those discussions, too. While we were stopped at a red light, I realized they were not cultural at all, but personality. I checked for scooters, opened the door, got out of the car, and walked to the nearest MRT station. (Phew!) A relief it was. Oddly enough, by the time I got to the MRT, three guys had called me (and I am not one to get many calls), which I took as some kind of affirmation that I’d done the right thing (In retrospect, it is very obvious it was the right thing, regardless if anyone had or hadn’t rung me)
Always carry your own money and keys.
I have heard a few of the other ones you mentioned. Yeah, what they said. Controlling can take different forms. Guilt is a big one. I know if you are in the situation, you think those other people don’t really know. But we do. See, a lot of us have been there ourselves or seen other people go down the hell road.
Some people use strong words here that you may not agree with, but each has a different way of expressing themselves. All have the same message. Warning signs. If it is this obvious to this many people, please, please, do yourself a favour - get out. Later, you’ll look back and it will be crystal clear.
Besides, there are some really great local guys that don’t have these issues. :wink: I fell head over heels in love a few months later.
You don’t wanna be what he wants to mould you into, trust us on this one.

Was it with me… I’m Taiwanese? :liar: :liar:

No way! Really? :astonished:

Yeah! Show us your ID!

Sandman, have you been at work for the last 14 hours?

Yeah! Show us your ID![/quote]

That guy’s WHITE! He can’t be Taiwanese!

And counting. Big project. Little sleep. Mucho dinero.

And counting. Big project. Little sleep. Mucho dinero.[/quote]

Dude! Thats a spicy meatball!

You say that like it’s a better situation. It isn’t. She’s out clubbing without him on the weekends while he stays home and cares for a baby? Presumably, their baby? :loco: Sounds like both the OP and your friend’s husband should be running.

Don’t be silly. If he’s white, how could he be Taiwanese? It’s impossible.

I failed my previous relationship with a foreign woman. However, if I have one more chance, I still will date a foreign woman. Take it easy, the culture differences between taiwan and the west isn’t huge compare to many countries in Asia.

A foreign lady told me she divorced after years marriage (with a foreign man), 'cause her ex-husband wanted a traditional wife. So if what we’ve been discussing merely a cultural difference?

Also in Taiwanese relationships, the girl doesn’t show her emotions or show anger when she’s upset, and she never yells. I’m also told that in groups, the girl is expected to give her boyfriend full attention and not talk to other people unless her boyfriend is at her side…[/quote]

How old is your boyfriend? 50?!

Im Taiwanese, born and raised in Taipei. Never heard of anything he told you. It might be a trick…hehhe
Does he tell you that Taiwanese BFs usually give their GFs “allowance” every month? or they even carry their gfs’ purses in public?!
:roflmao:

How old is your boyfriend? 50?!

Im Taiwanese, born and raised in Taipei. Never heard of anything he told you. It might be a trick…hehhe
Does he tell you that Taiwanese BFs usually give their GFs “allowance” every month? or they even carry their gfs’ purses in public?!
:roflmao:[/quote]

I know two western guys whose Taiwanese wives give them an allowance each month. One Canadian man gives his wife his NTD70,000 salary each month and she gives him back NTD3,000 spending money!
:roflmao:
Having said that, now they’ve saved enough to buy an apartment. I doubt they’d have managed to do that if she’d let him spend what he wants.

:laughing: Is he allowed his own door key?

He is a pretty tragic case. When I was in Taiwan we used to wind him up no end.