Cycling around Taiwan...literally

Has anyone done it? I want to make the trip around the island and am starting my research but am wondering if anyone that’s done it before has any advice, tips, etc. I’ve never biked this distance before (hell, the most I’ve ridden is probably around 10k) so it will be a challenge. But I’m in good shape physically and exercise regularly so it’s not like I’m a complete n00b fitness-wise.

I have gotten remarks from people saying that my crotch will be sore and numb. However they’re all non-riders. I’m guessing this will be true but is this something that can be lessened with super-padded shorts and alternating between standing and sitting while riding? Am I getting in over my head with this trip? Should I maybe start with a shorter distance first (like maybe a few cities) and slowly make my way up to the island loop? I’ve heard 80 year old grandmas have done it so I dunno. I’d like to do this alone (or with a few people) but perhaps I should go with a tour for my first time.

Anyways, would like to hear about some of your experiences and if you have any tips. Thanks so much!

Frank

There are tons of threads about this already; look 'em up and you’ll find an enormous wealth of resources at your disposal.

Sounds like you won’t have any specific problems if you get up and go. I was in a similar position as you before setting out for my own round-the-island tour. It was challenging but seriously one of the best experiences of my life.

two pieces of advice: ride the provincial 3 south, and avoid the Suao tunnels on your way home by catching a train from Taroko gorge back to Yilan.

Seriously.

Yes, start with shorter trips. For example do the 150km stretch between Haulien and Taitung to see how you do on a bike before committing to a big trip.

if the most you’ve ridden is 10k why are you even asking us? Get out on your bike and start doing regular 3-4 hour rides. Forget about super-padded shorts or that other fools gold, gel seats. Your body and your bum need to get used to the rigors of riding. Cycling round Taiwan isn’t that tough but for god’s sake do some prep. Of course if you join a tour its super easy…that’s how come so many Taiwanese do this without prep…feeling sore? Jump in the support van for a few km or a half a day. But that’s the Taiwanese way; I’ve seen locals ride up to the finish of challenge rides in a bus, push their bikes over the line and pick up a finishers medal. Very sad.

It would be awesome to just go for the full island ride, but I’d recommend that you increase those distances gradually. Say 30km on day 1, 40km day 2 etc. etc. That’s going to take longer of course!

Yes, get a local train from Suao to Chengde (north of Hualien). Avoid the big roads, so take the #193, #197, coastal #11 in Hualien and Taidong.

[quote=“franko76”]Has anyone done it? I want to make the trip around the island and am starting my research but am wondering if anyone that’s done it before has any advice, tips, etc. I’ve never biked this distance before (hell, the most I’ve ridden is probably around 10k) so it will be a challenge. But I’m in good shape physically and exercise regularly so it’s not like I’m a complete n00b fitness-wise.

I have gotten remarks from people saying that my crotch will be sore and numb. However they’re all non-riders. I’m guessing this will be true but is this something that can be lessened with super-padded shorts and alternating between standing and sitting while riding? Am I getting in over my head with this trip? Should I maybe start with a shorter distance first (like maybe a few cities) and slowly make my way up to the island loop? I’ve heard 80 year old grandmas have done it so I dunno. I’d like to do this alone (or with a few people) but perhaps I should go with a tour for my first time.

Anyways, would like to hear about some of your experiences and if you have any tips. Thanks so much!

Frank[/quote]

There’s information in the threads about people riding the east coast here, but not many people have actually done an island trip in the past half a year or so, so some of the information on the older threads may be outdated. However, if you do some rummaging through the threads, you can piece together some helpful stuff for your trip.

Along the lines of route and accommodations, I can’t really give you any suggestions since I’ve never done the trip myself, but if you do some digging here, and research blogs, you won’t have trouble finding info. Just takes time. If you’re too lazy, sign up with Giant or Merida on their group trips and all you gotta do is show up with your ID, money, and some clothes and everything else will be provided to you.

As for being in shape and exercising regularly, you’ll still need to do some prep for the trip. I had a friend visit me over Chinese New Year from the states who was in great shape. He runs, goes to the gym on a regular basis, and also rides once or twice a month. So I figured, he’s in shape, he won’t have a tough time keeping up on flats and on climbs. Unfortunately, he had trouble keeping up and was even surprised himself on how out of shape on a bike he was. Nonetheless, he enjoyed every aspect of the ride(s) we took him on and had zero complaints.

All in all, do some prep. Your ass will hurt and you’ll want to quit after the first 25-30km if you do not train your body to get used to the saddle. I’ve been riding for a little over half a year now and had planned 4 months back with a few buddies that we would do a 2-3 day east coast trip this spring since we’d be fit for it.

The grandmas and grandpas that make the trip probably do it in a lot of days with short distances and/or have a support vehicle. I’m not assuming that you aren’t beast and can’t just hop on and go, but usually, you want to do some training for this kind of thing.

Good luck! If you have any other questions about training for long rides feel free to PM me.

Regarding butt pain, I solved my issue with a little seat adjustment (back just a half inch or so). This was after a discussion with Ranlee in one of these threads. Thanks Ranlee!

As to cheating in fun sports events, this reminds of the open-water swim in Yilan last year when most people didn’t go all the way to the end before they looped back and even some cut straight to the shore for a big shortcut instead of following the buoys. Very bizarre because it wasn’t a race or anything- we even left in a staggered format of about 10 different groups.

Regarding butt pain, I solved my issue with a little seat adjustment (back just a half inch or so). This was after a discussion with Ranlee in one of these threads. Thanks Ranlee!

As to cheating in fun sports events, this reminds of the open-water swim in Yilan last year when most people didn’t go all the way to the end before they looped back and even some cut straight to the shore for a big shortcut instead of following the buoys. Very bizarre because it wasn’t a race or anything- we even left in a staggered format of about 10 different groups.[/quote]

Tbh, the super padded shorts will help, don’t be too skimpy on buying a nice padded pair of shrots.

Adjustments in the saddle and/or seat post will help AFTER your body has gotten used to being on the bike though! So don’t think a tiny adjustment will forever fix your problem! If it’s not sore, it will be! Especially after back to back 100km+ days.

As to cheating in fun sports events, this reminds of the open-water swim in Yilan last year when most people didn’t go all the way to the end before they looped back and even some cut straight to the shore for a big shortcut instead of following the buoys. Very bizarre because it wasn’t a race or anything- we even left in a staggered format of about 10 different groups.[/quote]

Tbh, the super padded shorts will help, don’t be too skimpy on buying a nice padded pair of shrots.

Adjustments in the saddle and/or seat post will help AFTER your body has gotten used to being on the bike though! So don’t think a tiny adjustment will forever fix your problem! If it’s not sore, it will be! Especially after back to back 100km+ days.[/quote]

Any day now for the shorts. Maybe this weekend. My longest ride so far has been 50-55km (most of that with Irishstu and Scomargo), and very little pain in the bum during and after that. I’m still amazed at how that little adjustment helped. I plan to pick up the kilometerage after June to prepare for an event in December and I’m sure I’ll be glad I have shorts then. The event is 陽金P字山道, by the way. You probably know of it. http://www.tpe-bike.org.tw/.)

Thanks for the tips guys. I’m going to be in Taichung and I think I’ll start w/ riding to the next town over and back…then 2 towns the next time, etc. etc. and work my way up to a full loop. Hopefully I can do it within a year. I’ll check out blogs and other threads in this forums for additional info. Already found a couple of cool blogs. I definitely want to do this by myself/with friends and not in a tour. Bummer to hear about the cheaters. But I guess if they’re elderly I can understand.

A few of you mentioned the Suao tunnels. Is that the same as Suhua? Saw some threads about it on here and it seems like a death trap.

The 3-peaks event is a nice challenge (about 88 km with 2200 vertical meters). It might be somewhat long as your first event though… Have you considered joining a shorter event this summer to get a feel for riding something like that non-stop? Maybe the Roma road race on the 1st of August (75km) is an idea?
Last December I also did the 3-peaks and I was pretty happy that it wasn’t my first event.

[quote=“Jurriaan”]The 3-peaks event is a nice challenge (about 88 km with 2200 vertical meters). It might be somewhat long as your first event though… Have you considered joining a shorter event this summer to get a feel for riding something like that non-stop? Maybe the Roma road race on the 1st of August (75km) is an idea?
Last December I also did the 3-peaks and I was pretty happy that it wasn’t my first event.[/quote]

Maybe I need to reconsider my end of year plans! This was from my crazy friend who just ran in a 108km running race. I should have known that the event he picked out for me would be too much. By the way, he told me it’s no longer called “3 peaks” because it’s now actually two major and two minor peaks. I guess this change in the course started last year when you entered the race, according to what he told me anyway.

Huh? I meant that one the other way around… It’s doable. It’s just a little long to start as a FIRST event. Maybe add an event somewhere earlier this year…

Last year I bought my road bike around April and managed to compete in the golden peaks (new name :wink:) in December. I’m convinced you can finish it. I would just advise you to add an event earlier this year as a preparation.

Huh? I meant that one the other way around… It’s doable. It’s just a little long to start as a FIRST event. Maybe add an event somewhere earlier this year…

Last year I bought my road bike around April and managed to compete in the golden peaks (new name :wink:) in December. I’m convinced you can finish it. I would just advise you to add an event earlier this year as a preparation.[/quote]

Okay, got it. Don’t know how I misread that. OP, sorry about hijacking your thread. Let’s bring this back to the cycling around Taiwan subject!

Here’s a good starting event in June; 100 k along the coast, or even 75 k lite option: ezfun.24tms.com.tw/sports/page2_ … d=124#sTOP

You could probably start in a week. It’s really not that strenuous coming down the western side of the island and by the time you hit the east you’ll be in better shape.

For reference I rode my bike around Taipei a fair amount before setting out for my trip last year but probably never more than about 30 km a day. I took it easy and averaged 80 km on riding which really isn’t much (but I also wanted to see more of the island as I went). It was challenging once I rounded the Hengchun Peninsula (in the middle of Typhoon Usagi, no less) but nothing I couldn’t handle. Nothing you can’t handle either if you’re in reasonable shape.

The Suhua is dangerous but not unreasonably so. If you take your time and you’re cautious you’ll make it through. You’ll feel a little crazy if you end up doing it… but you’ll also feel like you’d be crazy not to.

No problem. Always good to hear about different events anyways.

This looks awesome. Definitely interested in something like this. I want to try the 75k distance. Thanks for sharing.

[quote=“Xeno”]The Suhua is dangerous but not unreasonably so. If you take your time and you’re cautious you’ll make it through. You’ll feel a little crazy if you end up doing it… but you’ll also feel like you’d be crazy not to.

[/quote]
Damn that looks intimidating. I think I’ll stay away from that the first time around since I’m just a n00b. If I decide to do it again I’ll consider it.

Thanks again for all your input everyone! Looking forward to riding around in Taiwan.