Cycling Hualien - Suao

Anyone done this route - the Su-Hua? Pretty dangerous road, lots of tunnels, usual mad overtaking. But I’ve driven it several times now, and I usual see cyclists somewhere on route. No idea if they get the local train to somewhere though, or are doing the whole thing, never stopped to ask.

2 sections truly concern - Taroko to Heping has several tunnels and would be safe-ish at first light, very early. Even then, the tunnels have No Cycling signs on them (but when does that stop anyone here?). I imagine there’s no way around all of those tunnels, though I think one of them can be missed out by taking an old road.

Then somewhere in the middle (after nan-ao?) there’s another pretty long narrow one-way tunnel.

Perhaps it’s a death wish of a journey… :s

Hi! I don’t think it’s a death wish, although there’s an element of danger. I haven’t done it, but I’ve walked most of that coastline. I tried to avoid tunnels, as they are boring. But sometimes there was no choice, so I’ve been inside many of the SuHua tunnels. Sometimes you have a pedestrian sidewalk, and that is elevated so reasonably safe. When there was no sidewalk, I hitchhiked. Easy - with no bike. However, I have talked to someone who did the whole island by bicycle, including that area, and he said it was no big deal. I think the key is to be visible: wear light-coloured clothing. Have a flashing rear light on when in the tunnels. Keep a bit of distance between you and the tunnel wall, so you have a bit of room to manoeuvre in. My experience is, and what my friend said was, that the truck drivers are pretty alert and considerate, unlike their Taipei blue-truck bretheren. You should be OK. Go for it!

Read through this thread for more information:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … nel#811757

Thanks didn’t find that thread before. I was already looking at taking the 8 then the Lishan branch (7甲) of the Central Cross as a detour - for sure it will be far more peaceful, lots of climbing but that’s not a problem.

I know I should be leaving the SuHua well alone, but it’s frustrating at being forced off a road just because of trucks and cars. When I get around to doing the island tour (and this was a bit of pre-thinking about that island tour), it’s a beautiful road that hugs the coast and begs to be ridden. A shame. But even if you can put the Heping tunnel section behind you very early one morning, there’s still a lot of narrow cliff-hugging road to come. Also, there’s often no escape route, as the road is flanked either by crash-barriers, cliffs or the dreaded concrete drainage ditch. None of which you want to be forced into by a overloaded tour bus.

My advice, forget SuHua on a bike. The scenery plus is offset by the fear minus. Ride a safer coast line twice to make up for it.

i just cycled this route going south a few weeks ago. aside from the many trucks passing uncomfortably close, the only real danger i felt was in the tunnels. you could, however, walk your bike through these tunnels on the raised sidewalk if you feel that it is too dangerous.

i would recommend it with an early start and good lights.

Rode most of the Suhua yesterday from Hualien to Dong-Ao. Traffic was very light as the road was still closed between Dong-Ao and Su-Ao) – so no Taipei-bound Mercs or tour buses, But even though it was Sunday, there were still gravel trucks bucking through the tunnels (do they ever stop?).

Those tunnels - you got to be in and out of them quick. Get a good set of lights on the bike, and wear a helmet. I jumped off a couple of times mid-tunnel and stood against the wall to allow trucks to pass.

The nicest section IMO was outside the Taroko NP, from Heping to Nan-Ao. Only 1 short tunnel, and whichever way you do it, there’s a long climb followed by a fast and twisty descent. Great fun.

Good on you, but this one line says it all for me:

[quote]I jumped off a couple of times mid-tunnel and stood against the wall to allow trucks to pass.[/quote] :astonished:

I’ll wait till the new highway is in and the gravel industry starts shipping by rail (as planned).

Ach, I was just being over-cautious. Just in case the driver hadn’t seen me. There’s a certain something though, standing halfway through a km long tunnel, inky blackness diluted by sodium lights, the drip-drip of water from the ceiling, and the shriek of bats as the rumble of an approaching gravel truck fills the space.

With you on the wait, It’s not a route I’ll be re-riding now that through traffic is on the move.

[quote=“Nuit”]Ach, I was just being over-cautious. Just in case the driver hadn’t seen me. There’s a certain something though, standing halfway through a km long tunnel, inky blackness diluted by sodium lights, the drip-drip of water from the ceiling, and the shriek of bats as the rumble of an approaching gravel truck fills the space.

With you on the wait, It’s not a route I’ll be re-riding now that through traffic is on the move.[/quote]

The new highway will be built to allow cycling, which I assume will mean raised walkways in tunnels, and extra lanes on the sides on the regular stretches as we know have on Highway 11 and 9.