Cycling in Japan

Anyone got any recommendations for a 2 week holiday in Japan? - looking for a nice small town to base in, with lots of nice day rides, or 2 day rides.
Throwing in some good hiking as well would be fine.

I’m thinking of Kyushu, but haven’t got much farther than that.

1 Like

[quote=“Nuit”]Anyone got any recommendations for a 2 week holiday in Japan? - looking for a nice small town to base in, with lots of nice day rides, or 2 day rides.
Throwing in some good hiking as well would be fine.

I’m thinking of Kyushu, but haven’t got much farther than that.[/quote]

I’m no expert when it comes to Japan, but maybe Strava Heat Maps can help you with finding the more popular routes.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#6/-222.61280/36.47131/gray/bike

Anywhere In Hokkaido. Little traffic, good roads, mountains, shore roads, country roads, amazing fruit and food…the list goes on. I was meaning to ride there last summer, but for unexpected reasons had to leave the bike behind. Spent a week and a half there just driving around with the family and wishing I had the bike with. Next yea,r for sure!

I’m also interested too, thinking of hitting up Japan in may or so but no idea what to do.

was told by a Japanese local that Kobe and Kyoto are nice

I’ve got a cycle trip in Japan planned for sometime in the next decade, hopefully, if I can be arsed.

Is there any specific etiquette for cycling in Japan? Do you have to get off the bike and find a chair to 頂きます, then sit and eat, for example?

1 Like

Do you mean eating in a restaurant or just a rice ball when you are riding?
Some cafés and konbinis next to popular cycling roads have bike racks and outdoor sitting, so you can eat there (at least the ones around Biwako or northern Kyoto prefecture).

Resident cyclist in Japan @urodacus might know a thing or two.