Cycling Routes

I have added two new Taipei rides over at Rank: The Graveyard (and Beyond) and The Xindian Loop. The first is a good one for beginners to cut their teeth on their first few hills. The second is a ride of intermediate difficulty.

Excellent detailed directions, Feiren. Just to add an option. For the Xindian loop, instead of crossing the suspension bridge over Bitan, you can also take the gondola across Bitan for NT$50. It’s a better option consider the fact that you’re forbidden to ride on the bridge, which is ridiculous, as riding on a suspension bridge is one of the joys of bicycling. If the gondola happens to be over at the opposite bank, there’s a bell you can press to get him to come pick you up.

Thanks for posting those Feiren. I just might try one of them out one of these days.
Have you also posted other ones in the past?

if youd get off ya ass stu you could ride these trails with me… yr brakes on the way as well

Woohoo!!! I’m nearer the city centre now, so it’s gonna be a lot easier for me to hook up.

Cheers for the brakes too. Much appreciated. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

[quote=“irishstu”]Thanks for posting those Feiren. I just might try one of them out one of these days.
Have you also posted other ones in the past?[/quote]

Yes. Hualien to Taidong and Taidong to Hualien–the hairy-legged version. These are both two day rides outside of Taipei. I will soon be adding Jiayi-Alishan-Meishan, Jiayi to Pingdong: Mountain Roads, and Miaoli to Taipei: Mountain roads. These five rides are all part of the Taiwan Great Rides series while the other two posted as links to this thread are part of the Taipei Great Rides.

whod be up for this late summer?

formosanfattire.com/trails/taroko.htm

Feiren, you know that if you cross the Fuhe bridge instead of going under it and along to Jingmei, you can follow the riverside path all the way to Bitan without having to go on the traffic road at all, right?
That Xiandian loop one is a nice ride, though. I’ve done that one several times.

[quote=“sandman”]Feiren, you know that if you cross the Fuhe bridge instead of going under it and along to Jingmei, you can follow the riverside path all the way to Bitan without having to go on the traffic road at all, right?
That Xiandian loop one is a nice ride, though. I’ve done that one several times.[/quote]

No I did not! The last time I checked a few years ago, the Taipei Co. side wasn’t finished, and I usually just take the MRT. Thanks. Will update the next time I do the loop.

[quote=“AWOL”]whod be up for this late summer?

formosanfattire.com/trails/taroko.htm[/quote]

I could be. If the plan is just to go downhill from the top, this would be a great intro to cycling for those new to it. It’d be fun to add a day with the exciting Zhuilu Trail down in the gorge. Or river tracing below the trail.

Great to hear there are other cyclist on the south side of Taipei. Seems plenty based in Tien Mu, but a bit too much traffic to deal with when the mountains are so close already.

I think I have done many of the rdies you describe, though some I am not so sure of. I also put most of the rides I do into google earth, if anyone is interested I can send you the file.

My new favourite ride from Saturday is to ride up route 110 from Xindian to Sanxia then back along the bike path past Banciao and Younghe to Xindian. The 4m cobra I ran into crossing 110 was a tad unwelcome (though not for the blue truck driver who screamed to a halt, jumped out and grabbed it (presumably) for dinner), but the screaming tailwind on the bikepath home was sensational.

Let me know if and when you go out…during the week I am out at 5-6am, weekends a bit later.