Da'an park school raids

My school got raided this morning. It’s in the Da-an area. Thank the Buddha I wasn’t in the building at the time. They are going around to Kindergartens and asking if there are any foreigners on the premises. Careful peeps. Just curious about how things are going with the current crackdown? Anyone know of any recent deportations or has anyone else’s school been raided/harassed? What are the legalities pertaining to Kindy? Do the cops have to catch you teaching? In the building? I heard someone was nailed in Ta-an park with his kids and chucked out???

Also, does anyone know the law exactly regarding work permits? I heard that you have to work at the school with the address on it and no other. Even if it’s at a different branch of the same company? By the way this second question is about working at cram (bushiban) schools. Anyone have any legal insight into the matter?

Rob 123:

Why? Are you breaking the law by teaching illegally? Are we to come to your aid? Feel relieved that you weren’t deported for breaking the law?
Why not mule heroin from Thailand to Taipei; the money is much better and you don’t have to waste your valuable time with quasi-infants.
What are you waiting for? Not a wimp, are you? :smiling_imp:

Hook me up. Maybe I can combine both pushing heroin and teaching Kindy… Hmmm… Think about it. 14 extra people to have out on the street. I could retire in a couple of months! :sunglasses: Thanks Wolfie!

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Rob 123:

Why? Are you breaking the law by teaching illegally? Are we to come to your aid? Feel relieved that you weren’t deported for breaking the law?
Why not mule heroin from Thailand to Taipei; the money is much better and you don’t have to waste your valuable time with quasi-infants.
What are you waiting for? Not a wimp, are you? :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Humbug. Nobody in Taiwan can actually agree on what the law is relating to foreigners teaching very young kids. Isn’t that the point ?

Anyone know of ANY deportations of teachers working at kindy’s? I mean first hand knowledge of you yourself being deported, not the hearsay that we all catch from time to time. I have not been able to find a single report of ‘I was deported for teaching kindy with an ARC from another school!!’ Do these cases actually exist or are they just an urban myth!

No offence Rob123, but this is exactly what I mean!

Good point. Urban myth or terror is tot-land?
More importantly, why on earth would you waste time teaching near-infants (“small, intelligent, mobile units” as Fripp called them) when you can teach university students who you can take out on “field trips”?
Yes, some people like kids…so I hear…I also hear that some people like to flagellate themselves.

Anyone know of ANY deportations of teachers working at kindy’s? I mean first hand knowledge of you yourself being deported, not the hearsay that we all catch from time to time. I have not been able to find a single report of ‘I was deported for teaching kindy with an ARC from another school!!’ Do these cases actually exist or are they just an urban myth!

No offence Rob123, but this is exactly what I mean![/quote]
Maybe deportees don’t want to get online and share with the world that they were caught breaking the law. :wink:
But I promise…as soon as I get deported…and then to a computer…I will let you know…and I expect some support from all these human rights advocates on forumosa.com. :wink:

The poor guy asked a question.
Why are you so sarcastic.
There is alot of people teaching kindergarten.
If your school pays the money,nobody will be deported.
If they don’t,well,then I guess there is a chance.

[quote=“Vannyel”]Maybe deportees don’t want to get online and share with the world that they were caught breaking the law. :wink:
But I promise…as soon as I get deported…and then to a computer…I will let you know…and I expect some support from all these human rights advocates on forumosa.com. :wink:[/quote]

Me, too. If I get deported, I’ll share the whole adventure with the forumosa community–maybe. :laughing:

C’mon Wolf, don’t you think it’s weird that a government wants to decide what language your child should learn…who should teach him…and at what age he is allowed to be taught? It hasn’t been 100% established that learning English at an early age is harmful to the preservation of Chinese/Taiwanese/whatever culture. Why not tell parents when kids can start taking swimming classes, ballet classes, etc?
By all means, make sure those teachers are qualified if you have to, but outlawing instruction of a language seems a bit discriminatory/anal/xenophobic.
Besides, Taiwanese laws have always been guidelines rather than laws, so it’s hard to get used to that not being the case.
So, if you had lived in South Africa at a time when black-white marriages were illegal, people had to wear passes in order to go into certain areas, and you could legally be detained for up to 6 months without a trial, would you have cried “illegal!” if somebody had broken those laws? :smiley:

Why? The U.S. does this. :wink:

Why? The U.S. does this. :wink:[/quote]
Uh . . . no it doesn’t. Not only are there alternate-language programs in a hell of a lot of schools (especially classes taught in Spanish), but also you are free to send your (general sense, not you personally V) child to a private school that teaches in any language you want the child to learn in.

Uh . . . no it doesn’t. Not only are there alternate-language programs in a hell of a lot of schools (especially classes taught in Spanish), but also you are free to send your (general sense, not you personally V) child to a private school that teaches in any language you want the child to learn in.[/quote]

And foreigners can peacefully assemble to persuade the government to have or not have classes in English for 6 year old kids. In the US, that is.

That’s when they have the easiest time learning. My best students in Taiwan were my kindergartners. By the time they “graduated,” most were speaking English better than older kids who had been studying for years. I don’t think I could do it again, but it’s pretty easy work if you like kids. And where else are you going to get morning hours?

Uh . . . no it doesn’t. Not only are there alternate-language programs in a hell of a lot of schools (especially classes taught in Spanish), but also you are free to send your (general sense, not you personally V) child to a private school that teaches in any language you want the child to learn in.[/quote]

I agree. There was a French school in the (U.S.) town I used to live in and no one made a big stink about kindys learning and speaking only in French. And it was an academic town as well where people know a thing or two about education. Typical nervous Taiwanese racist crap.

Twonavels question/statement was:

Are you guys sure, I mean it has always been my understanding that the government, in the U.S., on some level, dictates what basic requirements must be met? Classes maybe taught in any language but at least where I attended school everyone had to take (and pass) an English class every year. As for private schools (church schools, etc.), the only state I know anything about is Tennessee and if a child in private school failed the required state testing twice in a row, he was then required, by law, to return to public schooling. So to revisit twonavels’s statement, I think - yes, in the U.S., the state government decides who is allowed to teach your child - a certified public school teacher, a parent meeting minimum state law requirements, a private school teacher meeting minimum state law requirements. No, perhaps the government does not decide at what age he is allowed to be taught but it does dictate at what ages he must be taught.

twocs [quote]And foreigners can peacefully assemble to persuade the government to have or not have classes in English for 6 year old kids. In the US, that is.[/quote]

Very true but some might think it’s a little self-serving for foreigners (who are teaching these classes and thus benefiting) to assemble to attempt to persuade the government to allow teaching foreign language to six year olds. :wink:

[quote=“Vannyel”]
twocs [quote]And foreigners can peacefully assemble to persuade the government to have or not have classes in English for 6 year old kids. In the US, that is.[/quote]

Very true but some might think it’s a little self-serving for foreigners (who are teaching these classes and thus benefiting) to assemble to attempt to persuade the government to allow teaching foreign language to six year olds. :wink:[/quote]

Vannyel, you’re in the same song and dance routine you always do. Someone suggests something like “people are hired to come to Taiwan and teach kindergarten” and you turn around and say “Very true” but …

Yes, that is the point.

I am quite confident, that as the spouse of a Taiwanese citizen, I am legally allowed to teach both my buxiban job and my kindy job (so long as it isn’t immersion English). The MOE however, see things differently, and if they told the police to deport me there would be nothing I could do about it.

Brian

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“Vannyel”]

Very true but some might think it’s a little self-serving for foreigners (who are teaching these classes and thus benefiting) to assemble to attempt to persuade the government to allow teaching foreign language to six year olds. :wink:[/quote]

Vannyel, you’re in the same song and dance routine you always do. Someone suggests something like “people are hired to come to Taiwan and teach kindergarten” and you turn around and say “Very true” but …[/quote]
What the hell does being hired to do a job have to do with foreigners having the right to peacefully assemble to persuade the government to have or not have classes in English???

Yes, that is the point.

I am quite confident, that as the spouse of a Taiwanese citizen, I am legally allowed to teach both my buxiban job and my kindy job (so long as it isn’t immersion English). The MOE however, see things differently, and if they told the police to deport me there would be nothing I could do about it.

Brian[/quote]

Bri: When we talked to the CLA about this in Qin Huizhu’s offices last year, the CLA rep said that although the MOE could require you to have a permit and kindy could be fined for this ‘violation’ the foreign spouse should not be deported. Let’s hope the police know that!