Damaged Spark Plug Hole Thread Chaser

I’ll have my assistant see if she can source an M14x10LgxP1.25 full threaded hex head screw and send it to you if that works for you. If the only fully threaded screw she can find is SHCS will that work for you too?

Well, that very kind of you.

Socket Head Cap Screw? (looked it up) should be OK.

For some reason I cant now recall I bought a big set of “funny” bits which I’ve hardly ever used.

Probably a bit rusty now but should still work.

Going over to Ktown again this afternoon but if its another blank, boltwise, I’ll let you know.

Just let me know. M14xP1.25 will most likely need to be special ordered.

This I do not understand. Taiwan Luthiers above says its a standard tap, and even I managed to buy one in Ktown, though there was a bit of lost-in-translation hassle involved.

If its a standard tap, surely it should be also a standard bolt? If the length is the issue that could probably be changed to something commoner

When I said standard I mean it’s not something that must be custom made or are proprietary. However it is the fine pitch variant, so you still must look a little harder for it…

Actually just a block or two North of The Good Kaohsiung Tool Shop. Pretty stealthy place. I would have walked right past it, assuming it dealt in Jade Chops, or some such Chinoiserie. Like the U.N.C.L.E New York HQ, which, IIRC, was disguised as a Chinese Laundry.

On going inside, though, turned out they did have a lot of taps, but apparently they didn’t have forming taps, or maybe they just didn’t have that size, but it seemed like the former. Either way, M-word.

Spent the rest of the evening looking for a local equivalent to this stuff, so I heard the M-word quite a bit more.

if you can wait a couple of weeks you may find all the bolts and bits you want here

not been for a few years but quite a lot of manufacturers there not just bolts but tooling also

Free samples?

And perhaps Girls, Girls Girls!

For the Mass-Meio Chorus

GirlieChorus

Meio, Meio
We’re sad to see you go
You ask of things that we dont know
But we can still go on with the show
Meio, Meio, Meio

Customer relations, its got to be a cinch
If you got the M-word
You don’t have to give an inch
Maybe find the wrong thing,
That’ll do at a pinch
Though chabuduo lacks the elegance
That blunts the foreign arrogance
Meio, Meio, Meio

Poetry of paucity
Victory of The Void
Meeting multiple Meio’s
Defeat is unalloyed
Tactical nuclear weapons
Would be uselessly deployed
Meio, meio, meio

One word to hide them all
And in the darkness bind them
You know the things you need exist
But you simply cannot find them.
You just have to grit your teeth
Maybe even grind them
Meio, meio, meio

If you, the punter, want to please
You really should learn to speak Chinese
But you know Meio, so dont you tease
First word you heard, probably be your last
When the light at tunnels end is suddenly fading fast
All these Meio’s lost in time, like luggage left on’t train.
Dont Think Too Much about them, you’re not coming back again
Meio, Meio Meio

Does he have a pulse?
Is he still breathing?
He was grinding his teeth earlier
But a bit old to be teething
Worth trying Western Medicine?
Some Foreign Pharma Pill?
He was waving this Lancet article around
When apparently taken ill.
We could stick some pins in him
But perhaps there would be no point
If he didn’t get better
Our noses would be out of joint
Meio…meio…meio

yep and Pens

Crap I pre registered thinking it was in Taipei… now what?

Just don’t go or make a trip to Ktown. They won’t chase you down but will send you an email every year

Cylinders ahowing piston tops. Visible “scar” on the middle cylinder wall,

Close up of middle cylinder. Zooming in, “scar” looks like lots of little impact craters. My guess is a broken bit of a piston ring rattling around.

Suppose in the future (if there is a future) I might have to take that piston out, but its a pain to remove the sump on this car so I’m a bit reluctant until I know if the other issues can be resolved.

Underside of head showing valve pockets

Standard double-ended thread chaser. Obviously too obstructed to use from inside.

Slimmer thread chaser used from inside, but still a bit obstructed

Yea, that’s going to be a bitch to remachine and all that…

If you pay a machine shop to helicoil it properly… bring your wallet, you are going to need it. either that or they’ll flat out refuse work if they are too busy.

The cylinder needs to be rebored and honed… and a new ring fitted. That cylinder wall looks like shit. Again, machine shop needed.

You know if you can go to a salvage yard where old cars get salvaged, maybe you can find an engine from the same/similar model/make of your car that happens to fit your car’s chassis. If you can do that, it’s probably the best way to go, at least if it turns out this engine has way too many problems to be worth fixing.

Not many of these left (when did you last see a Skywing?) .

Scrapyards don’t generally keep cars for which there is negligable demand for spares. They get chopped up for the metals.

Plus, if I found one, I would have no very good reason to assume a scrap engine would be in better knick internally than this one is

If it has a stamped engine number that’s on the cars registration document you cannot easily change it.

Is the other end of that equally short?

A brand new 3rd party head for that engine is only around US$100 so if you’re set on fixing it probably cheaper just to transfer everything to a new head rather than helicoil the one you have. Still suggest getting a longer standard tap, wheel stud, bolt or threaded bar and just drive it through from the valve side, particularly given the state of that centre cylinder. If successful just button it all up with the knowledge that it’s the last major work it will have and start looking out for a good beater.

Last I seen the below was down to 50K NT$, if you could register it!

I get the distinct impression that Taiwan is a throwaway society. Nobody salvages anything it seems except to take it to a scrap yard and sell it for money.

Re the VW Pointer, which I wouldn’t mind, except for it being a VW, (and FWD, and based on the Brazilian VW Gol, which Google insists on adding an F to, so good luck finding a workshop manual for THAT, though likely there will be some commonality with an old Polo) can’t register a truck in Taiwan unless you have a bizniz, which I don’t

Re engine swaps being quazi-illegal / administratively expensive, this would normally be the case, but I THINK the engine number is only on the head with these engines, so a short-block swap might be below the radar

Brand new third party head for 100US does not seem to make economic sense, BUT there IS a Charade clone that was big in China, so I suppose that might just explain it.

There would be no demand in Taiwan, though, so one would presumably have to get it shipped in?

As above though, the engine number might also be a problem

Universal First World characteristic, but amplified here because of higher local levels of mechanical cluelessness, and because having (and fixing) old stuff involves unbearable loss of face.

I was until recently involved with teaching a “sustainable development” course to mostly African students, and noted (and rather undiplomatically pointed out) the irony of Taiwanese (who fix nothing) teaching sustainability to Africans (who fix everything)

Thats pretty much the current plan (with a standard tap) except I intend lining the entry with high temp epoxy (ordered online) and back-tapping through it.

If I can get a forming tap I’ll try that first (without the epoxy), I have found a couple of (claimed) distributors in Tainan and Ktown but so far they havn’t responded to enquiries.