Dangerous local Fauna

Are they introduced into australia?

There are populations breeding wild in kaohsiung and pingtung counties. But they are sort of enabled by people.

They farm them in SA, guess they taste good, in a goose neck kind of way. Probably need to get the sauce just right.

I mean its common enough to see snakes in outdoor toilets in some parts of Australia. Nice and cozy coiled up under the roof.

I did not know they farmed them there. AFAIK, there are no feral populations of iguanas. We do have a lot of goannas, though, many species from 20 cm to 2 m in length.

that’s monitor lizards to you non-Oz speakers.

Check out this big bugger, the perentie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=614hIg2lNM8

I met a full sized goanna when I was trekking in the Blues once. Walked right up to me as I was filming and backing up as fast as I could. Heart was beating like a low-down guitar.

2 Likes

They farm alligators and iguanas, remember the guy that protested by dumping one by the Executive Yuan?

The problem is that, as with the ibis, many iguanas escaped. Unfortunately, we cannot make them soup -actually, in the old country we make them stir fried.- as wild ones are full of parasites, yucky.

We’d get tiger snakes under the cubby house at school

1 Like