Danhai LRT line now open

Yep! Saw it last night! Idiot driver was going to run the red light, but changed his mind and stopped where? Directly on top of the tracks! I shit you not! There were two orange vested flunkies standing on either side of the road to watch for such nonsense. One of them casually walked over to the driver and motioned with his light stick to pull his head out of his ass and get the fuck off the tracks. So, the driver did end up getting to run the red light. Yessiree, without gates, its only a matter of time before there is a huge accident caused my careless Taiwanese drivers!
[/quote]

Seems so far Kaoshiung tram which for most part runs on street level has been pretty good as far as NOT hitting cars/people. In the Harborside (Pier 2 esp.) it passes lots of people walking. Compared to Los Angeles (link from a few days ago, but seems happen quite often) http://www.foxla.com/news/local-news/vehicle-collides-with-metro-blue-line-train-in-downtown-la

From LA times news "Such deaths on Los Angeles’ six light-rail lines, which average about 5 million monthly boardings, are relatively rare. But the Blue Line is the exception. The 22-mile line connecting downtown Los Angeles with Long Beach has long been considered the deadliest in Southern California. Since 1990, nearly 120 people have died along the line — 31 by suicide — more than all other lines combined.

So maybe this will work well in Taipei too !

1 Like

Meanwhile, back in Tamsui: until the end of October, passengers on the Danhai LRT can ride like it’s 1884 with this specially marked train:

Guy

1 Like

Didnt they have a poll of local citizens who voted to keep the BRT, but they got rid of it

BRT can work will if they had a full network

Well the stations were basically abandoned but the line works fairly well and they still have some of the buses.

I really doubted that we had the political willpower to do this but good on the city for following through with their plans. It really is nice without scooters parked on every free space throughout the city.

Have you seen this yet ?

No.

Interestingly …

Evidently trying to soften the transition…

Guy

2 Likes

the light rail is slow af

soon Danhai LRT line will go the lover bridge

3 Likes

Some controversy with the planned Blue Seaside Line:

Guy

2 Likes

They want to run it along the river?! WTF great idea.

There are better people-friendly uses for beautiful riverside than for a mass transportation system.

And next to the river is the furthest distance from the most people.

How many people don’t realize the benefits to business of it running “through the Tamsui Old Street in the current plan”??? That’s the whole purpose, to transport people to/from/within useful areas.

6 Likes

They really seem obsessed with driving that tram through there somehow.

Me, it’s too congested even now.

Is it Zhongzheng road that people are concerned about? Or the small short Gongming street?

I wonder if the line will conflict with the heavy traffic on Zhongzheng road.

There’s literally only a sidewalk wide space in some places along the river.

The news story doesn’t mention street names… duh, that wouldn’t be important for a news story about streets…

1 Like

Just Zhongzheng it seems, or alternately down the riverfront prominade, or now apparently by the riverside. I can’t see why the Wenhua road section isn’t enough, and maybe add a station at the north end of Zhongzheng

So the plan is for this thing to cross the mouth of the river to Bali?

Guy

San Francisco has several street car lines that run on city roads largely without many accidents

And there are dedicated stretches like under market street and a few tunnels

They are much nicer than buses and very popular so popular in fact that currently due to Covid they are not in service but buses are

Go figure

1 Like

That would be something !!