🎯 Darts

Darts seem to be popular here in Taipei but I can’t seem to find where to buy a set of darts? Steel tip of course, not those plastic things for the electronic boards. Or alternatively does anyone have a set they want to sell?

Bad Mandarin is one of my favorite Bon Jovi songs.

There’s a bloke called Rodney who works for Shane English Schools. He’s the man in Taiwan to talk to regarding darts. I have no further information about him, other than he does the voice for the ‘Rodney’ character in the Shane English School ‘Spac’ books. Perhaps he posts on Forumosa?

Bars that host competitions ususally sell them.

facebook.com/pages/CHEERS-CLUB/158845745467
facebook.com/pages/EMILY-Bar/188821645116
facebook.com/group.php?gid=168269005698

Fuck darts-throw spears. I’m making one out of bamboo and a kitchen knife.

I got an order for some throwing tomahawks too. Making the targets out of old cabinet doors I’m letting get soaked in the rain. Spear throwing-now that’s a real pub sport.

Dang. This guy and Joe Cocker. His “WAAAAN-hundred-n-EIGHTY” has been a beloved part of my Christmas week since yt began hosting videos of the PDC championship in Ally Pally years ago.

The Voice (Russ Bray) retires from full-time refereeing.

2 Likes

I’ll miss that voice! Enhances the viewing experience. And, of course, the announcers losing their :poop: at nine-dart finishes. “I do not believe my goggling bins!” :joy:

1 Like
1 Like

Things have taken a turn at Ally Pally, where one side in the finals isn’t old enough to buy a beer.

One aspect of Littler’s improbable rise is that this 16-year-old doesn’t exactly look 16. With his portly frame and light beard, he could easily pass for a man twice his age, 16 going on 35. The topic comes up so frequently that during one recent appearance on British radio, the hosts informed him they were running a bet on whether Littler might actually be in his mid-30s. Their only evidence: well, just look at him.

“You’ve had a bet?” replied the incredulous, bearded Littler. “You’ve lost your money there because I’m 16.”

Asked specifically how long he’d sported the short, blond beard, Littler added: “I’d say a good two years now.”

1 Like

I was going to crack a joke about stereotyping what a world champion darts player needs to look like, but anyway this kid is getting there.
Additionally the British , Irish and Dutch seem to dominate at bar sports.

2 Likes

My FB feed was full of Luke Littler’s sudden rise to fame & the comments were mostly directed towards his age and how he appeared to look wayyyyyyyyyyy older than 16. :laughing:
download

Yes, he’s a freak of nature, at 16 yrs old. Quite extraordinary.
And what a final!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXuzM-ZF-8

2 Likes

Littler (irony inserted here) did not play consistently. Luke was not on his A-game, but good enough (tonnes of 180s) to win even with some silly errors. While watching the video, I was blessed to see Ali G show up!

1 Like

I only saw the yt highlights - 180s are going to make the cut - but yeah compared to earlier matches the sheer number of 180s seemed remarkable. Also the number of bullseye attempts by both players.

Finishing 2nd in the very first darts championship of your first 16 years must feel pretty special. (I wonder if 16yo Littler even knows who Ali G is?)

1 Like

Respect to the guy, when I was 16, I was discovering the Cure and the Smiths, trying to snog girls at discos in south east London.

His board management wasn’t great at times. He prefers doubles on the right side of the board, but kept going for double 16. Missing the chance to go 5-2 ahead further seemed to break his spirit and Humphries then found his momentum. It was a cracking final, and Littler is a rare talent. He’s been given a spot in the premier league so it’s going to be good to watch him develop in 2024.

His beard grows more evenly than mine, which is personally more annoying than his incredible darting prowess.

I threw shuriken at a board in a bar in Myoko last week.

Now that’s a very Japanese take on darts.

Actually, ninjas did use straight darts as well as star-shaped shuriken.

But probably not in a 180-focused manner.

Note: The major varieties of shuriken are the bō shuriken (棒手裏剣, stick shuriken) and the hira shuriken (平手裏剣, flat shuriken) or shaken (車剣, wheel shuriken, also read as kurumaken).
wikipedia

Update: