FYI. Always physically destroy your expired credit cards. The chip and the NFC antennae.
by rewriting the expiration date a point-of-sale (POS) terminal reads over near-field communication (NFC), without breaking any of the card’s cryptography.
I do wonder how the chances of a successful chargeback would be in this case. I’d guess many banks wouldn’t check that thoroughly and simply conclude that the card was present and thus the transaction is valid. If the terminal doesn’t notice that the expiration date has been tampered with, I’d guess that the banks won’t notice either…
Also, curious if this only affects cards / terminals in the US or also in other countries.
I’m still curious how to properly recycle credit cards in Taiwan.
In Europe, they count as small electronic devices and thus aren’t allowed in the landfill but have to be brought to electronics recycling centers (or send back to the bank).
You can hand them into the bank and they will put them through their shredder and deal with it. I just shred mine myself and drop the bits in rubbish, it’s a mixed material so probably be exempt from recycling.
And you’re gonna throw away all that gold?
“All that”? how many cards do you think I have.
![]()
It’s gold. Ok. Shred it and give it to me.
Next time I shred a card you’re quite welcome to come pick it up. My shredder is P5 level so they are already in 2x6mm pieces, easier for chemicals to brake down to reclaim the gold. You can then refine it into a saleable material.
I get a new card maybe once every 3 years so if you may have a little wait.
For cards and other things, (e.g. phones, old flash cards, etc), if you don’t have a powerful shredder or trustworthy recycling option, you can always put them in the microwave for two seconds, (one is not enough, three is too much).
So, use the 7-11 microwave?
If you put it in for a 7-11 microwave for 38 seconds it will get as hot as the sun and start its own nuclear fusion, (37 seconds are not enough, and no one has ever got to 39).
![]()
So just hook up a microwave to a data center , gather up my old credit cards and bingo bango, all is well!
Self funding data security.
