Davids English Learning Center (大衛美語)

The good the bad and the Ugly anyone?

The good is that they don’t generally interfere in your teaching too much. The bad is the pay. And the ugly is the fact that, no matter how much you correct the students, they generally keep on making the same mistakes!

A friend of mine moved there from Kojen because he thought the pay was higher, but turned out it wasn’t. At Kojen if you have let’s say 6 one-hour classes, actually you only teach 50 minutes for each one, but are paid for 6 hours. At David’s, they only paid him for 6 50-minute sessions, which he didn’t realize they would do, so the pay worked out being less.

A relatively recent opinion here: David's English Center (大衛美語) in Taipei

The good: Total freedom to do whatever you want in class

The bad: You’re gonna have to figure out EVERYTHING to do in class because their materials suck and are essentially a long list of vocab words.

The Ugly: They lied to me about students sleeping in class (I made students physically move around every 10-15 minutes, and talk often. It’s certainly possible that people didn’t like my class, but they sure as hell weren’t sleeping, ever.)

They used that to control me. They started me at a low salary because I had no experience with the promise of a raise as soon as I had some positive feedback. After having students tell ME they really liked my class, (so, knowing people liked me)and after repeatedly getting “not yet” when I asked if there was feedback, they started making up bullshit about sleeping students. Maybe I caused trouble by asking them for something they said they’d tell me as soon as possible, I don’t know.

They kept saying I was at the top of the list for new classes and private students, but for some reason they didn’t like me and refused to give me anything. They actually canceled another teacher’s class (who was trying to give it to me) rather than let me teach students that were ready to learn.

It seems like David’s really varies by location, but I sure wasn’t impressed. At the time I worked there I found another post on here where someone was forced to teach what later became my class (a 2 1/2 hour class) as a “demo”. This means as a free substitute.

Later the boss disappeared and the school said she wasn’t even working there anymore, yet I continued to get email from her… rarely. It would take her months… MONTHS… to reply to a damn email. Then she’d say she was so busy with her poor kids that she couldn’t do anything.

Other teachers there seemed happy, but definitely be careful.