Day to day living expenses

For TWO 300 is ok, at least not 300NT for one, still 150 NT per person is more than I spend per meal, maybe you eat a little bit more… :s
I cook for 2-3 days, and only for myself (with several exceptions, when my friends join me)

[quote=“sandman”]
since WAY before you were even BORN, WeiLina. :laughing:[/quote]

Sandman, dont say it in this way, you sound soooooo old ^^
And why have you understood it as if I wanted to teach you? No any single intention, laoshi! :wink: :bow:

[quote=“WeiLina”][quote=“sandman”]
When we cook at home I usually spend around NT$300 for two also. So does my wife. And she’s been shopping in traditional markets
[/quote]

For TWO 300 is ok, at least not 300NT for one, still 150 NT per person is more than I spend per meal, maybe you eat a little bit more… :s
I cook for 2-3 days, and only for myself (with several exceptions, when my friends join me)

[quote=“sandman”]
since WAY before you were even BORN, WeiLina. :laughing:[/quote]

Sandman, dont say it in this way, you sound soooooo old ^^
And why have you understood it as if I wanted to teach you? No any single intention, laoshi! :wink: :bow:[/quote]

How about telling what you do actually cook for NT30-50. I can’t see anyone cooking what most of us westerners would call a meal (and I don’t mean a cheap stirfry with strings of chicken or a hideous bowl of rice porridge) for NT30. But I am looking for ways to cut down on my grocery bills so if you have the magic formula…

If “TheLostCostaRican” had posted this I would understand.

If “TheLostSudanese” had posted this I would let it go.

But you say you’re from Sweden?!!!

Have some pride, buddy!

When it’s 13 degrees in December in Uppsala, I bet the locals are outside in T-shirts tossing Lefse (or the Swedish equivalent of Frisbee-shaped food).[/quote]

Uhm, I guess you haven’t been to Sweden then…
And no, people don’t walk around in T-shirts when it’s 13 degrees outdoors, that’s considered quite chilly. And it would be tunnbröd I guess, but it’s generally square, not round…
Besides, I spent 8 years in the UK before moving here and you get used to the warmer weather quite quickly.
Oh, and not to mention the fact that we’ve got insulation, triple-glazing and heating in Sweden…

[quote=“Mucha Man”]
How about telling what you do actually cook for NT30-50. I can’t see anyone cooking what most of us westerners would call a meal (and I don’t mean a cheap stirfry with strings of chicken or a hideous bowl of rice porridge) for NT30. But I am looking for ways to cut down on my grocery bills so if you have the magic formula…[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Okay! I can tell you what I cook, and even post pics with peasure, if I only know how to do it… I always take photos to show my Mom that I eat well here…haha

First, I should confess, I cook mostly Russian traditional dishes:

1. Soups ( chicken soup with cabbage (“schee”), red beet soup (“bortsh”), fish soup (“ucha”), mushroom soup, soup with Frikadellen (meatballs)…etc )
  2. Meat dishes (pork and chicken: stewed (or jugged?) meat, steakes, cutlets, meat roll with egg inside, etc)
  3. Side dishes (served for meat dishes): boiled, fried, steamed vegetables or pasta
  4. Pancakes for breakfast and for tea, I love pancakes (both small &thick or thin&big (those with caviar on all pics about Russia))
  5. Salads ( Russian potato salad, Fish meat salad, Cabbage salad with fish sticks, etc )

E.g. Stewd chicken with vegetables (my b/f loved it, and all my friends as well, highly recommend it!!!):
2 chicken legs ( about 80 NTD)
1 carrot (about 10 NTD)
1/2 onion (about 7 NTD)
1-2 garlic cloves
Salt, pepper

Legs should be cut into 4 parts, add salt and pepper, put into pot, put garlic cloves between chicken parts, cover with onion and carrot, 1 tablespoon mayonaise (I bring it from Russia, hate taiwanese mayonais) and let it stew for ca 40 mins. Total cost: 100 NTD, and 4 portions, 25 NTD per portion

Side dish: boiled pasta: 36 NTD, little hornes, made in Taiwan, I boil 1/3 of 500gr package and use it for 2 days, 36x 1/3 = 12 NTD
Total cost per portion: 6 NTD
or Broccoli, or Cauliflower, or mashed potatoes, or … Price doesnt exceed 30 NTD, if you buy it at the market, but after typhoon is very expensive, then, I use pasta.

E.g. cutlets: Meat (yesterday price was 200/kg), I bought a package with price 86 NTD, less than 1/2 kg.
1 egg 3,2 NTD
2-3 tablespoons of wheat flour ca 3 NTD
several layers of onion ca 5 NTD
3-4 garlic cloves
Salt, oil (little required, I have a teflon pan)
I got 8 cutlets, for 4 meals,but 1-2 I will eat as a breakfast. Normally I eat 2 cutlets and sidedish and salad or preserved cabbage (Sauerkraut, do it myself) or pickled cucumbers (as well, do it myself)
Total cost: 100 NTD, 25 NTD for meal + any sidedish from previous passage.

Soups:
even cheaper - the most expensive is bortsch, due the price of red beet. I have a 2L pot.
some meat for broth - 50-60 NTD
1 potatoe 7 NTD
1 red beet (Last time I bought 80 NTD)
1/3 carrot 3 NTD
2-3 leaves of cabbage 5 NTD (?)
several layers of onion ca. 3 NTD
1-2 Bay leaves
pepper and spices

Total cost: 160, at least 4 portions - 40 NTD per portion.

So that’s my menu… just plain Russian food, nothing special.
Sure, if you cook anything special, it will cost more. But I don’t need all that high-class food, I only need our traditional dishes.

Just a tip for your English dictionary, it’s Bay leafs, not Laurel leafs :wink:
It’s pretty much the same things, just different terms for when you’re cooking with them afaik.
And you’re right, beetroot is insanely expensive here among other imported vegetables. Has anyone ever seen swede on sale here? I really long for some swede mash…

Airconditioning rocks. The Good Lady Wife doesn’t like it at all. She doesn’t like beer either. Or sex. In fact… :doh:[/quote]

That’s cos she’s too bloody hot. Convince her on the beer and ac front and the rest will follow.

WeiLina, sounds fab. I made a stew last night; organic lamb, turnips. Ahhh… It’s snowing here.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“marboulette”][quote=“poena”]

1500/month with air con? What? Our latest power bill was 6k. We only run one air con, and only in the bedroom at night.

marboulette[/quote][/quote]

get a new unit or seal off the unit in the window and all other windows/doors better. NO way your air con should be so much. Largest bill I EVER had was 3000.[/quote]

In summer our electric averages 9k +

If “TheLostCostaRican” had posted this I would understand.

If “TheLostSudanese” had posted this I would let it go.

But you say you’re from Sweden?!!!

Have some pride, buddy!

When it’s 13 degrees in December in Uppsala, I bet the locals are outside in T-shirts tossing Lefse (or the Swedish equivalent of Frisbee-shaped food).[/quote]

OFF TOPIC:
Just got a picture from a Costa Rican in Germany, quite astonished to find nudists in the public parks this time of the year…

[quote=“Icon”]

OFF TOPIC:
Just got a picture from a Costa Rican in Germany, quite astonished to find nudists in the public parks this time of the year…[/quote]

Was he/she shocked about the forests on the nudists? Those Green-Party supporting Euros really need to learn how to shave. :laughing:

Yep, a bit. That’s why she was sending the pic for the world to see! :smiley:
I would have done the same, though. :blush:

As to daily expenses, I’ve found that:

1. Breakfast is the most expensive food item all day. Prepare accordingly. make your own sandwiches, buy yogurt and granola in bulk, etc… in summary, plan ahead and don’t rely on fried foodstuffs that are exposed to little critters all night long.

2. AC is not a luxury, nor is a heater in winter. It means saving in medical bills. However, do check that your building is residential and not commercial -more expensive utilities. Also, newer ACs consume less power, so they are a good investment. Otherwise, have the old ones checked and cleaned throughly, that should help. In any case, check for leaks and people stealing your electricity. Ask old tenants for old bills and compare usage. Is there something fishy in Taipei?

3. Transportation here is convenient and cheap, just make sure it is also safe.

4. Traditional markest are your friend. Buy as much as you need only, freeze leftovers, sahre with friends, have cheap parties on fruit and home made snacks.

5. Resist temptation. 50-nts latte here, a 25 cookie there… not only your waistline will expand.

I eat local -too tired/lazy to cook lately- and yes, Western food or a decent cafe meal can be 200+ for lunch. But then I bring my own coffee and snacks to work, plus milk -big bucks here- and for dinner I have some fruit, cereal, noodles or a small sandwich at home -50nts max I guess.

Weilina, thanks for the recipes. I see where your low prices come in: tiny portions. Most of your dishes would be fit for one or two meals for me and I have a normal appetite.

But again, good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

One last point: it is much cheaper to buy veggies from the markets but if you are concerned about your health organic is the only way to go in Taiwan.

Or it might be if there was ANY regulation on what they call organic!

There will be after 1 January. No product can be labeled organic unless it has been certified by one of Taiwan’s for certification bodies or a recognized international one. Actually this has been in effect for the last year, but there was a grace period. The rules are quite strict.

There are regulations, and there are several very credible outlets, which is one reason why Hualien organic produce is now sold in Canada.

Oh, saw Feiren got to this before me.

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]
Things that are in general cheaper here imho is most fruit and vegetables[/quote]
I guess that would be the case for someone coming from Sweden, but I’ve found that most fruits and vegetables are more expensive here than back in the US.[/quote]

I just bought a weeks worth of fruit and veg (for one person for lunch (salad) and cooking dinner every day) at the wet market for NT$500.

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“TheLostSwede”]
Things that are in general cheaper here imho is most fruit and vegetables[/quote]
I guess that would be the case for someone coming from Sweden, but I’ve found that most fruits and vegetables are more expensive here than back in the US.[/quote]

thats crazy, unless youre buying foreign fruits like strawberries from California.
Just get local fruits and vegetables. No way in hell Taiwan is more expensive.

[quote=“Jack Burton”]
thats crazy, unless youre buying foreign fruits like strawberries from California.
Just get local fruits and vegetables. No way in hell Taiwan is more expensive.[/quote]
I guess it depends on the season. Cabbage, for example, was incredibly cheap a few months ago, and now it’s four times as expensive as it was.

But generally speaking, things like broccoli, carrots, corn, oranges, bananas, apples (US imported, of course) are substantially more expensive than back in the US.

[quote=“barfomcgee”][quote=“Jack Burton”]
Just get local fruits and vegetables. No way in hell Taiwan is more expensive.[/quote]
I guess it depends on the season. Cabbage, for example, was incredibly cheap a few months ago, and now it’s four times as expensive as it was.

But generally speaking, things like broccoli, carrots, corn, oranges, bananas, apples (US imported, of course) are substantially more expensive than back in the US.[/quote]

Bananas? Well, even if true, they are not picked green and ripened during shipment so should qualify as premium. :smiley:

But, yeah, eat seasonal and expect massive price hikes after typhoons.

Bananas seem to fluctuate rapidly in price. One week they are NT$20 for five, the next week they’re $50-60 for the same bunch. I guess you have a point about freshness though, since a lot of the bananas sold in the US are from Central America.

Aren’t the bananas here GMO though? They seem a little too perfect.

Just bought a bientang from the organic place: wu gu mi -5 grain black rice-, tofu, veggies, soup, for 100nts. Well worth it for the peace of mind… and stomach.

Add honey something tea drink, 30nts, and you are set. No hassle, no breaking the piggy bank.