Day to day living expenses

perfect bananas are just well-grown.

no GMO bananas anywhere at the moment, but to save all edible bananas from extinction, there is a race to develop a genetically modified fungus-resistant variety. without such a development, many many people who depend on bananas in suubsistence farming will starve.

all bananas are basically clones of a very very small number of strains, and have been propagated from the ancestral plants for maybe 10,000 years, so they are very very similar genetically, if not identical. most genetic diversity from bananas has been lost, leaving the banana very vulnerable to disease, especially black fungus.

don’t condemn genetic modification out of hand. Please condemn the underhand business practices of the massive vertically-integrated agrobusinesses like Monsanto, but don’t condemn the modified crops that will save future peoples. this includes modified rice to grow with less water, bananas to resist disease, cotton to use less pesticides, added vitamin content for starch vegetables, etc.

i used to be against genetic modification of crops, simply because that was then an untested technology. now, after perhaps 20 years of development, its value and safety has been shown many times over. the only concerns i still have with most genetic modification are the unintended spread of modified plants and perhaps displacement of the wild-type ancestral plants, and the nefarious business schemes that the big businesses force on farmers who use their products, but that too is being broken as genei insertion becomes cheaper, easier and better.

see here

Except that people have gene modified crops and plants for thousands of years, this isn’t something new, the difference being that rather than manually cross breeding crops and plants, it’s now done in a lab in a much more scientific way and for some reason it’s now become an “evil” thing to do.
Sure, I’m not big on the idea to mix jelly fish with tomatoes to make glow in the dark tomatoes or whatever it was they did, as this has no practical use. However, if the gene modification is for the benefit of mankind, then there’s a reason for it.

I dunno about some organic stuff as well, it’s over rated imho, but I’ll agree that some organic stuff tastes better, but it’s not always the case. I guess I’m just not one to jump onto things like that, but then again, if you can afford it and think you reap benefits from it, then good for you.

I have to say though, I can’t stand local carrots, they’re really bitter and doesn’t taste nice at all, so of all the things I buy that I try to find imported, it’s carrots…

I do think we’re way off topic now though and I don’t think this was what the OP was after.

Then why comment on it? Do you have any idea how polluted much of the soil is along the west coast of Taiwan, to say nothing of the groundwater used on crops? Smart people eat organic in Taiwan not because it tastes better but because the “Taiwan miracle” came at a big price on the environment.

And you think it’s a lot better where you’re from?
Back home we’re still radioactive thanks to Chernobyl and I don’t think most “western” countries really are that great, as we’ve polluted our countries over the years as well. Although, I’m aware most places are trying to clean up now, which might not be happening at the same extent here.
But you stick with your organic stuff and I’ll stick to what I eat and maybe we’ll find out if you out live me one day or not.

Bought a small turkey from Costco for about NT$1,000. Cooked it and had a great meal Saturday night. Heated some rests for dinner the next day, and had another great meal. Made sandwiches for lunch today, and having turkey soup with, yes, more turkey for dinner tonight after work and most likely sandwiches again for lunch tomorrow. A bit tired of it by the end of it all, but who cares. That’s two of us eating each at least 4-5 meals out of that bird. Do the math, it’s darn cheap! Had to buy veggies and bread, too, but still pretty affordable.

We do the same thing with ham and chicken sometimes, too. Beats the local food, IMO, and it’s cheaper!

marboulette

PS: To my knowledge, Costco only sells the bird at this time of year.

I’m currently partaking of some recession-busting booze. My local Wellcome (well, actually a 40 minute ride away from) in Chiayi City is selling Taiwan Beer for NT$34 per 500ml can. I stocked up on supplies at noon and I’ve already drunk myself a good saving.
They’re also selling discounted cooking rice wine, but I have not yet fallen to Quentinian levels of drinking depravity so I just stuck with the beer.

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]And you think it’s a lot better where you’re from?
Back home we’re still radioactive thanks to Chernobyl and I don’t think most “western” countries really are that great, as we’ve polluted our countries over the years as well. Although, I’m aware most places are trying to clean up now, which might not be happening at the same extent here.
But you stick with your organic stuff and I’ll stick to what I eat and maybe we’ll find out if you out live me one day or not.[/quote]

Okay, believe what you want. I have been following food safety issues in Taiwan for 12 years but I’m sure you have something on your side besides firm convictions. So hey, agree to disagree.

Look, I’m not stupid, but I don’t go over the top either, as then there’s really nothing you can eat, as mankind has pretty much managed to poison everything on this planet. It’s not as if I happily go out and buy stuff that’s bad for me and I pick and choose my stuff, but I’m not going out of my way to get stuff that says organic in the package and costs 20x as much as something that isn’t.
On the other hand, I never said I don’t by the odd organic stuff and it can sometimes be cheaper, like Carrefours tinned kidney beans, the organic ones are less than half the price of their normal stuff, go figure on that one…

I’m not taking sides on the organic debate, but just curious.

Mucha Man, you mentioned “several credible organic markets” in Taiwan, where one can apparently believe the organic label. What markets are you referring to? Any in/near the Songshan area that you’re aware of?

I’m sure I wouldn’t bother with organic if it’s more than a short bike ride away or is noticeably more expensive, but I’d be curious to check it out. (I have gone in some neighborhood orgo stores and found them expensive and very limited in selection, but perhaps you’re referring to something else).

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]I’m not taking sides on the organic debate, but just curious.

Muzha Man, you mentioned “several credible organic markets” in Taiwan, where one can apparently believe the organic label. What markets are you referring to? Any in/near the Songshan area that you’re aware of?

I’m sure I wouldn’t bother with organic if it’s more than a short bike ride away or is noticeably more expensive, but I’d be curious to check it out. (I have gone in some neighborhood orgo stores and found them expensive and very limited in selection, but perhaps you’re referring to something else).[/quote]

Two immediate ones are Cottonfields, which has 5 or six stores around Taipei, and the Housewives’ Association which I believe has locations around the country. The latter is extremely strict, to the point where they won’t sell pork as they have not found any safe source in Taiwan.

Thanks. I don’t suppose you know the Mandarin for those?

[quote=“TheLostSwede”]Look, I’m not stupid, but I don’t go over the top either, as then there’s really nothing you can eat, as mankind has pretty much managed to poison everything on this planet. It’s not as if I happily go out and buy stuff that’s bad for me and I pick and choose my stuff, but I’m not going out of my way to get stuff that says organic in the package and costs 20x as much as something that isn’t.
On the other hand, I never said I don’t by the odd organic stuff and it can sometimes be cheaper, like Carrefours tinned kidney beans, the organic ones are less than half the price of their normal stuff, go figure on that one…[/quote]

Maybe not stupid but perhaps ignorant of the way Taiwan was developed and why that led to contamination of much of the west’s fertile land and water. If you think avoiding produce from an area that had heavy unregulated industrial development for the last 40 years is over the top then I guess we disagree on what over the top means.

[quote=“almas john”]I’m currently partaking of some recession-busting booze. My local Wellcome (well, actually a 40 minute ride away from) in Jiayi City is selling Taiwan Beer for NT$34 per 500ml can. I stocked up on supplies at noon and I’ve already drunk myself a good saving.
They’re also selling discounted cooking rice wine, but I have not yet fallen to Quentinian levels of drinking depravity so I just stuck with the beer.[/quote]

Just keep tellin’ yerself, “The more I DRINK, the more I SAVE!”

Disclaimer

Of course you should be a responsible drinker, and never drive after drinking.

Later.

Cottonfields:湘淳、棉花田生機園地

sun-organism.com.tw/news.asp

The closest store to Songshan is probably this one on Nanjing E. Rd. Section 5

南京東門市:台北市松山區南京東路五段137號(中華開發大樓旁)
TEL:02-2764-3069

The Housewives Association is 台灣主婦聯盟生活消費合作社

hucc-coop.tw/

They appear to have two outlets in Songshan:

東區好所在 105台北市松山區八德路三段12巷52弄5號 (02)2579-8996 台北分社
民生取貨站 105台北市松山區民生東路五段36巷8弄54號 (02)2761-3738 台北分社

As MM said, both are very reputable.

Thanks, Feiren. The shop on Xinyi Rd near the intersection with Lishui St (not far from Alleycats in other words) is the largest I have seen and has the widest selection.

WeiLina’s recipes made me hungry. Funny thing is, a lot of it is very very similar to the kind of stuff we usually have at home. But your amounts would leave me hungry for sure!

And I’m not old, WeiLina – I’m only 50!

[quote=“sandman”]WeiLina’s recipes made me hungry. Funny thing is, a lot of it is very very similar to the kind of stuff we usually have at home. But your amounts would leave me hungry for sure!

And I’m not old, WeiLina – I’m only 50![/quote]

No, amounts are just right: who will eat 2 litters of bortsh at once??? :noway: :noway:
It’s a pitty I can’t post pics here, you’ll see it’s quite normal portions. Sure, you can’t over-eat and that’s why I am not a “fat western girl” :sunglasses:

I know that you’re not old, my Mom is 54 and she’s YOUNG! I only have said that sounded as if you were… have been buying ages before I was born…

It’s organic all the way for me, whenever I can possibly get my hands on it, and I’m quite willing to pay double or triple for it.

Cottonfields is excellent: I covet hopes that one day they’ll open a store near to where I live or somewhere I can get to conveniently, since my current circumstances make it hard for me to get to any of their present locations.

As far as cost of eating is concerned, I’m lucky in that I love eating simple, wholesome foods, and never tire of eating my favourites day after day. One of my staples is potatoes baked in their skins and served under a layer of broccoli and melted cheese - it’s quick and easy to prepare, inexpensive, nutritious, filling and absolutely delicious.

[quote]“The human appetite for animal flesh is a driving force behind virtually every major category of environmental damage now threatening the human future: deforestation, erosion, fresh water scarcity, air and water pollution, climate change, biodiversity loss, social injustice, the destabilization of communities, and the spread of disease.”
[/quote]
…and it tastes so good.
“There’s a place for all of God’s creatures…right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.”
Jeff Foxworthy
:smiley: