DDR4 RAM (UDIMM) *original* modules (Samsung, Hynix, Micron)

I thought this would be an easy thing to find, but boy was I wrong…

Looking for “professional” RAM - not gaming, overclocking, bling-bling LED lights stuff, but original modules from the top manufacturers. For exact models see the list below. For discussion about "why don’t you just buy Kingston ValueRAM, Adata, SuperLegendKillerLED-BlingBling-Overclocker-RAM… like everyone else - sure, but maybe in the “Technology” section?

I tried the obvious places. everyone was very friendly and trying to be helpful, but no avail:

• Guanghua: No. Everyone said “Sorry, no original Samsung, Hynix, Micron (only Micron-Crucial)”.

• PCHome: Only 2nd hand modules that have been removed from PCs during upgrading. Trying to avoid 2nd hand.

• Ruten: No. Same as PCHome, 2nd hand. Except for one seller - in Japan. Trying to avoid shipping from abroad.

• ASUS: No. PChome showed one 2nd hand photo mentioning an ASUS spare part number. After asking in several ASUS shops I ended up in the official ASUS repair center “Royal Club”. Nooo, sorry, we don’t have this. You have to go to Samsung to buy this.

• Samsung: No. Hotline only in Chinese, managed to somehow convey what I want, get a different number. That number also only in Chinese, manage to get someone speaking English call me back - great! “Sorry, we don’t sell directly to end customers, you have to go through a reseller”. Sure, no problem. Called the reseller they recommended - “Sorry, we only sell flash memory, SSDs.”

So… any not so obvious ideas? All I can think of now is to try to find out if DELL, HP, Lenovo etc. use the exact part numbers I’m looking for and hope they are more useful at supplying spare parts than ASUS…

List of exact memory types I’m looking for. Some older, some current:

• SK Hynix HMA41GU6AFR8N-TF
• SK Hynix HMA81GU6AFR8N-UH
• SK Hynix HMA81GU6CJR8N-VK
• Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1
• Micron MTA16ATF1G64AZ-2G1A2
• Micron MTA8ATF1G64AZ-2G3B1
• Samsung M378A1G43DB0-CPB
• Samsung M378A1K43BB1-CPB
• Samsung M378A1G43EB1-CPB
• Samsung M378A1K43BB2-CRC
• Samsung M378A1G43EB1-CRC
• Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CRC
• Samsung M378A1K43CB2-CTD

The obvious i think is check on Digikey and Mouser. For example your Micron one gets this result.

https://www.mouser.tw/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=MTA8ATF1G64AZ

You can also go to the company website, like SK Hynix for example and look up their product and download the datasheet.

https://www.skhynix.com/products.view.do?vseq=1548&cseq=75

Ordering information and codes will be at the bottom and some other place in the website will have a list of suppliers.

Edit, a search on the same Micron part on Digikey suggests many of this type are now obsolete, that doesnt mean there isn’t an equivalent around, but need to look into what those exact meanings on the end of the part number represent.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/memory-cards-modules/memory-modules/505?k=MTA8ATF1G64AZ

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I didn’t think of distributors yet. While I am very well aware of them, somehow I was under the impression they don’t cater to end customers - maybe I should have mentioned I want only 2 pcs, for private use :upside_down_face: To be honest, even after looking around the websites I’m still not sure if they sell to end customers. But I guess that point is moot anyway, because…

Yep, that’s one of them. Unfortunately: Apart from the outrageous price (like 3x as much as it realistically should be), it’s not stocked, and minimum order is 100pcs. Same for all other models I found at those two big distributors.

Good idea, thanks! Even though they only list distributors, not dealers, maybe one of them might help me find a dealer: https://www.skhynix.com/eng/support/distributor.jsp

Yes, in this complete list there are many parts that are older, eg. obsolete.

Typically these end parts represent die revisions and/or shrinks. Meaning: other modules. I want to get one of these exact types though, not “equivalents”, since die shrinks or revisions mean are not exactly the same.

Good link to search by product type, Thanks! Unfortunately, no UDIMMs by those manufacturers are on stock, and all that are still orderable seem to have minimum quantity 100.

What’s the difference between these two types?

Can also try places like ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=HMA41GU6AFR8N&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_osacat=0&_odkw=HMA41GU6AFR8Nv

Maybe better to discuss in the technology section… But here we go. Experts please bear with me for simplifying a bit, and maybe not using the correct terms:

1. My main reason for this post: The former are not validated with my mainboard, while several of the latter are. These are what I’m looking for.

2. “Original modules” are strictly specified, meaning if you buy a certain part number you get the exact same thing every time. If anything changes, the part number changes. Most other modules are specified more roughly, so if you buy the same part number you get something similar, but can be different in the details: pcb type and layout, SPD eeprom content, ram chip vendor, type, stepping, die technology / transistor size

3. Original modules have the complete design and validation from one vendor: pcb, chips and eeprom contents. 3rd party module vendors design the PCB but don’t manufacture their own dram chips.

1 Like

Are you after ECC RAM or wat

Nope. Simple Non-ECC UDIMMs. But from the list above :wink: