Death Threats for Publishing Report That Surge Has Cut US Mi

Somebody doesn’t play well with others…

[quote]Drudge Gets Death Threats for Publishing Report That Surge Has Cut US Military Deaths in Iraq By 60%
(excert)
"RUSH: Do you remember the left, the anti-war left had one of their pathetic little anti-war protests in Washington? It seems like it was this year, but time is really, really flying. Anyway, there was this Code Pink babe that went to the microphones and said this, do you remember?

CODE PINK BABE: We women of the United States have a very clear message for every single presidential candidate, including or especially, Hillary Clinton. And we women say, puuuull ouuuut noooow! (Cheers and applause.)

RUSH: Does that not remind you guys of your first and second wives? Maybe even thirds. Pull out now. All right, we got news from Kuwait. “The rate of killings of US troops in Iraq has been on the decline, down by 60 percent, since the launch of the new security measures in Baghdad, according to statistics revealed by the Multi-National Force -Iraq Combined Press Information Centre. Only 17 members of the US military in Iraq have been killed since February 14 till March 13, compared to 42 from January 13 to February 13; the rate was on the decline during the first month of the security crackdown,” called the surge. So the bottom line here is the surge is working. I hope I’m not speaking out of school, but Matt Drudge sent me an e-mail this morning. After he posted this story he started getting death threats and hate mail from kooks accusing him of lying and putting out this kind of news. Drudge said, “You know, it wasn’t until I started getting all these that I actually realized that you are right, they do want to lose.”

That’s a great point, too. I’ve had a number of my friends, these famous dinner parties I described going to in Connecticut and down here – I mention Connecticut only because those are the worst – well, the most challenging. People up there are just depressed as they can be. At any rate, recently somebody said, “Do you really think the Democrats want to lose?” Now, these are smart people, people that know me very well, intimately, not in the biblical sense, but nevertheless intimately, and they still think I’m going a little over the top. Yes, they want to lose. They are invested in it. They own defeat. Folks, do you understand politically the worst thing that can happen for these people is for the surge to work. The worst thing that can happen would be for this Iraq war to end in a victory. The Democrats are so far out, they can’t come back and claim any credit for it whatsoever. They cannot permit victory to take place. They just can’t. So any news like this that gets publicized, whoever is responsible for it, is going to hear from these kooks, from the fringe"[/quote]

The article referred to:
[url=http://www.kuna.net.kw/Home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=961365]Baghdad security crackdown seriously curbs killings of US soldiers
MIL-IRAQ-US SOLDIERS
Baghdad security crackdown seriously curbs killings of US soldiers

BAGHDAD, March 14 (KUNA) – The rate of killings of US troops in Iraq has been on the decline, down by 60 percent, since the launch of the new security measures in Baghdad, according to statistics revealed by the Multi-National Force -Iraq Combined Press Information Centre.

Only 17 members of the US military in Iraq have been killed since February 14 till March 13, compared to 42 from January 13 to February 13; the rate was on the decline during the first month of the security crackdown, compared to a month before.

Two of the 17 soldiers died at US Baghdad camps of non-combat causes.

The remarkable decrease in killings among the US troops came at a time when more of these troops were deployed in the Iraqi capital, especially in districts previously regarded as extremely hazardous for them such as Al-Sadr City, Al-Azamiyah, and Al-Doura.

Meanwhile, US attacks on insurgent strongholds north of Baghdad curbed attacks against helicopters. Before the new security plan, many such craft were downed leaving 20 soldiers dead.

The US army in Iraq had earlier said that sectarian fighting and violence in Baghdad had dropped sharply, by about 80 percent, since the launch of the plan.

The statistics excluded US troops killed in other governorates such as Al-Anbar, Diyala, and Salahiddin.

As to the latest human losses, the US army announced Wednesday that two American soldiers had been killed, one in southern Baghdad and the other northeast of the capital.(end) ahh.[/url]

Even CNN is running it:
Violence down amid Baghdad crackdown, Iraq says
POSTED: 7:01 p.m. EDT, March 14, 2007

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) – Iraq’s military Wednesday reported significant reduction in violence a month after launching a coalition crackdown in the war-racked capital.

The numbers of deadly attacks, assassination attempts, bombings, mortar strikes and kidnappings have dropped since the mid-February launch of Operation Enforcing the Law, said Iraqi Brig. Gen. Qassim Atta.

The number of civilians killed in Baghdad in the past four weeks was 265, compared with 1,440 killings from mid-January to mid-February, said Atta, a spokesman for the operation. (Effects of crackdown)

Atta also reported that 94 terrorists were killed in the February-March period, compared with 19 in the January-February time frame.
cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/03/ … index.html

TC, this is good news. Is the surge decreasing civilian deaths too?

Sorry, TC, I see it has…distracted by son reading a book. :laughing:

Do you mean the ‘civilians’ with weapons or w/out weapons?

:wink:

Whilst I admit, early signs looks positive, and democrats are perhaps a little hasty in calling for an immediate pull out, republicans have also been known for being a little hasty. I still remember (what was it a year ago or longer?) of Bush on the aircraft carrier claiming victory.

A loooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago sport! :laughing:

A loooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago sport! :laughing:[/quote]

I lost track of time in this country…came in as a young graduate and now i’m an old man…and its been less than 4 years :frowning:

What’s going on is that the various parties in Iraq, knowing the U.S. plans to leave as soon as they can get away with it, are lying low. But trying to lure their enemies in conflicts with the U.S…

So when the U.S. leaves (well sort of, they’ll still keep bases), how long do you give the Green Zone before it collapses?

you mean there are people who take rush limbaugh seriously? c’mon now…

what a tosser, what a misogynist, just look at his dismissive comment towards the woman he labels a “code pink babe”. try and tell me that labeling someone ‘a babe’ is appropriately respectful from a national TV host. and people idolise this prat.

Yes, good news if sustainable, and if the insurgents have not simply absquatulated until the Americans leave. And if you don’t consider that is as likely the cause of the decrease as simply troop increases you aren’t worth talking to.

But I do find this rich coming from those who have never once issued a criticism of US policy in Iraq. No, no, we never needed a bigger post-invasion force. No, no, bush and rumsfeld are geniuses and who know exacty what they are doing.

But they never knew what they were doing and it was the Republican defeat in the senate and house that forced Bush to relook at his strategy in Iraq and finally add a few troops which every sensible observer has been crying for for years. So TC, you don’t get to gloat now because you weren’t there when your voice was needed to try to bring some sense to the Iraqi policy.

Without the democratic victory Bush would still be pushing the same old failed policy and you would still be supporting it.

Ohhh the irony…(look it up)… :rainbow:

[quote=“Muzha Man”]So TC, you don’t get to gloat now because you weren’t there when your voice was needed to try to bring some sense to the Iraqi policy.
Without the democratic victory Bush would still be pushing the same old failed policy and you would still be supporting it.[/quote]MM -
Get over yourself. Very strange how you post non-truths and expect people to believe them simply because you say them…weird.

As to the importance of my voice in your supposed scheme of things…again…What are you talking about.

Nice trick to try to shift the thread away from its actual topic onto a pretentious attack on the OP - myself. I suppose that is what passes for witty debate in your world.
Congrats…its a brave man who has nothing to say and is not afraid to say it… :bravo:

Where does that casualty number come from? I count more than 70 U.S. KIA in Iraq from 14Feb to 13March:

Source 1

February Source 2

March Source 2

[quote=“spook”]Where does that casualty number come from?[/quote]spook -
The source is clearly stated.
“…statistics revealed by the Multi-National Force -Iraq Combined Press Information Centre.
mnf-iraq.com/index.php?optio … e&Itemid=1

I have linked to this website numerous times in previous posts regarding the war in Iraq.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]Where does that casualty number come from?[/quote]spook -
“…statistics revealed by the Multi-National Force -Iraq Combined Press Information Centre.

I have linked to this website numerous times in previous posts regarding the war in Iraq.[/quote]

Your source, obviously, is wrong. Just read the listed names of the dead for yourself.

[quote=“spook”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]Where does that casualty number come from?[/quote]spook -

I have linked to this website numerous times in previous posts regarding the war in Iraq.[/quote]
Your source, obviously, is wrong. Just read the listed names of the dead for yourself.[/quote]spook -
Send your opinions to them and show them the error in their ways.

They will, no doubt, be eternally grateful to you.

Allahu Fubar!..y’all!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]Where does that casualty number come from?[/quote]spook -

Your source, obviously, is wrong. Just read the listed names of the dead for yourself.[/quote]spook -

[b]Allahu Fubar!..y’all![/i][/quote]

Your “source” is the Kuwaiti News Agency. I can understand being wrong about political issues but denying the dead in war for political reasons is just repugnant.

[quote=“spook”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]Where does that casualty number come from?[/quote]spook -

[b]Allahu Fubar!..y’all![/i][/quote]
Your “source” is the Kuwaiti News Agency. I can understand being wrong about political issues but denying the dead in war for political reasons is just repugnant.[/quote]Dearest spook -
No …that is not the source for the information…that is a news organization which [i]also[/i] used the “source”.

Again…and work with me here spook…here is a link, which I posted for you before, to the source…

Now go forth and prosper!

I hope the ‘surge’ works too because the death and destruction has got to stop. What also has to stop though is the blatant denial of reality because the two problems go hand-in-hand.

http://icasualties.org/oif/ has been a good source so far.

If you look on year on year results, I’m not sure things are so good. We “only” have 43 American dead so far this month (as of the site today) but had a total of 31 for all of March 2006. In the old days, a month with about 100 dead was a big deal, but we’ve been close to or over that for several months recently.

By the way, other than Rush (“I’ll make anything up”) Limbaugh, has there been any actual statement from Matt Drudge himself about the supposed threats? Just curious. I went to Drudge’s site and didn’t find anything there. I ran a bunch of searches but only found Rush’s account and re-hashings of it but nothing from Drudge himself. But frankly, Rush doesn’t have any real credibility with me – kind of guy who characterizes the Abu Ghraib situation as being just like frat hazing doesn’t seem to coexist in the same reality.

No statement from Drudge yet? Just curious. I’d hate to think Rush Limbaugh was full of hot air yet again.

Quick joke from years ago: What’s the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg? One’s a big fat nazi blimp … and the other’s a dirigible.