Death to QR Codes! (Non Culinary)

I missed that step as I just prepped it all at home, the staff at my local post office are obnoxious at best so I tend to do as much beforehand as possible.
(or I go to another post office where the staff are better)

1 Like

Yes you can. They claim it’s for this new electronic customs system that supposedly the US requires and other countries follow. But I insisted and told them I dont have a phone. I wrote the address and it arrived in Canada safely.

1 Like

It’s kinda funny though how the Taiwanese government keeps using “EZ” as an abbreviation for “fucking annoying”. Someone should tell them what it’s supposed to stand for.

7 Likes

What’s worse is they make you print the stuff out. You can’t just make an electronic declaration then write the tracking number or whatever on the package.

It means you have to track down a 711 to print it.

Why can’t they just enter it into their system?

1 Like

They can. And they will if you resist hard enough. My package made it. No electronic declaration. Just a case of overcompliance by burdening the customer.

1 Like

My incessant whinging has paid off!

Post office now has their own equipment to enter forms electronically. It does support phones, yes but you can manually enter such info using THEIR equipment.

9 Likes

Those pillars have a camera and you are automatically charged if you stop for more than 5 minutes in the spot. And another obstacle for pedestrians.

They charge like 20 NTD every hour. You have to install some app to pay digitally, no cash.

Currently they support LinePay, JkoPay and credit cards.

I encountered something similar in a hospital parking lot in Blighty. It took me something like 20 minutes to jump through all the digital hoops required to pay for parking, which was plagued by inexplicable ‘the transaction has failed’ messages and similar nonsense. Fortunately I actually had a smartphone with me - which I don’t normally - or I would have been literally unable to pay. The “helpline”, predictably enough, was unmanned.

More efficient than cash my arse.

6 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: From coronavirus

I loath it too. It started back with Trump for us services only. Because the US (apparently) told Taiwan to do it this way.

The real reason is liability. Post office isn’t now liable for errors in paperwork, the customer is.

Moving forward, it becomes more about also cutting costs/jobs.

Now a days, I insist if they want to do this, instead of the normal handwritten norms, I get their workers to do it for me. I can’t use computers, sorry. Smiles. You do it . If they say no, I say, then accept this address already written out clearly.

This works easily in less populated areas where most of the time the postal workers also complain about and hate the new system (because it’s total dog shit). Busy areas, they give attitude. Which is met by a smile and 2 choice option: accept the written form or walk outside your counter to the public area and type it in yourself (as opposed to before when they sat inside their air conditioned area and typed it in themselves on their computer on a comfy chair.

Makes no difference to me, other than they are causing me, and everyone else to wait longer. Same with restaraunts etc. If they want automation computer, get the human to assist so they cna still have a job in the future.

2 Likes