Death to QR Codes! (Non Culinary)

The post office has made QR Codes MANDATORY for sending stuff overseas.

DEATH TO QR CODES! AND it’s called EZPost!

4 Likes

That is dumb. No possible other form(s) to complete?

Guy

Not only that but you gotta print the stuff out yourself too.

Sucks if you don’t have a phone.

They said it’s security requirement from the us.

Used to be you filled out a slip but this is no longer possible for the five eye countries.

Is it possible to use DHL? Seems every 711 is a DHL location. Maybe a bit more expensive but worth it for convenience of not using poorly designed apps

Why do I need to spend half my day to go halfway across Taipei to an obscure location to spend $3000+ to send a literal toy and candy to a cousin in Canada?

I need to take a day off work for this?

It’s a four/five hour commitment on a weekday.

Post office hours suck, and 711 is everywhere. As I said:

Is DHL that much more than the post office?

711 is way more convenient than the post office

Anyways, my family can wait for my next visit for anything that I get them. Not worth the hassle

A virtual gift as an alternative?

Perhaps something accessible only via . . . a QR code!

Guy

I’ll give them the gift of not making them use QR codes
:nerd_face:

I guessed $3000.

Sure, but this isn’t related to the point that we now need to use QR codes to mail ANYTHING.

1 Like

What’s the post office price?

Um, not worth the hassle of QR codes has nothing to do with needing QR codes?

I could see the post office being irrelevant to a restaurant thread, though.

$600

Sure. But I didn’t think it would spread this quickly. Anyways, the mod here has informed me that an exception can be made cause it’s on topic.

Depending on how widespread it becomes, I’ll consider moving it later.

1 Like

DHL is much more expensive than post office, but on the upside it will arrive quickly.

I had a guitar sent by ems, not only I had to do the whole qr code crap I gotta find a 711 to print it (none is located near the post office for some reason), then bring it back and all that.

And the guitar took a month to get there, and they almost lost it.

DHL won’t do that to you, I think.

Ems is supposed to take a week, tops. It got there fast but it sat in a warehouse near the destination for a month.

Update. Post office made me sign a waiver that I would accept responsibility that it would be sent back because they were super scared that chips, candy and toys would be rejected by the CBSA because I didn’t fill it out online with their dumb QR Codes.

Packaged successfully delivered.

No, Chunghwa Post. We don’t stonewall our customers in Canada with the same thing and follow a rigid rules structure. I would expect nothing less with their paranoia.

You don’t need to fill out their stupid online form that Chunghwa post tries to make you do because of the typical paranoia of getting things extra sure. The computers and employees already input it into the system electronically anyways.

Man, the Mega Bank shit really made everyone paranoid.

2 Likes

For forumosans who are not aware of this history, Mega Bank got nailed a while ago (circa 2016) for facilitating money laundering and other kinds of violations. And as we know, most if not all organizations in Taiwan would prefer not to be in the spotlight like this . . .

Guy

2 Likes

And now since then, the Taiwanese want to overcomply by shifting the burden onto us with fake tax declarations and this crap.

4 Likes

I went through the same nonsense when I tried to ship something to the US via Chunghwa Post. Thought I would be in and out of the post office in 15 minutes or less. Took well over an hour, possibly closer to two. And I was the only person at the post office for most of that time! Never again…

1 Like

It’s because of US requirement.

If sending to third world countries you can simply grab the relevant labels and be in and out quickly.

Just spent an hour in the post office trying to send a package to the UK. Starting august you cant just write an address on a package and send it, you need to register for their EZPost system and then fill in all the forms online. Problem is that it doesn’t fucking work and nobody at the post office even knows how to use it. Didn’t manage to send my package.

This is so fucking Taiwan.

8 Likes

I used it a couple of times, but filled it in on my computer and printed the label off at home.

I then just took the package and label to the postoffice, they scanned it weighed the package told me the price and done.

I thought it was much easier than before, but saying that I haven’t used it in store or on my phone and if your suddenly faced with it I can see it being a bit of a shock.

My issue was that the printing machine wouldn’t recognize the QR code generated by their site.

2 Likes