Death to QR Codes! (Restaurants and Menus)

I actually think it’s in the middle, fancy restaurants will abhor qr codes and have menus, cheap places just give u the little piece of paper most likely, the “fancy” wannabe in the middle have this tendency of just using qr codes to cut on staff and menu production costs.

4 Likes

I guess I don’t see it because I don’t eat at expensive restaurants, and I also don’t like expensive taiwanese food (bad value), and most places I go to just have printed menu or menu on the wall.

What exactly does “the mark of the beast” look like? Is there a picture of it in the Bible?

2 Likes
1 Like

According to this 1972 movie, like this…

2 Likes

Yeah. It’s this.

2 Likes

It rarely is. Half the time it doesn’t work properly, and learning how to navigate someone’s bespoke phone-based menu is another level of thinking that you don’t want to be bothered with when you just want to stuff food in your mouth. And I definitely don’t want to be compelled to bring a smartphone with me (something I rarely do) just for this purpose.

I have absolutely no idea why restaurants are (still) doing this. It seems to be yet another mind virus. Personally, I avoid these places if at all possible.

Yes. This.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. Especially ironic when they then charge a service fee on top. I intentionally walk out of restaraunts that say they require this if I am alone. It is essential to tell them why, so they know…or not change should be expected. If in a group, I (try to) take charge of ordering the food and demand a human gets a job and doesnt require my sacrificing my data security in the process. Now i leave my phone on the table intentionally while I tell them no.

These systems are fucking bonkers. like anything, as an option of convenience, no issues. As a mandatory rule, fuck them!

What kinda irks me even more is the servers sometimes get a passive aggressive attitude for picking up a pen. Iwwish I could be less polite when telling them, but I very much do not want dick hairs and snot in my curry.

5 Likes

I guess the only thing about a human getting a job is that businesses don’t want to pay humans enough for them to want the job. At minimum wage, the people that are hired would much rather hide in the back and play with their phones than interact with customers. For me, there are a lot of places in Taiwan where I used to chat with the waitstaff and now they just hover near me to see if I’m placing my order or not and that’s just creepy. If I wanted to stare at my phone for dinner, I’d have ordered uber eats and stayed home.

1 Like

This is an absolute no no. I don’t even like the ones where it just opens the menu, there is defiantly some tracking going on behind the scenes so they know who orders what, then if you pay with a card thats even more data they have collected.

Now if they give me free fries for the data then I will concede :wink:

1 Like

Well, yes and no. Inflation is a real sin of a bitch. pay is directly related to cost. and costs now are sky rocketing at a faster pace than salaries. at the same time, many a low level employee isnt even worth the 160nt/hr they are paid. it’s a 2 way street. and the problem I see is both sides are hard nosed and completely ignoring reality these days. so a resolution seems unlikely outside automation. which is actually a fair bit worse once rolled out fully. but people can regret that later. I give it 2 to 3 decades. I have less hope in governments having welfare systems setup for such a lack of work, so its gonna suck.

better to suck it up now and get some land.

At the same time, if I wanted to stare at my phone, I would get an office job :joy: at least I’m making money being a drone, rather than spending it.

2 Likes

My solution to this is: bring an old person that asks for the menu and they will usually give it to them without a question. Though sometimes, they will ask any other younger person around to ‘help’ with the digital menu.
I agree, I hate this system, if I wanted to order through my phone I would just use Foodpanda.

1 Like

I’m here for the free internet and air conditioning.

4 Likes

2 meals, or less, you can have unlimited internet all month with the other phone stuff. Plus you dont need to be annoyed whilst eating low grade trash served on silver platters. Your math is off…

:innocent:

jokes based on reality

That’s a selling point for catching a train too

Too hard on the eyes…

Yeah, but you have to pay for the ticket…and then you have to go places. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

What is? The amazing value?

1 Like

If everything is automated your order can be sent directly to an order database (orders per table organized) and from there to the kitchen and payment system (cashier). Needing less employees. Robot ‘waiters’ can be used to serve you. Payment can be done through any payment system you have available.
This is just a simple explanation of a complex system that could work in the future.

2 Likes