Death to QR Codes! (Restaurants and Menus)

I hate QR code menus! If restaurants want me to use a phone to order, they can buy me the bloody phone and internet package!

I am naming and shaming Apple 203 as the first post in this topic. They are making QR Codes mandatory and took all the menus away.

13 Likes

I agree that this trend sucks donkey balls.

Usually politely asking for a menu can get this solved. Is Apple 203 inflexible about this?

Guy

5 Likes

Don’t eat there then. There’s a lot of restaurants where the menu is on the wall and you tell them what you want. I’ve not seen that many qr code only restaurants.

Also what if your phone is out of power? Will they let you charge there until you can use it to order? It just seems very limiting to customers.

Usually they are at the more upmarket restaurants

Company policy is to ban the menu entirely. While the employees gave me one because i frequent this place, they are basically enforcing it.

1 Like

How about expressing your views on this matter on google reviews?

It’s more likely to be seen there than on forumosa.com. lol

Guy

6 Likes

Oh I am aware of Google. But it’s better if several people are review bombing Apple 203.

And this can be used as a vehicle to learn about other bad players too.

1 Like

Apple is like a God, well idol worship

And venting

It’s 2023, it’s not always easy to do this. In my area, there aren’t many options to begin with.

Secondly, this is a trend with restaurants as they see it as cost cutting to place the cost onto the consumer indirectly, while also having the ability to uberise itself and change prices, implement surge pricing and other unethical practises that cost you more money. It doesn’t even matter what we think. If restaurants merely imagine that it will make them more money, they will do it at the detriment to themselves and you.

Us foreigners know this too well with things like phones and banks where they scream WAIGUOREN BU XING’AAAAAA. Where else you going to go? Another bank to get the same Karen Chen blast into your face the same crap?

When all the phone companies are engaging in anti-repair tactics, what does ‘going somewhere else’ actually do?

When most people are complicit in QR codes and just mindlessly go about their lives, what power do you have?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. The time to rage against the machine is not after it’s ubiquitous.

10 Likes

Way easier to increase prices on a digital menu. Physical ones must be reprinted for a change or it is obvious when they hand write new prices on top.

Does their digital menu has at least an English language option?

4 Likes

Bu hao isu, dian hua mei you. :joy:

Guy

2 Likes

Yep! I need to leave my phone at the office now and dig my feet further into the 1990s.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I didn’t try it and I won’t. I just steadfast said meibanfa.

2 Likes

I hate QR codes in general but I like the QR codes used to order at restaurants

I’m seeing more places do this. I don’t mind it. I think it is more efficient. Don’t have to wait for someone to come by to take your order and possibly get it wrong. Don’t have to worry about them forgetting to putting your order in.

1 Like

If I have to download something or add someone on Line, I’m outta there

19 Likes

I think we should have QR codes seared into our foreheads.

Like the mark of the beast? Qr codes kinda look like it

1 Like

Yeah I was eating at Din Tai Feng and they wanted us to use our phones to order. My friend (Taiwanese) was like “nope, you can come here and I will tell you what we’re ordering”. The server looked like she’d been slapped in the face.

I hate QR code menus because it means everyone is staring at their gd phones and looking like they’re ignoring each other when they sit down at the table together instead of pointing at and discussing things on physical menus.

14 Likes