Debating about buying property - Taiwan/US

Or the ones that found out that Ah-Gong’s shack from the time he ran away from China is now Xinyi Road section 5 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I do the same here as I would do in other countries. Buy in the suburbs because I can’t afford gentrified city centres.

That’s why I bought in Danshui. Taoyuan prices with an MRT. How could I go wrong?

2 Likes

Yeah but that was my point. If I want to buy equal to what I’m renting, it’d still cost me 10,000,000 in tamsui

Taichung is a great place, as they’re still building out, the prices will remain relatively stable. But once they stop building, they’ll go up. I’m not talking in the context of it being an investment, but it being more unaffordable in the future.

Keep playing the lottery. If you win, it’s good for the down payment at least?

Not necessarily. I regularly see those flats go for $6m. And remember, $6m is $200 000 US. I don’t know about the US and it’s a diverse place, but in the populated in-demand areas of Canada, the Greater Taipei of Canada, $200 000 is a difficult thing to even find even in the Yilans of Canada.

Haha oh the lottery, basically a tax in the poor

The only people who need the lottery are the people who can’t really afford it

1 Like

I’ll keep an eye out for lower priced units when I am able to save up some money.

In the USA, housing prices are pretty high but the salaries are also 3x or more (as long as I don’t teach).

I don’t mind low salary really. Not trying to get rich here. I just want the basics and have enough money to make retirement and cover emergencies. Live in a decent house and start my family

Hit me up anytime. I’ve been watching the markets. You’re among friends at Boston Pizza

So are the prices of everything else, including transportation.

1 Like

Haha thanks Marco though I don’t get the pizza reference :joy:

I am sure you know this already, but Debt to Income ratio is what matters. Sure your income might be higher in the US, but if you live in SF, it might not matter since houses there are astronomically priced.

The motto is stuck in my head. It’s the slogan for Boston Pizza.

Yeah, in many places it’s become unaffordable for middle class people.

I’m dead average in Taiwan and I still could afford it.

1 Like

In SF there’s only the upper class, the trying hard to keep up with the Joneses class, and the serfs. Middle class? That disappeared a long time ago.

1 Like

But I’ve never heard of that brand of pizza before

Canada chain. It’s an easter egg for Canadian forumosans.

1 Like

Well yeah I wasn’t really considering the biggest cities and certainly the most expensive city in America.

Maybe Colorado or Utah, Arizona or even Midwest

Is there a city named Boston in Canada I don’t know about? Haha

No, but you’re in Taipei talking about Taipei prices.

We can get cheap if you wanna talk Kaohsiung, Taoyuan and Taichung.

In Canada, you know a restaurant chain is Canadian if it’s named after a foreign city/locale.

1 Like

LOL, it’s kinda California Fried Chicken in Indonesia.

2 Likes