Debating about buying property - Taiwan/US

Yup ,prices are pretty absurd now. But there are cheaper places aroundd taiwan. and if retiring, things like schools arent likely as important.

I see lots of people retiring in Taitung for the cleanliness there but then also see a lot of people realize the health care issue there is pretty real. the hospitals suck, and many people are stuck going west or north for better care. Getting pretty expensive in the south now too though. places I look at used to be 300k~700k/fen now they start at 1 mill/fen (taidong) and more like 1.3mil (pingdong). takes some real searching to find cheaper and decent.

1 Like

With all the security concerns and outrageous prices, I really can’t understand the appeal in this thread of buying a house here. I just blows my mind.

Like other countries. Prices vary where you are. Taiwan is not homogenous.

My house was not ‘outrageous’.

Taiwan is a country. It is made up of administrative divisions and cities. Each city, county and district have their own markets.

Secondly, I can buy something and pay a mortgage on something I own, or I can continue paying rent to enrich others. I HAVE to live somewhere. I am not going to sleep under Taipei Main Station. So might as well put money into something I have to pay for anyways into my own thing instead of other people’s things.

I’m sure nobody is getting rich by my 30k monthly rent payment for a 35 million crappy apartment.

2 Likes

Like I said, Taiwan is a country, market conditions vary by location.

If you want to live in Xinyi, I’d say rent for sure.

But locations outside of Xinyi and Daan exist and it’s not always a cut and dry, black and white answer as to whether or not it’s a good idea.

I didn’t pay $35 million for mine.

Absolutely. My wife and I had been looking to buy a house here over the past 6 months or so. We are not going to do that now due to the recent developments. We decided to put that capital towards a rental property in the US instead.

4 Likes

I just recently bought a rental property in the US and used my earned income here in Taiwan to qualify for a mortgage. I’m assuming you’re still filing your income tax returns and the foreign earned income exclusion documents right? They’ll check your earned income and give you a maximum amount they’ll lend you just like if you were earning income in the US. You can also use projected rental income to help qualify for the mortgage.

Rental properties in the US provide MUCH better cash flow than real estate in Taiwan.

7 Likes

Yeah I do my taxes every year. This is good to know. We’re most banks willing to work with you as long as you have documented income from tax returns and can prove current income? Anything I would want to look out for during the process?

outside of stupidly expensive areas, yes. people make loads of money. especially those smart enough, or rich enough, to buy real estate before The Ma administrationsold Taiwan out. Now it’s hard. But you can still easily buy to rent out and pay your mortgage. like, super easily. Just need the down payment. With taiwans wealth and family ties, that is easier here than perhaps many other places. even if the prices are outrageously out of whack.

If you income and taxes are in Taiwan, should be possible.

1 Like

Have you ever talked with Taiwanese women with zero support from their families or even worst? I know a lot, just because they are women they get nothing.

1 Like

Yes, many. Married one. But that doesnt mean they wont help sign for a loan, usually it’s about inheritance and actual giving of assets and that line of stuff.

There are certainly “those” families as well.

500,000NTD a year is pretty damn good saving even in the US. I would think you can afford to put 30% downpayment on a property in Taiwan? You can certainly do this in the US. Obviously depends on location.

1 Like

It really depends. I know more than one that they already know from their parent that the inheritance and help go to the brother. They actually complain a lot about saving for the loan.

1 Like

I also know a few.

$500K won’t get much in the Front Range anymore unless you go down south to CO Springs or way out east. Still a better investment to buy in the states since you can easily cover your mortgage and even make a profit by renting it out.

3 Likes

Will they give you foreign investment interest rate for this loan? Or is this regular 15 or 30 year resident rate?

ya, it is unfortunately very common. I cant remember the exact figures, but the government has changed the laws a bit so that all the immediate family get a share. To counter that, the sexist families “force” their women to sign a contract handing over their inheritance to the males. I went through this family battle with my ex for about 3 years. 3 daughters, 1 brother whole already kicked the family out of their house and demanded everything due to his penis happening. It is quite disgraceful in this sense. The outcome was all 3 daughters signed if everything went to the brothers children, not the brother.

Family dysfunction is commonplace. but it would seem it is getting better by the day as the older generation dies off. At least I tell my self that and hope it’s true. My sympathies for anyone living in such a family that abuses women (or anyone), it is very real and very depressing.

more often though families, even if sexist, will help cosign for a loan etc. it raises ones chances having family with money.

1 Like

Not in Colorado springs anymore. It’s the fastest growing city in America and the prices have skyrocketed. You might be able to if you swing further south into pueblo

Not my experience at all. I would say it is the same.