Debating about buying property - Taiwan/US

It would take a while. 500,000 would include emergency funds as well and money for retirement and investment. I just don’t know if it’s such a good idea to invest so much into a single thing. Especially since I’d still have to pay the mortgage and there’s no guarantee of finding a renter

1 Like

that’s a good thing :slight_smile: Same as what?

You are looking for a rental property for investment instead of living in it yourself? If that’s the case, then the US is definitely better. However, houses in the states are crazy expensive right now and interest rate is on the rise. With that being said, it’s still way better than rental property here in Taiwan…by far.

Meaning no improvement. So not a good thing.

oh I see. I thought you meant it wasn’t your experience to see such negative aspects in family.

Understood. Hopefully your circles improve sooner than later :slight_smile:

an example of loans for females. my wife, company owner, cant get loans at Pingtung bank of Taiwan everytime we ho in they are passive aggressive, belittling and borderline harassing her. Interestingly I helped dot heir english training videos back in the day and taught some of their kids. the sexism was insulting. Skip up a county or 2, no problem and smiles.

Take home point: the bank you go to matters. sometimes certain branches just have permanent sticks up their asses.

Taiwan’s real estate market is weird. There are a lot of empty units. Declining population. Many new units coming to market. Yet prices are still high.

Highly unlikely you will see any capital gain and rental returns are nowhere near in the west.

But yeah paying out rent, that money really adds up over the years. If you wanna retire here then buy. The healthcare system alone makes it a smart move.

1 Like

Won’t be until after my wife’s family pass on. Her brothers act like they already own everything.

Yes, as long as you’re filing your income with the IRS, doing everything legally, and have the standard 2 years of income history they don’t really care where you’re earning it.

Are you planning to do all of this from Taiwan or in the states? The biggest thing will be finding an agent you trust. Then they can give you recommendations for banks who will work with you and property managers if you want to rent it out.

I bought in the midwest too, by the way. Lots of good deals to be had with good returns on rental income.

1 Like

If you’re a US citizen/green card holder you get the same terms as someone working and residing in the US. They don’t do different terms for resident vs nonresident citizens.

1 Like

But then you’d have to live in Pueblo. :wink:

2 Likes

There’s a huge development area in Zhongli, Taoyuan, right by the HSR station. 20, 30, 40 high rises. I don’t know. A bunch. Every day when you drive by you see them building more. My wife told me the other day she heard that most of those buildings are empty. People buy a unit in hopes of renting it out, and they can’t find anyone to accept the price. So there are entire buildings in that area that are completely empty. Yet the construction companies keep building. And now the owners of those units have taken to renting the parking spots because it’s the only money they can make.

1 Like

Owning a property in the culture is seen as virtuous. The property value is not tangible or material as much as it is virtuous. It the west we would look at the tangible and material value of an asset. Just different.

Agree but disagree. The people buying those units already have a place to live, otherwise they wouldn’t sit empty.

This is a issue with limited stock for sale not limited stock in the marketplace.

The empty apartment, houses, units are effecting nothing. It’s how many buyers and how many people buying. The prices is not effected by if this is someone’s first or tenth property. Only how many are buying and how many are selling.

1 Like

Yes it’s similar in danhai new town, so many new empties. Yet these companies keep building, someone somewhere must be taking a hit.

Problem with buying a new apartment is they usually decline in value as they get older. Buy an old one in a gongyu it’s already done most of its depreciation.

Those people buying to rent near the hsr as you described, man, sounds like slow motion financial suicide.

1 Like

When looking at units from an economic standpoint, they’re not ‘empty’ if they’re not on the market for sale. A computer sold is a computer not on the market, no matter if it is used or not.

They’re high in Greater Taipei because people are moving to Greater Taipei and want to live in Greater Taipei. They’re quite cheap in Yilan. There are areas of high and low demand and the prices will reflect where people actually want to live.

Danhai New Town and places like it are suburbs for people who want to live in Taipei but can’t afford Taipei prices or want something cheaper. They fill a market need since Taipei is very expensive in of itself.

Danhai new town is not cheap tho. Can get a gongyu in yongan market for that kinda money.

This. Is not the question either to buy or not. But how to buy to survive potencial market crash and come positively on curve after 30 years. There are millions homes in Taiwan. You need to find one which suits your risk tolerance and financial, emotional need.

When you are able to get fixed interest rates you are protected. In time of conflict, twd will lose value, and you need less usd to pay back mortgage in twd. If China takes over successfully maybe only foreigners with owned apartments will be allowed to live in Taiwan. While others foreigners will be banned to buy apartments, cause it will be all reserved for rich Chinese.

That’s a very interesting point. In this situation real estate prices could go thru the roof. Assuming the island isn’t reduced to rubble Ukraine style.

2 Likes

Maybe a good time to take a look at how the Chinese deal with Foreigners owning / living properties in China.

2 Likes