Debit cards from the Post Office

[quote=“djlowballer”][quote=“smithsgj”]
Yuli, you always need a PIN when you buy anything in Europe. You key the PIN in on a machine that they have at the checkout.[/quote]

Not true if it is a Visa card. In Germany if you use the debit card (EC Karte) you have to enter in your pin. If you use something that says Visa you get to sign. Some stores(Mediamarkt, certain Saturns) let you sign on debit card purchases.
Most places only will accept cash or EC karte though.[/quote]

fodors.com/community/europe/ … -cards.cfm

France, Spain, UK are all chip and pin now, but it seems there is an option to sign in most cases. Sounds like credit cards never really caught on in Germany anyway.

Yeah in Germany the cards come default with magnetic strip and then you can get the GeldChip attached for a fee.

The strip and pin/sign is used for accessing the account itself, the chip is used as a stored value card to pay for cigarette machines, public transport, and a few other things. Visa has the chip but I have never tried loading the chip. With my 2 DB cards I have had zero problems paying throughout my travels and have both signed and gave pin depending on which I used.

Off topic folks…

It doesn’t make much sense does it, a debit card is credited with your OWN money, so why restrict it’s use when it cannot be used to overdraw?

Just got the following message from them:

親愛的客戶您好:

一、 本公司VISA金融卡限年滿18歲之本國自然人儲戶才可申辦,目前尚未開放外籍人士辦理,造成您的不便,謹致歉忱。

二、 有關您對VISA金融卡相關建議,本公司將錄案研議,謝謝您的來函。

Helpful…

[quote=“diegothedreadful”]Just got the following message from them:

親愛的客戶您好:

一、 本公司VISA金融卡限年滿18歲之本國自然人儲戶才可申辦,目前尚未開放外籍人士辦理,造成您的不便,謹致歉忱。

二、 有關您對VISA金融卡相關建議,本公司將錄案研議,謝謝您的來函。

Helpful…[/quote]

I got the same message! It doesn’t answer the question: WHY aren’t foreigners allowed a debit card?

Exactly. But i never assumed that the mail address would reach “PO higher-ups”. I would send a letter (not a mail message) to the address of the head office in Taipei, addressed to 中華郵政公司總經理胡雪雲 and include for reference some copies of the news reported on September 30 and October 1 (see links below). I would specifically ask 1) why this new debit card is being denied to resident foreign customers of 中華郵政公司 if customers of 台新銀行 can have it, and 2) when the card will become available to resident foreign customers of 中華郵政公司. :slight_smile:

News references (for example):
times.hinet.net/times/article.do … on=finance (Chinese)
taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003454895 (English)

Maybe the matter will be have been resolved by the time i go to Taiwan, but should the post office really turn out to remain stuck where they are right now, i would, of course, change my plan at that time and, instead of opening an account with the post office, open one with Taishin Bank (according to their website they have branches in Hualien and Luodong - perfect). :wink:

Why does Taiwan make things difficult for foreigners? BAck in 1999 I had an account with the Post Office and a ATM card. And I had an NT dollar account with a local bank and also an US dollar account with the same bank. And I only had a Tourist Visa. No ARC. NO hassles. Why all the BS since then?

Oh and I also got an American Express card for years too, with no trouble. Didnt even have an ARC. Had a Drivers License too.

Since then TW has done all it can to make the life of the foreign resident a pain in the butt.

p.s. just to add that prior to 99 a furriner could work just bout any job too as long as the employer was willing to hire you. And you could easily get your sixty day tourist visa extended twice. All one had to do was go to HK or some such 2 times a year (every six months) . Easy peasy.

Now its all like it was the USA or something? NO , its worse with all those draconian laws.

p.p.s. It seems some TW lawmakers went over to the USA and the EU and came back with all these “nifty” laws that show that you are a “first world” nation but only enforce the easy ones. Just target the furriner. its like shooting goldfish in a fishbowl.

Exactly. But i never assumed that the mail address would reach “PO higher-ups”. I would send a letter (not a mail message) to the address of the head office in Taipei, addressed to 中華郵政公司總經理胡雪雲 and include for reference some copies of the news reported on September 30 and October 1 (see links below). I would specifically ask 1) why this new debit card is being denied to resident foreign customers of 中華郵政公司 if customers of 台新銀行 can have it, and 2) when the card will become available to resident foreign customers of 中華郵政公司. :slight_smile:

News references (for example):
times.hinet.net/times/article.do … on=finance (Chinese)
taipeitimes.com/News/biz/arc … 2003454895 (English)

Maybe the matter will be have been resolved by the time i go to Taiwan, but should the post office really turn out to remain stuck where they are right now, I would, of course, change my plan at that time and, instead of opening an account with the post office, open one with Taishin Bank (according to their website they have branches in Hualian and Luodong - perfect). :wink:[/quote]

Good idea,I will write a letter to Director General Hu.

Don’t forget to mention to her how this issue is being widely discussed among foreign residents (for example, in Forumosa).
:wink: :wink:

Maybe it’s time to get a protest going and threaten to all close bank accounts from Chunghwa Post. Those meaningless protests from locals seem to attract media attention very well on every news channel and may just give people an answer.

Well… when you think about it, the letter i suggested people write would have exactly the effect you are thinking of - but without anybody using words of protest or threats. :wink:

In case you are wondering about me: i am not writing a letter myself at this time because i am not a customer of Chungwa Post (i am not yet in Taiwan). I would write the letter if i was a customer, though (i tend to do things the way i described: i go right to the “top” and communicate clearly and politely my concerns and suggestions)

Have fun… :slight_smile:

I got mine last week. The clerk did require me to key in both a Postal ATM PIN and a VISA PIN.

By the way, the discount is not on just select retailers, it applies to all purchases made using the card’s VISA function. The first purchase gets a 1% cashback and all subsequent purchases until mid-2010 (iirc, July) are 0.5% cashback.

I got mine last week. The clerk did require me to key in both a Postal ATM PIN and a VISA PIN.

By the way, the discount is not on just select retailers, it applies to all purchases made using the card’s VISA function. The first purchase gets a 1% cashback and all subsequent purchases until mid-2010 (iirc, July) are 0.5% cashback.[/quote]

Wow…how did you do that?

It’s quite easy really: I was born in Taiwan. :smiley:

It’s quite easy really: I was born in Taiwan. :smiley:[/quote]

:fume:

By the way, to clear up the confusion regarding VISA Debit function:

[quote]How do I pay with a Visa Debit card?

Visa Debit card transactions can be completed in a number of ways: sign your receipt; place an order online or by phone or mail; enter a personal identification number (PIN); or simply swipe your card at select merchants that do not require your signature.

Why should I sign instead of putting in my PIN for my Visa Debit card transactions?

When you sign for your purchases, you get security protections that help prevent, detect and resolve fraud. Many rewards programs also require you to sign to collect rewards points.

How can I sign for my Visa Debit card when there is a PIN pad or terminal?

On many terminals, pressing CREDIT allows you to sign for your transaction. However, other terminals require you to swipe your card without being able to select CREDIT/DEBIT, then prompt you for your PIN. In such cases, either press CANCEL to be able to sign or tell the cashier you want to sign for your transaction.

Visa Debit card is a debit product, so why should I press CREDIT at the terminal instead of DEBIT?

When you press CREDIT and sign for a purchase, your transaction is routed through the Visa network. This gives you all the security protections of a Visa transaction. But your Visa Debit card still works like a debit card, not a credit card: The purchase amount is deducted from your checking account and you don’t pay interest. See the complete list of security protections.

Do I have to pay a fee or interest when I use my Visa Debit card and press CREDIT?

No, when you press CREDIT for a Visa Debit card transaction, you do not pay a fee or interest. Your Visa Debit card still works like a debit card, not a credit card. The purchase amount is deducted from your checking account. When you press CREDIT and sign for a purchase, your transaction is routed through the Visa network. This gives you all the security protections of a Visa transaction. [/quote]

It’s quite easy really: I was born in Taiwan. :smiley:[/quote]

And you have a Taiwanese passport right now?

Like most other administrative tasks in Taiwan, the national ID card is used in lieu of the passport. The form for applying for a VISA ATM card is pretty much identical to the standard Postal ATM card. Need your passbook, personal chop and a national ID card.

Yuli meant, do you have ROC nationality. And since you have a shenfenzheng, you do. It’s not specifically because you were born in Taiwan: plenty of non-Taiwanese were born here, and plenty of people with a shenfenzheng were NOT born here!