Decent Rum

What are some of the rums available in Taiwan and what’s the price? I’m not talking about Bacardi or Captain Morgan, but something a little better.

Here are some that I’ve enjoyed:

Ron Zacapa 23 $1,200NT - excellent for sipping
Ron Brugal Extra Viejo $520NT - decent, but lacking in aftertaste
Ron Matusalem Platino $630NT - great for mojitos

I’ve also seen:

Pyrat XO Reserve $1,700NT
Angostura 1919 $1,150NT
Havana Club Anejo Especial $500NT ($450NT???) - okay, but nothing great

What else is available that I can get my hands on?

[quote=“SlowRain”]What are some of the rums available in Taiwan and what’s the price? I’m not talking about Bacardi or Captain Morgan, but something a little better.

Here are some that I’ve enjoyed:

Ron Zacapa 23 $1,200NT - excellent for sipping
Ron Brugal Extra Viejo $520NT - decent, but lacking in aftertaste
Ron Matusalem Platino $630NT - great for mojitos

I’ve also seen:

Pyrat XO Reserve $1,700NT
Angostura 1919 $1,150NT
Havana Club Anejo Especial $500NT ($450NT???) - okay, but nothing great

What else is available that I can get my hands on?[/quote]

Mayan XinYi has about half a bottle of Zacapa XO left. But you’d be paying restaurant prices for it. Maybe drop by sometime and ask Erik where he got it.

Ah, yes. I’ve seen the Zacapa XO here for ~$2,400NT, but that’s a bit much for me.

JM Rhum & St James at Carrefour

Neisson too

Recommend this stuff…it’s fantastic…especially for sailing trips. Might have to special order it though.

Wellcome cooking rum and damn proud of it.

Had some rough agricloa run from Ie Island (okinawa, japan) recently. A fabulous full-flavour rum, and cheap. Probably not exported but if you come to Okinawa it’s not too hard to find.

Easy to get at the ferry terminal in Iejima, of course. Both clear and gold versions, the gold is a bit sweeter and heavier.

1 Like

I haven’t tried agricole rum yet, but perhaps next spring when the weather starts to get hot. I’m particularly looking for sipping rums, but always in the lookout for a good mixer, too.

I bought a bottle of Havana Club Añejo Reserva for $900NT at a small liquor store. It’s not great for sipping–unlike their Añejo 7 Años, which is quite good–but it should do for mixing.

I found Havana Club Añejo 7 Años at Guo Tai for $1,050NT. They also had Sailor Jerry’s Spiced Rum for ~$600NT, but I didn’t pick any up because I’m not familiar enough with it to know if I’ll like it. Maybe next time.

What do y’all recommend cooking with (if aiming for something better than Wellcome-sourced swill, of course – something for the gourmet cook, but not too pricey to “just” cook with)?

Meyers if you need a dark rum. Fine for cooking.

I use it for my black cakes

Cheers!

I found a couple of websites recently that may help in the search for decent rum here.

I can’t vouch for the others, but I did buy from the first one (9 City). It was a little inconvenient. He doesn’t do pay-on-arrival, so we had to wire money to him first. He also seemed to wait one day longer than normal to ship it. However, he was very nice and everything arrived safe and sound.

9city.com.tw/category.php?type=1 … &arem1=610

whisky.com.tw/products/index … =196&top=0

jv.com.tw/modules/cart/categ … %85%92_Rum

my9.com.tw/product/category.php? … me&asc=asc

thegallery.com.tw/p-rum-all.php

Excellent listing there SlowRain.

I’d also add Sundy, though their website seems offline. . . I assume they’re still in business. Price list below:

docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … full#gid=0
(need to scroll down there to find the rum - contact details at top)

Plus there is Pan Rum, who mostly import English Harbour but also do others. Focus seems more on higher end stuff.

panrum.net/index.html

The 9 City link above seems broken. It should be:

9city.com.tw/category.php?type=1 … 0&arem=100

Ventured into rum a few months ago with a Mount Gay (local bought).
Nice but never quite decided on how to drink it though. Milk punch went down well.

Which Mount Gay?

Can’t recall - but I’ve got that wrong anyway, the Mt Gay was drunk over Xmas in the Uk.
It was after that, back here, I picked up something different: a Ron Zacapa (Guatemala). Sistema Solera?