Deciphering Calligraphy

My brother in law has this ink painting with Chinese calligraphy he wants to hang in his office. He would like to know what the Chinese means to avoid potential embarrassment, the type you get with a Chinese tattoo that translates as “I am a moron.” I could translate the Chinese, but I can’t recognize most of the characters, which has to do with me being not that good at reading calligraphy and this particular one looking to me rather like “scribblings of a crow.”

I think on the right side we have these characters
竹解 _ 為擊友 _ 節碧 _ 伴清風 [something about friendship]

On the left side, I gave up even trying. There is a 太 down there, maybe a 左 and a 風…

Let’s see who is good at this, anyone?

竹解吾心為摯友 勁節碧漾伴清風

唔在庚寅秀仲秋晚風 寫於太閣筆記之。
correction:
(唔)在庚寅 (年) 仲秋晚風 寫於太湖前 記之
I’m not sure about the words in the brackets, other ones I’m pretty sure.

3 Likes

yeah, finally someone who can read caoshu

:clap:

OK, now that we have the characters, let’s see what it could mean.

竹解吾心為摯友

This seems to be a play on 水能性淡為吾友,竹解心虛即我師?

“Water can make someone’s character pure, so it is my friend,
Bamboo knows how to be humble, so it is my teacher” (something like that?)

So, 竹解吾心為摯友 = “Bamboo knows my heart, so it is my best friend”?

勁節碧漾伴清風 = “Strong bamboo standing by blue waters with a fresh wind blowing”?

Glad you deciphered this
唔在庚寅秀仲秋晚風 寫於太閣筆記之。

So 唔在庚寅秀仲秋晚風 seems to mean:

On a windy night during the Mid-Autumn Festival in (not sure which year 庚寅 is referring to) 2010, 1950, 1890…

寫於太閣筆記之
“Written in the Taiko notes”?

Taiko meaning retired ruler in Japan?

Retired ruler, night of mid-autumn, wind… sounds like someone is approaching the evening of his career/life and reminisce about friendship?

Hope you like this poem, I’m sure someone can do a better translation.

Bamboo sees into my soul, a friend genuine. (竹解吾心為摯友 )
Firmly planted in the breeze, what lush green. (勁節碧漾伴清風 )

Connotations below:
勁節 : integrity
清風:honour, transparent, incorruptibility

Fun interpretation: This picture/poem is better hung in the office of a self-aggrandizing Chinese official, to imply that he him is one of the few uncorrupted loners in the entire administration (but the irony is he IS corrupted. This is because the author of the poem/the painter uses 清風breeze to imply himself)

2 Likes

So 碧 is not attached to 漾, as in blue water?

1 Like

Yeah, I like your interpretation. Makes a whole lot of sense.

Maybe it fits in well in my friend’s office, cause he’s a pretty high-up judge.

1 Like

Should be 寫於太湖前 記之 (Written in front of Taihu. A note for self.). 太湖 is in China.

1 Like

Yes you’re right, if we know the context involves the lake. However it is possible to describe the bamboo as waves of lush green. By doing so, the author compels the audience to focus on only two elements, which are just the bamboo, and the wind(himself), without introducing a third element that is arguable unnecessary.

2 Likes

Customary in classical oriental culture that a painting comes with a poem. In this case the author is more of a poet than a painter. He is a humble poet though, deliberately making his writings small compared to the Bamboo (which is the subject of his poem, perhaps his role model).

1 Like

Does the mentioning of mid autumn has any significant meaning in your view?

Probably just stating time and place, the last line. Feels like taking up way too much space.

1 Like

Yes I agree. That the poet made a note of 仲秋、晚風. (Mid autumn, evening breeze.) Seems to suggest late-career.

2 Likes