Decline and fall of cities

Of course, I was being dumb. Ximending is also pedestrianised after a certain hour and in weekends.

Don’t be so sceptical. Have you seen the (admitedly small) recently pedestrianised part of the GOng Guan night market? Noone ever rides their scooters through there. Putting up a chain would be enough deterrent to stop people. Who wants to get off and unhook it? As for the rights of those living and working inside - just give each workplace and home a couple of stickers to put on their vehicles. Then they’ve got exclusive access which hould keep them happy.

Brian

So help me Hannah if one more scooter beeps at me to get out of the way on a sidewalk, I will not be held responsible for my actions.

How about putting up a chain at say “neck height when sitting on a scooter” along various sidewalks and to be pedestrianized areas?

Just a thought.

[quote=“fred smith”]So help me Hannah if one more scooter beeps at me to get out of the way on a sidewalk, I will not be held responsible for my actions.

How about putting up a chain at say “neck height when sitting on a scooter” along various sidewalks and to be pedestrianized areas?

Just a thought.[/quote]

The trick is to take your time. Dawdle! Window shop! This just irritates the scooter scum even more!

:smiling_imp:

Right. And because of that it would be relatively easy to close it off to traffic and make it truly pedestrianized, say from Xinyi to the south end of the little park.

Well getting rid of scooters, cars, bulldozers, trashtrucks, cement trucks, buses, semis, army tanks, etc. may be the first step but the second that must follow is good pedestrian behavior.

I am happy to see that the mass-transit system is finally bring some semblance of order to the sway to the left, sway to the right, walk into oncoming traffic approach to walking on sidewalks. Will it take a major public awareness campaign by the mayor to teach people how to walk?

Have to say that Bali does it right when it comes to aesthetics. The restaurants and hotels are beautiful, low key (no massive towers), the streets are clean, the traffic is orderly. People tend to wait for people when they feel that it is that person’s “turn.” Quel idee!

The housing and restaurants also make good use of outdoor elements and go a long way to take advantage of natural lighting which surely must be good for the environment. Gets a two thumbs up from me.

Had not been there for a while and I think the island is making an effort to move up the scale. Fewer beach shacks for the backpackers and more spas for the Taiwanese who are the number one visitors there now. Also, the Taiwanese strangely enough are very polite while in Bali. I could hear them speaking Taiwanese so I know they were. Either the class of people that go there are a higher caliber or they are quick to fit in and follow the rules when it is the norm. Go Figure.