Deconstructing chinglish "rude and unreasonable chicken"

FB_IMG_1581526303388
This is an entertaining meme circulating on English Teaching Facebook Groups.
The real definition of 川水泼辣鸡 (Chuān shuǐ pōlà jī) is Sichuan Spicy Chicken.
The “rude and unreasonable” comes from the word “潑辣(pōla).” According to Pleco, this word has many definitions, the first being “rude and unreasonable”, and the second being “pungent,” a synonym for spicy.
My question is about “Sichuan, 四川 (Sìchuān).
According to Pleco, 川 is the abbreviation for Sichuan Province. But where does the “水(shuǐ)” or water fit in?
There is no term “川水” as far as I can tell.

It looks to me like 水潑 refers to the method of preparation, so it would be 四川 水潑 辣雞.

I think 潑辣 雞 is where the rude chicken part comes from.

四川長江潑辣雞?

川水泼辣鸡(川水潑辣雞) as it appears on the menu is an accepted name for this dish according to Google Translate.Though I don’t think it is the most popular name for it.

I can’t find any reference to this cooking method “水泼”
Could you link me to a reference if possible. Pleco is usually good at obscure terms and methods.
When I searched the original term on Google for this dish, I didn’t get any recipes but got links to entertaining stories about this meme.

This dish describes my mother in law perfectly.

2 Likes

水潑蛋 is the name of a common dish…

Kind of like poached eggs? Nothing is simple with Chinese.

Yeah, pretty much. But sometimes they leave it in the water and it turns out like a cross between a poached egg and egg drop soup.

Though in Taiwan, a pouched egg is usually written as 水波蛋

她很辣嗎? got pics?

Dr. Miller’s translation is right on! His partitioning of the name is the one that makes sense in describing the dish. However, …
The name is a pun. The cooking method is 水潑 but the pun is 潑辣.

3 Likes

Sorry Dr. Milker. I see you are well prepared for this scenario.

1 Like

No need to apologize. Here, have a bottle on me.