Deet based insect repellants

Hey all,

Just wondering, is it easy to find those Deet based repellants in Taipei, like those by eg. ‘Care Plus’ ? Or should I just bring a dozen bottles from home?

Thanks

Tomita

Off! is sold all over the place. I have seen it in Geant, Carrefour, and RT mart, however most pharmacies should stock it or similar products.

They will write DEET in the product declaration if the product contains it.

If you bring some Avon Skin So Soft with mosquito repellent you got a customer here…

They also sell several organic stuff against mosquitoes, electronic devices to supposedly scare them off, and others. Actually, a big point in advertising them is that they are “Deet - free”. Dunno why.

Deet might cause skin cancer.

Did anyone else read that as “debt based insect repellants” at first?

No. I camp and hike a lot, so I know the value of a good repellent.

Deet is great, but I use it with care as it might cause cancer.

[quote=“Mr He”]No. I camp and hike a lot, so I know the value of a good repellent.

Deet is great, but I use it with care as it might cause cancer.[/quote]Mr. He, even at the risk of hijacking this thread, do you have any suggestions in terms of locally available repellents?

The cats have Advantix, the dog has Frontline -OK those are for fleas- but my legs look like the Korean War. I even get bitten at work -yes, mosquitoes, I’ve caught several in the act. If we could have something like that for humans…

Haven’t found anything all that good here so far and I’ve tried a lot. I did find some good after care cream though that stops the damn itching. At least I don’t get huge bumps any more, it was really bad when I just moved here…

Another reason: Deet melts plastic. It’s not friendly to plastic parts on watches and eyeglasses, and can strip ink off of items including its own packaging, then the resulting gunk can permanently stain other items like clothing.

Another reason: Deet melts plastic. It’s not friendly to plastic parts on watches and eyeglasses, and can strip ink off of items including its own packaging, then the resulting gunk can permanently stain other items like clothing.[/quote] :astonished:

The 100% stuff is the worst when it comes to damaging stuff (including expensive stuff like eyeglass lenses, cameras, etc.). It’s not quite as bad in lower concentrations in lotions.

Thanks for the info, people. I’ll make sure I have enough to bring with me, then…

Kind regards

I would still say off! as bought in the nearest supermarket.

Campher oil is useless.

I found that out the hard way. Totally melted my tackle box once. It’s crazy that the stuff will melt plastic and we put it on our skin. Unfortunately, nothing works better to fend off the blood-sucking parasites.

T.