DEHP: Taiwan's Version of the Chinese Milk Scandal?

Whoa, you’re starting to sound like a conservative. :wink:[/quote]

Not at all. Vlad impaled people quite liberally.

This page appears to contain links to two Excel lists, one dated June 4 and the other dated June 2 (except that when you click the link for the June 2 document you find out it’s really dated May 31–I don’t know, maybe that’s when the data were collected):
fda.gov.tw/itemize_list.aspx … nt_sn=2482

I didn’t look at either to see what language they were in (I don’t have Excel on this computer).[/quote]

Thanks!

[color=#FF0000]Are they fu****g mad or what?[/color] 150 million isn’t still enough.[/quote]
Yes, they are. And I agree, 150 million isn’t nearly enough, either. He should also get 25 to life for gross negligence and willful endangerment of children and public health. Bastard should be kicked to death in the streets by scooter punks! :fume:

Is it just me, or is anyone else seriously considering leaving this Island due to this? I want to see that guy being executed. I’ll do it myself.

I’ll hold him for you. :thumbsup:

I’m lucky I guess in the way that I haven’t too much of the crap in my body as I always kind of mistrusted the ingredients in Taiwanese ready made junk foods … only ate or drank them on occasion, everything in Taiwan tastes weird, even ‘western’ style stuff …

… and, the jams/pie fillings I used in my pies were imported from Belgium/Europe/US … or were fresh …

I always thought the syrups used for tea and coffees, crushed ice drinks made by Taiwanese companies to have loads of coloring and flavoring agents in it … and tasted different than the same things imported, even though they have similar ingredients, including artificial coloring/flavoring.

Just taste most of the strawberry jam Taiwan made, pure artificial … not even a whole berry in a jar …

I have previously stated that I am suspicious of the local breads in bakeries. I am an avid baker. I know what natural bread free of artificial ingredients should taste like. I know the crust and crumb qualities. I can forgive a bit of vitamin C or lecithin, even though I don’t use them. But I suspect there’s a lot of other, more dubious stuff being added.

Well, guess what? It’s confirmed.

Even the toxic DEHP is now known to be in breads in local bakeries too, in the bread dough, in the jams rolled up in the dough, and in adulterated fragrance powder to make the artificial breads smell fragrant. And it’s in souffles, custards, custard fillings in breads, and ice cream. Here are some quick translations from the news by Dragonbabe for your reference:

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 2srnn.html

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 2ssc0.html

tw.news.yahoo.com/article/url/d/ … 2ss6b.html

This page appears to contain links to two Excel lists, one dated June 4 and the other dated June 2 (except that when you click the link for the June 2 document you find out it’s really dated May 31–I don’t know, maybe that’s when the data were collected):
fda.gov.tw/itemize_list.aspx … nt_sn=2482

I didn’t look at either to see what language they were in (I don’t have Excel on this computer).[/quote]

Thanks![/quote]

You’re welcome!

[quote=“AmoyMama”]Looks like Dragonbones has the right idea about making his bread after all:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … keries.htm

They need to release the names of the affected bakery shops immediately–it really seems wrong not to, as it prevents consumers from making informed decisions.

And by the way, Dragonbones, I agree with your assessment about the juice. It is just ridiculous the stuff that gets labeled “juice” here. I am always having to explain the difference between real juice and fake juice to my kids. (“But Mommy, it’s juice! It’s good for you, right?”) Yeah, you can’t just stick a photo of cranberries on a bottle of sugar, preservatives, chemicals, and fake flavorings (and cancer-causing agents, apparently) and magically make it “juice.”[/quote]

This is funny, well actually not really. This morning we had some “bread” from one of the bakery shops which was so soft, I was jokingly saying to my wife, ‘I wonder if they have put any plasticizer in it.’ A quick look in the newspaper an hour later and I knew I may wasn’t so wrong after all.

I wonder if there is anything at one can eat without any concerns. Anyway a good time to loose some weight :smiley:

Thanks for that, and thanks to Dragonbabe!

A big Thank You to all who have posted relevant information about this poison scandal.

This has been, and continues to, drive my wife friggin nutso. We try to be very conscious of the quality of the foods we ingest. I think she is known by voice to all the major food manufacturers and suppliers by her calling their toll-free #s asking questions.

And its made my simple life hell. I fully support the PRC solution to food poisoners such as this.

Dark courtyard at 0400…a kick in the back of the knees…bullet behind the ears…call the family to pick-up the body and charge them for the bullet.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I fully support the PRC solution to food poisoners such as this.

Dark courtyard at 0400…a kick in the back of the knees…bullet behind the ears…call the family to pick-up the body and charge them for the bullet.[/quote]
Amen, brother! :bravo: :thumbsup:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]I fully support the PRC solution to food poisoners such as this.

Dark courtyard at 0400…a kick in the back of the knees…bullet behind the ears…call the family to pick-up the body and charge them for the bullet.[/quote]

Clearly justified here.

It makes me puke when I smell the mellow odor when they are baking the stuff …

gonna have to stop reading this thread soon, making me more depressed every day.

I have absolutely no idea now what is in what, and no confidence in anything much out there. You ask anyone (stall-owner, restuarant laoban) about their food or products and they all smile and say, oh yes, no problem. Of course they do. Either they’re lying or they haven’t got a frigging clue (like most of us).

Thing is you move on to buy solely organic or overseas produce and your CoL (cost of living) goes up to be higher than if you were back in Europe.

They are lying into your face because they haven’t a clue …

ok, I gonna have to take a step back now and look at the situation - please follow me.

Food is laced with plastic. so fridging what! All other important aspects of life are up and running well in Taiwan!
Schools&education is top notch world class and makes our children be open minded. All those discussions and open talk fosters their inquiring minds.
Roads are safe up to the point that street sign are not needed.
The invironment is one of the cleanest world wide. We have the safest atomic power plants on the globe, just to mention one little interesting factoid.

And on top of this all, I just ran across a guy at the corner who laughed me right in the face and shouted “Helllowwww mei guo rennnn haha”. Paradise! Just bliss, I haven’t had a bad moment since I set foot on the rock.

But you guys would never guess what I love the most - englitch lessons every day 24/7/11 from lots of different teachers for free - just show your face outside and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

I will get myself a plum juice full of plastic and think it’s oral esthetic surgery for 30 NTD - you can’t beat that!

No, platicizers

[quote]Plasticizers (UK = plasticisers) or dispersants are additives that increase the plasticity or fluidity of the material to which they are added; these include plastics, cement, concrete, wallboard, and clay. Although the same compounds are often used for both plastics and concretes the desired effects and results are different. The worldwide market for plasticizers in 2004 had a total volume of around 5.5 million tons, which led to a turnover of just over 6 billion pounds.

Plasticizers for concrete increase the workability of the wet mix, or reduce the water required to achieve the desired workability, and are usually not intended to affect the properties of the final product after it hardens.

Plasticizers for wallboard increase fluidity of the mix, allowing lower use of water and thus reducing energy to dry the board.

Plasticizers for plastics soften the final product increasing its flexibility.[/quote]

I wouldn’t mind if it were plastic, my dogs eat that often and are still living and kicking, or is it barking …

BP, we need your bread more then ever!

I’m seriously thinking about staying far away from the devil’s island … :smiley: