Dehumidifiers and air purifiers

joesax,

There are two kinds of filters, one is a dust filter on the back, and the other is an ozone plate that is inside the machine. Inside the machine there are two negiative ion production parts, one for small particles and one large particles. The ozone plate gets rather disgusting depending on what I use the machine for, if I cook alot it get’s dirty pretty quick, but otherwise I don’t have to clean it so often. The dust filter I need to clean every month. I don’t feel the walls are dirtier either.

The air purifier that I have costs about NT$30,000. And it’s the first purifer I have bought that I have actually felt any difference from.

The air in our apartment no longer stuffy and there are no detectable bad odors. We used to get terrible smells coming up from our drains, since I bought this I don’t smell it anymore.

I’m moving into a new place. The main bedroom will have an air conditioner but there’s also a small bedroom that I plan to use as a study. I won’t be spending vast amounts of time in there so I’m reluctant to buy another air conditioner just for that room. To save money and for convenience, I’ve been thinking of getting a cheap dehumidifier.

Of course I’ll keep the door closed while I’m in there so the dehumidifier can work properly. My question is; will it significantly increase comfort levels? And could it lower perceived heat? (I believe damp heat feels hotter than dry heat).

Thanks in advance.

[quote=“joesax”]I’m moving into a new place. The main bedroom will have an air conditioner but there’s also a small bedroom that I plan to use as a study. I won’t be spending vast amounts of time in there so I’m reluctant to buy another air conditioner just for that room. To save money and for convenience, I’ve been thinking of getting a cheap dehumidifier.

Of course I’ll keep the door closed while I’m in there so the dehumidifier can work properly. My question is; will it significantly increase comfort levels? And could it lower perceived heat? (I believe damp heat feels hotter than dry heat).

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

The dehumidifier will make the room warmer, not cooler. Also, I would only run it when you are at home. I had a friend who ran his dehumidifier all day and came home one day to find it melted to the floor.

Dehumidifiers are not too useful in the summer because they release heat along with making the air dry. You’re room would get too hot!! Dehumidifiers are good during the rest of the year and especially during winter when it can add a little heat to a room.

My air-conditioners also have dehumidifying and air-purifying functions (don’t most of them nowadays?). When the weather’s not hot enough to need the aircon, I often turn on the dehumidifier in the bedroom at night (because I have to close the windows to shut out the occasional noises of barking dogs etc. that would otherwise disturb my sleep), and it sends out a pleasant blast of cool, clean air that lowers the temperature in the room quite noticeably.

I usually use an AC and floor fan to increase circulation in the larger rooms.

As for airpurification I used a standard filtering device when it is necessary, but don’t usually use it.

I would stay away from O3. That stuff has a free radical. Meaning it is highly reactive to anything it get in touch with. I beleive the principle is that the O3 producing products will react with particles and microbes in the air before it gets in contact with humans, but why take that chance.

I’ve been looking to buy an effective air purifier and found this old thread. Has anyone found a good one since (power efficient, quiet, and of course, effectively cleans the air in your room)? Is the jury still out on the controversy of using ozone to purify air?

I use a Honeywell HEPA air purifier and a TECO dehumidifier and think they work well. The dehumidifier is a must. I don’t find it warms the room up all that much, but then it’s in a big room.

I’ve never found AC units to be much good at dehumidifying in the winter.

There’s a thread on Taiwan Ho about this.

do you guys leave the dehumidifier on all day long? I pretty much leave it on all day long and I dont know if it is safe or not

I’m not a dehumidifier expert, but I think they are supposed to be left on. Many people put them in their basements and never turn them off, just empty the bucket as needed.

We moved here in January and within a couple of weeks everything in our apartment was growing mold … including the soles of my very expensive dress shoes. It was awful. Once we bought our dehumidifier everything cleared up and has been great ever since.

No problems in the summer with the moisture, but for the winter the dehumidifier was a must have and an absolute life saver!

(We are moving back to the US at the end of September and therefore don’t need our dehumidifier anymore. PM me if you are interested buying it.)

Yeah, but there was a story in the paper a few months ago about the hazards of dodgy dehumidifiers. Six major brands were listed as at risk.

Brian

Yeah, but there was a story in the paper a few months ago about the hazards of dodgy dehumidifiers. Six major brands were listed as at risk.

Brian[/quote]

ya anyone got a link for that news? I wanna see if my brand is one of them

Ok, our dehumidifier is going bad (Kolin) and in addition to fixing it I think I’m gonna buy a new one.[color=blue] Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with particular brands? [/color] After having to call repairmen three or four times over the last few years, I’m concerned about longevity.

Dragonbones wrote:

Mine is Carrier, and service is Tzuen Guo Dien Tsu (the place with the quirky Taiwanese ads about service. So far, so good, after been dropped regularly and mistreated by the cats. No service needed, no filter to change -has both purifier and dehumidifier function. 5 thousand on sale.

As to the Taipei Times article on the recalls:

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2007/02/09/2003348250

Thanks; I guess that’s 全國電子 quan2guo2 dian4zi3. BTW, how long have you had that Carrier?

Well lovely, I have the Whirlpool ADS 051 and after changing the water one day I noticed that it felt really hot . I turned it on after a couple of hours and it started smoking so just left it unplugged and planned on buying a new one. Is it elgible for the recall I wonder or was it only those six?

This one was in my daughters bedroom. :fume:

Sanyo SDH66. Have had it for 6+ years, never any trouble aside from having to let it defrost after running continuously for days on end. Though I have to say, I’m a little worried about leaving it on when I’m not at home now that I’ve read that report… :astonished:

I was going to suggest my Tatung as a good choice until I saw that article - it was only $3800 at carrefour and it works really well. It doesn’t heat up the room - it actually seems to cool it down a lot in the summer and warm it up just a little in the winter. That may have something to do with the particularly high humidity in Xizhi though.

Should I bring them (I’ve got 2 of the same) to Tatung if they were made after 2005?

I have had the Whirlpool ADS051m for 3 years or more. It was part of a recall. The serviceman came to my home and installed/replaced some motorlike part. Never had any problem before or after. It works well, though I use it infrequently. I have seen enough reports from other Forumosans about problems with them that I would never leave one on while out of the apartment.

Maybe we can draw a poll or something, see how many of us dare to leave this dehumidifier on 8 hours or more. It is awfully amazing how much water these things get out of the room.

I never leave it on when I leave, but then I am the kind that unplugs all appliances before going to work. In my previous apartment, we had a main swith by the door and I would switch everything off before leaving.

My dehumidifier is like 3 years old, I’ve seen a newer model around with more functions. Can’t recall where it is made, but it is solid. I mean, poor thing has been slapped around, gets pushed all the time. Cats use it as platform to get on the bed, and it’s got these wheels… PUM! … you get the picture.

I remember asking if the filter in the back had to be changed and the guy at the store said no, if I wanted I could cut the ones for A/C units to fit. It kind of traps cat hair.