Dehumidifiers and air purifiers

[quote=“wudjamahuh”]I was going to suggest my Tatung as a good choice until I saw that article - it was only $3800 at carrefour and it works really well. It doesn’t heat up the room - it actually seems to cool it down a lot in the summer and warm it up just a little in the winter. That may have something to do with the particularly high humidity in Xizhi though.

Should I bring them (I’ve got 2 of the same) to Tatung if they were made after 2005?[/quote]

According to the article, not all machines have problems -actually, the percentage is quite low, like 4 in 10 thousand or something.

However, just to be safe, since Tatung has its own 3C stores now, drop by and ask if something needs to be done, like Dark Horse’s Whirlpool.

i got one from Mitsubishi and i have to say i am pretty happy with it.
dont recall model number, as it is at home, while i am at work currently.

if you are interested i can send it by PM to you. i got this thing since 3 years now and it works like a charm. japanese built stuff overall is very good.

Mine was just a cheap one, I bought from the Geant round the corner. It is a ‘Kitakawa KD101-B’. The bad part is that it is heavy and noisy. It has worked really well for years, though.

I just got a Sanyo dehumidifier because I needed to keep my room at a constant 45% RH (and I have to run them continuously in order to keep it at that level at the current (80%+ RH outside) weather). I build guitars in my room so having a controlled humidity is very important… then and also I was hoping to not have to run the aircon as much in the summer by keeping the humidity level low. I just bought it a few days ago should I be concerned with fires and stuff? I run them continuously. I really have to though otherwise my guitar woods will start doing interesting things like warping…

Here’s a question I’ve always wanted to ask regarding air purifiers. Are you supposed to leave the windows open or closed when you run an air purifier? With a dehumidifier, you’d obviously want to keep the windows shut to keep out the humid air, but wouldn’t you want fresh air to come into the room by keeping the windows open? If you keep the windows shut, wouldn’t you be recirculating stale air, albeit “purified”?

bump.

Are you all still happy with your air purifiers? Particularly interested in Tatung models.

One more recall. A biggie now, several brands involved. Check your serial numbers, folks:

[quote]The 27 recalled models are manufactured by
Tatung (大同 )
Sanyo (三洋)
TECO (東元)
Sampo (聲寶 )
Westinghouse (西屋)
Gibson (吉普生),
Frigidaire (富及第)
Kolin (歌林)
and Whirlpool (惠而浦 ).

[/quote]

Check print edition of China Post for model numbers

I too would like to hear an answer to this…I live on the 10th floor and we typically leave one balcony door open, and another couple of windows…pretty good air circulation but I’d love cleaner air. I’d imagine with a purifier you wouldn’t want everything wide open, maybe a crack or 2 though.

And how effective are purifiers for those that have them? Would I be all like “Ahhh fresh air, what a difference and I’m so glad I purchased this magnificent device!”?

[quote=“Icon”]One more recall. A biggie now, several brands involved. Check your serial numbers, folks:

[quote]The 27 recalled models are manufactured by
Tatung (大同 )
Sanyo (三洋)
TECO (東元)
Sampo (聲寶 )
Westinghouse (西屋)
Gibson (吉普生),
Frigidaire (富及第)
Kolin (歌林)
and Whirlpool (惠而浦 ).

[/quote]

Check print edition of China Post for model numbers[/quote]

Anyplace online I can find the model numbers? I also have a Tatung bought at Carrefour a couple of years ago at around 3000-4000 ntd.

Tatung

TWD-510B
TWD-511B
TWD-711B
TWD-660B
TWD-500B

Customer service: 0800-052-666

All models:
bsmi.gov.tw/wSite/public/Att … 341406.doc

Im also interested in recommendations, this is something I need to purchase before the wet season this year - we already have one that was gifted to us, its so old the plastic is yellowed and i thought it was supposed to heat up a little

In winter we tend to open windows during nice hot days to dry the house out, but use a dehumidifier overnight.

have to report it feels warmer in the house and although I have an"oil heater" I havent switched it on this winter yet

• date january 29!!!

We bought a Panasonic F-Y907MW a couple of months ago and it does a great job. Highly recommended. It was about $4000 at 3C.

I too would like to hear an answer to this…I live on the 10th floor and we typically leave one balcony door open, and another couple of windows…pretty good air circulation but I’d love cleaner air. I’d imagine with a purifier you wouldn’t want everything wide open, maybe a crack or 2 though.
[/quote]
I have found the answer since I posted the question: You’ll need an energy recovery ventilation system. The beauty of it is that it filters fresh air instead of the stale air in your room. The problem is you’ll have to remodel your apartment to install one. :neutral:

incubus, Im sold - how much are they? Then just gotta work out a purchase timeframe!

Depending on which brand you get (import or domestic) and the type of supporting hardware you use, the total cost including installation can be anywhere from NT$50,000 to over NT$65,000. If you think fresh clean air is worth that, then go for it.

These too catch fire…

[quote]Up to 120,000 defective dehumidifiers produced between 2003 and 2006 have not been returned since a recall was announced in 2007, Taiwan’s top product certification body said at a press conference Friday.

Following a recent fire suspected to have been caused by a faulty dehumidifier, the Bureau of Standards, Metrology and Inspection (BSMI) and dehumidifier manufacturers and distributors urged the public to check product model numbers and immediately stop using recalled appliances. 

Owners of recalled dehumidifiers were told to contact the service offices of product providers for repair or replacement. 

BSMI Deputy Director-General Huang Lai-ho said a recall was issued for some 210,000 defective dehumidifiers, including 27 models and nine brands: Tatung, Sanyo, Sampo, Teco, Westinghouse, Gibson, Frigidaire, Kolin and Whirlpool. Only 41.6 percent of the products have been returned, Huang said. 

Huang said that more details about brands, model numbers and production dates of the defective products are available online at [bsmi.gov.tw](http://www.bsmi.gov.tw). 

Over the past 21 months, 83 accidents related to defective dehumidifiers were reported, Huang added. 

[/quote]

[quote]附件:除濕機回收/召回訊息
【詳細資訊請至本局商品安全資訊網(safety.bsmi.gov.tw/)查詢】
For more information, go to teh Bureau’s webpage at safety.bsmi.gov.tw/

廠牌 型號 產製期間 聯絡方式
Brand Model manufacturing date Liaison telephone numbers

大同
Tatung TWD-510B 94年1月~95年10月 1.服務專線電話:0800-052-6662.桃園冷氣場小冷中心,電話:03-386-1111 Ext. 705
TWD-511B 94年1月~95年10月
TWD-711B 94年1月~95年10月
TWD-660B 94年1月~95年10月
TWD-500B 92年1月~94年6月

三洋
Sanyo SDH-501B 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-081-567
SDH-512B 94年1月~95年10月
SDH-612B 94年1月~95年10月
SDH-680B 94年1月~95年10月

東元
TECO MD1088B 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-281-200
MD1095B 94年1月~95年10月
MD1096B 94年1月~95年10月
MD1097B 94年1月~95年10月
MD1316B 94年1月~95年10月
MD1401WA 94年1月~95年10月
MD1801WA 94年1月~95年10月

聲寶
SAMPO AD-K123 94年1月~95年10月 服務專線電話:0800-005-438
AD-K125 94年1月~95年10月
AD-1861N 94年1月~95年10月

西屋
Westinghouse WED-112P 94年1月~95年10月 代修服務電話:04-2491-2151

吉普生
Gibson GD-102NB 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-033-678
GD-105NBI 92年1月~94年6月

富及第
Frigadaire FDH-1020N 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-033-678
FDH-1050NB 92年1月~94年6月

歌林
Kolin KJ-K105B 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-066-628
KJ-K50B 92年1月~94年6月

惠而浦
Whirlpool ADS051M 92年1月~94年6月 服務專線電話:0800-888-105

[/quote]
bsmi.gov.tw/wSite/public/Att … 999828.doc

Attached are service line numbers for further information.

Pictures of the items:
safety.bsmi.gov.tw/wSite/public/ … 311824.jpg

Not so nice pictures:
tw.news.search.yahoo.com/search? … type=photo

Hi guys,

I’m in the market for two humidifiers. I’d like one for the kitchen and one for our room.

We run the a/c on in multiple rooms, but I think a humidifier would make things more comfortable and sometimes a/c wouldn’t be needed.

I am running out right now, but thought I’d post the question first and garner some thoughts (looking at you, Icon!). I’ll do a more intensive search on the boards later. Some links would be great, too, though I did do some reading already last night.

Have a nice day! Nice and breezy and not humid today!

This person is selling some:
viewtopic.php?f=154&t=103480

To all interested: remember to check the list of recalls. Some models of heaters and dehumidifiers were found to have problems -like catching fire- so check the list and verify model numbers before purchase. Most stores will have a list of the recalls.

Some lists here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=87463
and here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=86741

[quote=“funkymonkey”]This person is selling some:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=103480[/quote]

This poster said they were looking for humidifiers, but they named the topic “Dehumidifiers.” I think it was a mistake and they aren’t looking for those. I can’t imagine anyone feeling they would be more comfortable adding humidity to their life in Taiwan. :astonished: