Deleted Posts

Is it just me? I have found fairly innocuous posts of mine deleted for no apparent reason, no explanation given, nothing, nada, nyet.

Does this happen to others?

A certain poster is leaving the forum, I make a comment, not a glowing comment, not a comment wishing the best (though I do not wish ill), just a very trite saying - and it gets deleted? Whatever. . . .

I am beginning to wonder if the rumors about the forum or at least certain threads are dominated by an “in” crew of dudes who just delete whatever they don’t like, and yeah kinda Star Chamber-like.

Bodo

You just don’t understand Forumosa Culture.

If you write, “I don’t like dumplings” it could be edited to read, “I don’t like Taiwanese”

Clearly, saying “I don’t like dumplings” is racist.

If I was a moderator, I would edit your post to read, “Clearly saying ‘I don’t like dumplings’ is distasteful.”

Maybe deleting, changing and adding words is all ok. Maybe this can just be a “post and hope for the best” forum. Hmmm.

If it was regarded a personal attack it would have been flamed.

I don’t think I saw it… was it more personal than anything else?

[quote=“Tigerman”]If it was regarded a personal attack it would have been flamed.

I don’t think I saw it… was it more personal than anything else?[/quote]

It was a line call. Some would call it in and some out.

It comes down to posting on Forumosa and being willing to work within the guidelines.

[color=blue]
Respect the wishes of the moderators and administrators.[/color]

[quote=“Ironman”]
[color=blue]
Respect the wishes of the moderators and administrators.[/color][/quote]

Ironman, with all due respect I think that is not the correct sentiment. What you should have written was, [color=green]“Please respect the inconsistency of the moderators and administrators.”[/color]

I find it odd that some people in IP can write flames, personal attacks or respond directly to the OP with blatant insults. One mod wrote to Richardm something to the effect of… “If 4 mods haven’t deleted it, then it is acceptable.” Meaning that you can write whatever the hell you want? How can IP have a different set of rules? Rules it would also seem that allow them to continue their posting style in other forums. “Oh, He’s an I.P. head, thats OK.” They are discussing ‘real important stuff’ like what happened in Germany 50 years ago, or should America have gone to war in Iraq. Whereas others just post about stuff like raising their kids, or how to be a better teacher. That kind of poster has to obey the rules. But go on about political tactics in Iran and you can call people all sorts of names. Odd.

I am befuddled as to why my comment was deleted. Nuthin personal, just wonderin. The irony is that people are responding to possibly the most combative member of the community, and stuff gets deleted. ITS ALREADY IN THE FLOUNDER FORUM. Just leave it. Doesn’t Mr He have enough to do without having to prune stuff thats already in the garbage can? Talk about separating the turds from the piss.

Final point, I have read and written on this site for two plus years and these complaints keep springing up. I think it is because they haven’t been dealt with in a satisfactory manner. I.E. you will say, ‘the rules are the rules, moderating is a tough job and these guys do it for free.’

I’m (DELETED) to write, but (DELETED) can’t.

The Temp Forum runs under the same rules Tom. No personal attacks in there either. :slight_smile:

Why people are making it a point to express their disatisfaction with this poster on his departure instead of just letting it/him go surprises me.

What’s the point?

The Temp Forum runs under the same rules Tom. No personal attacks in there either. :slight_smile:

Why people are making it a point to express their disatisfaction with this poster on his departure instead of just letting it/him go surprises me.

What’s the point?[/quote]

So why no edit function?
The answer to your question is: You reap what you sow.

:bravo: :notworthy: :bravo: A true classic! :bravo: :notworthy: :bravo:

You call people ‘racist’ and ‘asshole’ and you need an explanation why the post gets removed? :s

That’s a good point, but then again, things are temped because the poster in question did NOT use the edit function beforehand, right??

chicken
egg?

That’s a good point, but then again, things are temped because the poster in question did NOT use the edit function beforehand, right??

chicken
egg?[/quote]

I have two questions:

1. If I am able to post a response in the Temp. forum, why can’t I edit it myself? Sometimes some of us like to add to the quality of the throw away threads. We have not been sent there, we have placed ourselves there. Can’t we edit our own stuff?

2. If something is placed into the Temp. forum, for whatever reason, why does it then need to be moderated again? For example: One poster writes, “You are a d**k,” and a moderator puts it in the temp forum. Mr He can then moderate it again and either flame it, or edit it further to, “You have a penis.” It sends me the impression that
    A) this is pointless busywork B) this is pointless busywork C) this is pointless busywork.

Do the moderators agree upon why the Temp. forum exists? Is it a kind of purgatory, or is it a garbage bin free for all?

[quote=“TomHill”]I have two questions:

1. If I am able to post a response in the Temp. forum, why can’t I edit it myself? Sometimes some of us like to add to the quality of the throw away threads. We have not been sent there, we have placed ourselves there. Can’t we edit our own stuff? [/quote]
    The idea of not being able to edit was to ensure that posters do not change the content and then claim there was no reason to remove the post.
    However since the temp forum is more than a collection of rule-breaking posts it might not be a bad idea to activate the edit function, something Maoman would need to decide on however.

[quote]2) If something is placed into the Temp. forum, for whatever reason, why does it then need to be moderated again? For example: One poster writes, “You are a d**k,” and a moderator puts it in the temp forum. Mr He can then moderate it again and either flame it, or edit it further to, “You have a penis.” It sends me the impression that
A) this is pointless busywork B) this is pointless busywork C) this is pointless busywork. [/quote]
Such obvious insults should go directly into the flame forum, without any editing; the temp forum is not meant for those.

It’s forum for all stuff that doesn’t need to be preserved but with the same rules applied as any other forum.

Not knowing much about computers here but…

Could the posts that get moved to the temp be blocked from being edited, whilst new comments added after it has been temped can be edited?
Is that even possible in todays new fangled world?

As a general rule, I won’t edit, unless there’s something very worthwhile in the most of a post. If a part of it is flammable, then the whole post goes. there is a life span on posts in temp, therefore I don’t perform complicated surgery on posts in temp.

If there’s a personal attack, then I will flame it, and only contact the poster if I after reading the post senses that it’s bordering on something people deserve a warning/ suspension/ banning for.

I would advice the OP to read my PM, sent yesterday evening.

tomhill’s suggestion has some merit.

We’re having a moderator’s meeting on Sunday - maybe we can discuss this as well…

In response to Miranda’s plea for Fred Smith to come back, I countered with something along the lines of Nah, Bugger Off Fred and concentrate on being an awful restaurant customer, which in the context of previous posts in the restaurant forum and the fact that he is a friend cannot be construed as in any way being a personal attack. That post was immediately deleted but it was a joking one. I fail to understand that and I find it disappointing. In fact I just saw Fred Smith and told him exactly the same, as I always do, and he wasn’t in the least bit offended. I am perplexed as to whose mores the deleting of my not-so-fond farewell in jest was supposed to be protecting.

It’s silly.

Bob

[quote=“TpeBob”] In fact I just saw Fred Smith and told him exactly the same, as I always do, and he wasn’t in the least bit offended. I am perplexed as to whose mores the deleting of my not-so-fond farewell in jest was supposed to be protecting.

It’s silly.

Bob[/quote]

I was out running and the mod in question was driving past, I jumped in his car and had a chat until the dog farted.

We discussed this topic and he feels that Fred Smith deserves to depart with respect for his long standing contributions to Forumosa and International Politics.

So, a little over protective in a good way. I’m sure he could say all this but I get to mention the dog farting in the car.