Deleting PMs

Of course, the other person has their copy. but that has precious little to do with my accounts’ liability :wink:

Some do some dont. Key point being, I always assumed the option was there. there are people that have reasons to do so, so the option is incredibly useful. I have had probably 20 email accounts since 2004 haha. different work, different reasons. Like bank accounts in Taiwan, everyone has a stack of em.

Exactly like every post
[/quote]

Cheers. this is my original.question. I am actually quite shocked they cant be deleted. Iam not complaining, just genuinely surprised. I can see the logic from a site side liability issue. but from the user side, it seem abnormal. either way, at least I know to stop trying to find the magic delete button and also not to help people pm anymore haha! I simply just dont want to be connected to people Iam not intentionally dealing with. again, that was my bad (and not an issue on case admn are worried…just an innocent question).

on the rest of the threads’ evolution. I can kind of see, from an organizational perspective, keeping public forum threads in place. even the edit button shows the original message. little excuses and total liability on the poster side. which seems fair. but private messages Ijust assumed were different as is/was standard elsewhere. probably no coincidence companies like saying DM now rather than PM, avoids a whole lot of liability…:frowning:

There was a poster in the past who used to go on huge rants, I think about his sex life, and then go back and delete them all. Presumably after he’d calmed down/sobered up. It was amusing to watch.

According to gdpr laws in many countries you should be able to delete any personal information and content.

2 Likes

We assume so. but, probably, only the EU actually does this? thinking more about it, I highly doubt Taiwan has such laws to protect people. the laws here are overwhelmingly against the public with an intense push not to enforce them until there is an issue. in which case the hammer can ckme down real hard, real fast.

again, just to be clear with admins. this was an innocent question, there is no problem :slight_smile: no need to waste time on seeing if there was an issue, there wasnt. just curious as it seems quite strange not to be able to. if it’s for liability reasons, I get it.

moving forward though, it’s strange one cant delete private messages :yum:

It’s all server hosted. Microsoft Exchange and Gmail keep all emails until everyone who has access to it has deleted it.

Another reason for corpos to pull their head out of their arse and keep the feckin carbon copy list to an absolute minimum.

The EU and California both have pretty strict laws, if your website is accessible in those places (which Forumosa is).

1 Like

i believe some mods or admins have access to PMs, and they can delete anyones PMs.

Probably someone does, in case of highly inappropriate PMs

Admins have access to user PM boxes but under our rules we won’t initiate access directly except under “dire circumstances”. PMs can be flagged like any other post, in which case mods and admins will have access to that PM thread. A PM can be deleted by mods with access or admins like any other post to remove it from public access, but like any other “deleted” post it will remain in our Discourse database.

1 Like

Isn’t it against some kind of data protection laws to not delete user uploaded content when the user requests it? Also, if all anonymized users are changed to a unique anonymous username, then it’s not really anonymous, because if someone recognizes one of that person’s posts, they can find all the others. It would be better to have all anonymous accounts changed to the same username of “anonymous”

1 Like

Article 3

A data subject shall be able to exercise the following rights with regard to his/her personal data and such rights shall not be waived or limited contractually in advance:

1. the right to make an inquiry of and to review his/her personal data;
  2. the right to request a copy of his/her personal data;
  3. the right to supplement or correct his/her personal data;
  4. the right to demand the cessation of the collection, processing or use of his/her personal data; and
  5. the right to erase his/her personal data.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=I0050021

I believe these laws only apply to social media accounts where your real-life identity is associated with your account. Nobody knows who “meishijia” is in real life, so your posts are considered anonymous.

Therefore your posts are not considered “personal data”.

1 Like

It seems open to interpretation, but I think the laws relate to “personal data” and I’m not sure that “user-uploaded content” falls under that.

1 Like

At least 10 people know who I am in real life

Sounds to me like you voluntarily gave up your anonymity when Forumosa did not require you to (like Facebook does), so I believe that’s on you.

2 Likes

Still, under the law it seems like I have the right to request deletion of my content. There’s nothing in particular I want to delete, I just think I should have the right

1 Like

Yeah that’s how I feel too, but I don’t believe it’s a legal requirement. I could be wrong though.

Keep in mind that you can still request all of your posts be associated with a new username, so the name “meishijia” will no longer be associated with them.

what the law says you have the right is your personal data.

“personal data” refers to a natural person’s name, date of birth, ID Card number, passport number, features, fingerprints, marital status, family information, education background, occupation, medical records, healthcare data, genetic data, data concerning a person’s sex life, records of physical examination, criminal records, contact information, financial conditions, data concerning a person’s social activities and any other information that may be used to directly or indirectly identify a natural person;

4 Likes

I don’t think so. I think when we choose to post written things publicly on the internet, they’re no longer exclusively “our” content. If we don’t want the information public, we shouldn’t post it.

3 Likes