Deleting PMs

Sorry, this must be a dumb as all heck post. but how do I delete my inbox messages?

when in message I tried to hit the trash can and get this message:

You don’t have permission to delete this topic. If you really want it to be deleted, submit a flag for moderator attention together with reasoning.

when in the inbox I see no check boxes, holding and waiting for a prompt doesnt happen, just the usual"open in new tab" type window.

Ifeel bad for asking, as Iknow it has to be ultra simple. but I just cant see it…where is the delete/empty type button?

cheers for any help :slight_smile:

They’re basically private posts, so you can’t delete them. There’s no size limit, so you can just ignore them

not worried about size limits, just wanto delete PMs I helped others make as they are not to do with me nor with people I associate with normally. that’s probably.my mistake, I thought they were able to be deleted…

They are owned by the Forumosa corporation.

4 Likes

farck :face_in_clouds:

1 Like

Are @Explant "s PM’s for sale?

I’ll start bidding at 100$ NTD

2 Likes

I don’t have access to PMs, but do you think they’re worth that much?

I believe they were already sold to Google. But subsequently crashed their servers due to lack of punctuation.

4 Likes

ok, that one actually made me laugh out loud. touche. i already had to edit it because my phone wrote it PMS. It was a bit much, even for me :joy:

but on a serious note, no one cares about being connected to strangers anymore? liability? etc…

I always thought deleting private messages was pretty standard procedure. like emails. nothing really bad if course, but helping people.message others because they cannot etc. and I dont know the other person etc.

going forward, I wont. but it’s good to know that private messages are permanent here. I literally never would have thought that a thing, until now.

I miss old internet :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

With email the other person still has a copy after you delete your copy

I haven’t deleted an email since I got on GMail about 2004

Exactly like every post

You can delete private chats so they don’t take up any visual space in your chat list, but not private messages.

1 Like

I’ve often wanted to delete my account on this platform and all my posts and comments with it, but I don’t think it’s allowed. If it is, someone contact me about it

Don’t we all.

It would certainly make the threads harder to follow, if there are a bunch of deleted posts.

In any case, there is a procedure where you can have all your posts disassociated from your user name. You’ll need to contact Tempogain for that.

3 Likes

Deleting posts will make many threads illegible. One can request to anonymize the account. Then all posts will be associated with some random Anonymous7232 account.

Edit: I posted basically same thing as HongKonger at the same time.

3 Likes

Do they have to explain why they want it anonymised?

Or do you just do it upon request?

1 Like

It’s not really much different from a member name change as far as we’re concerned.

3 Likes

True. Even if the posts are anonymized, they are still associated with one another because they will still share the same user name.

1 Like

how do I delete my inbox messages?

The thing is, you’d also be deleting someone else’s PM, or everyone’s PM in a group message. You can remove yourself from the PM which will take it out of your inbox. Look for the Add or Remove button under the OP.

3 Likes

But what happens to the email associated with it?

Deleted?

Or is the email just linked to the anonymous account?

Email is deleted.

2 Likes