Deli (NY/Jewish Style?)

Yeah, I’m dreamin’ Can anyone suggest the closest thing to a NYC or jewish deli in Taipei?

Maybe just a place to get good US-style sandwiches. The best I have found is Au Bon Pain (sad, yes) and the Yamazaki deli in the basement of Sogo/Dayeh Takashimaya.

Thanks,

Todd

There’s a place under the Westin Hotel on Nanjing East Road called “New York Deli.” I’ve never been to New York, so I can’t say how authentic it is. It ain’t cheap, but you can sit inside or outside on the sidewalk. Sandwiches are first-class.

i’ve never done the Westin Hotel joint, only passed it on the street, but I’ve done the deli over under the hotel across from Taipei Main Station by the downstairs McDonalds. its nothing special but they have essential ingredients. none of these are new york style though. i went out for sandwiches at Subway with a bunch of my Taiwanese coworkers and we talked about their impressions of the sandwiches. i don’t think they’re going to go crazy for new york deli sandwiches too soon, but between us chaulkies in exile and the more ‘worldly’ Taiwanese you’d think a passable deli could clean up in Taipei.

somebody tell me where it is cuz i’m a sucker for a good sammich. i’ll try the Westin joint, but it’ll surely leave me hungry for something approaching a real deli. if it doesn’t i’ll post back and eat my words.

Also, don’t forget NY Bagels on Yi-tung street, if bagels are your thing.

Do tell where that NY Bagels is? Is that the one near Tai Da? I had heard it closed a few months back?

I’d love to try it … Au Bon Pain’s bagels are so far the best I have found. The ones in the other US/Japanese coffee shops (e.g., IS, Coffee Bean) leave much to be desired.

Todd

What I wouldn’t give for a branch of the Second Avenue Deli here…

I went into the Westin deli shortly after it opened. Although the place looked like it would be great, it was awful. Astonishingly slow service (even though my friends and I were the only customers). And our overpriced coffee was served in paper cups, despite rows of perfectly good coffee cups behind the counter.

Maybe that place has finally gotten its act together.

For bagels, Marco Polo (on Chongqing S. Rd.?) is pretty good. But don’t look for poppyseed, cuz the owner got busted for trying to import some.

NY Bagels has its own website

NY Bagels

The address is 28, Yi-tung street. Go to the intersection of Chienkuo N Road and Nanjing E Road, and start walking west on Nanjing E Road. Yitung street is the first street you come across.

quote:
Originally posted by cranky laowai: I went into the Westin deli shortly after it opened. Although the place looked like it would be great, it was awful. Astonishingly slow service (even though my friends and I were the only customers). And our overpriced coffee was served in paper cups, despite rows of perfectly good coffee cups behind the counter. Maybe that place has finally gotten its act together.
If it has, it's news to me. I was there a few months ago, presented with hotel prices street vendor service. They gave me disposable utensils - plastic fork, plastic knife, salad in a plastic box, sandwich also in a plastic box. Honestly, my university cafeteria had better presentation. Add to this the fact that I was served by an old Tai-po who couldn't speak English and obviously had no hotel training -I asked for mayo with my roast beef sandwich and was met with incredulity: "Nimen waiguoren nemma xihuan chi shala (mayonnaise) hunh?" (You foreigners sure do like to eat mayonnaise, don't you) [img]images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

I also think that the NY Deli in the Westin Hotel on NanJing Rd. is tops! I like their pastrami sandwich as well as their huge tasty hamburgers. I vote them for the best burgers in town!

They use to have great quesadillas too.

I wandered past the NY Deli at the Westin around 730 last night. They now have a “Music and Noodle” evening deal where - for NT$150 - you can ‘enjoy’ (endure??) LOUD Channel V music on a SUPER sized screen and a bowl of noodles. Sounds like another tale of a good idea turned bad. And I thought the food and bev mamager at the Westin was an Aussie? … alas it appears all has gone pear shaped and another western style establishment has had to turn the corner and do it with a Taiwan slant…

I was hoping that New York Deli at the Westin would be a good NYC/Jewish-style deli when i went there - very disappointing