Demonym for Taipei

There isn’t a demonym in English for people living in Taipei (and by Taipei I mean greater Taipei, not Taipei City). So I was thinking that perhaps the premiere English language forum of this fair isle :smiley: should simply create one, adopt it, and prescribe it, so that it becomes part of the English language.

OK maybe that’s wishful thinking (and maybe there is a reason there isn’t one) but just for fun I’ll kick things off with a few suggestions and hopefully others will chime in.

Taipean.

Taipian.

Taipeiite.

Taipeier.

Taipayer (because it is expensive :laughing: )

Taipeiese.

Taipeiren.

Taiparian (because it sounds like riparian which means situated on the bank of a river, lake etc.)

Anyone gonna bite?

I’ve been running with 天龍人 (celestial dragon people… a PTT in-joke) but I suppose “Taipeier” is what I’ve heard most often in English. It’s rather awkward though…

I actually have the exact same question. I read it somewhere that it’s “Taipier”, but idk how true it is.

Tai-peon.

Taipan

Typist?

Taipeiren seems to be the most accurate.

Or it could be “Taipeinese,” following the precedent set by “Shanghainese.”

The demonym of Brunei is Bruneian, I guess Taipei should follow those that also end in “ei”?
Or we can copy the really weird ones: Taipeisider(Sydneysider), Taipeite(Tokyoite), or perhaps just Taipes(Swedes, Finns, Danes etc.)

Taipets
Taipoon
Taipeiyans
Taipos
Peians
Peiyo
Peiren

By the way Celestial Dragon came from One Piece, those people that were practically gods in the universe who wore space suits around common people because they refuse to breathe the same air everyone else breathes. Anything done to them results in a fleet admiral (there are only three of them, one is Ice Logia fruit user, the other is light logia fruit user, and the third is a lava logia fruit user, all of them insanely powerful). They appeared in the Shabody Archipelago story arc where the Straw hats got badly beaten by Kizaru (he light guy) and ended up getting scattered by Kuma’s power (where he could basically punt people halfway across the world)

In the arc the Celestial Dragon guy was mistreating a mermaid who was captured as a slave, and Luffy basically beat the crap out of him.

Taiwanker?

Taipays ?

Taipiss’er.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]By the way Celestial Dragon came from One Piece, those people that were practically gods in the universe who wore space suits around common people because they refuse to breathe the same air everyone else breathes. Anything done to them results in a fleet admiral (there are only three of them, one is Ice Logia fruit user, the other is light logia fruit user, and the third is a lava logia fruit user, all of them insanely powerful). They appeared in the Shabody Archipelago story arc where the Straw hats got badly beaten by Kizaru (he light guy) and ended up getting scattered by Kuma’s power (where he could basically punt people halfway across the world)

In the arc the Celestial Dragon guy was mistreating a mermaid who was captured as a slave, and Luffy basically beat the crap out of him.[/quote]

I want what you are smoking :thumbsup:

[col]Taipeiist|[quote=“Xeno”]I’ve been running with 天龍人 (celestial dragon people… a PTT in-joke) but I suppose “Taipeier” is what I’ve heard most often in English. It’s rather awkward though…[/quote]
My wife is the least likely person I know who would know anything about One Piece, but when I mentioned 天龍人, she knew it was a reference to Taipei residents. I hadn’t heard of this term before Xeno brought it up.

Thanks to Taiwan Luthiers for clarifying this further. Here’s a video from YouTube for those who are confused about what this is about

[/col]

I believe they call Taipei ‘天龍國’ on Internet forums. It makes sense given the resources Taipei has compared to the rest of the country.

i think the consensus is if Lien get elected in the coming election, the Celestial Dragon will be renamed to Tian-peng-guo (天蓬國, Celestial Comet)

I’ve always liked Taipeite myself. Another option is Taipei people, or to make it even more local Taipeipeopo. But the most likely to get accepted in English is probably Taipeier.

Typist
Type-A-er
Teppanyaki

I would think Taipeite sounds better.

Or

since just Tai is pretty much unnecessary in Taiwan city names, since there’s Taichung, Tainan, Taidong and such, simply Bei for the city and Beier for the Celestial Dragons.

A Peier and a Naner are getting married, so they decided to hold the ceremony halfway in between to accomodate all their Chunger friends. Unfortunately, it’s a bit far for the Tungers to make it out.

I have no idea what I just wrote.