Denied entry to hospitals (and photographed without consent)

i am a visa-free-entry-covid-extension british person. my legal status here is tourist.

today i went with my fiance (non taiwanese ARC holder) to the hospital for her pregnancy check up and was denied entry because i didn’t have a 健保卡 or a 台灣身分證.

we are in changhua county.

i tried to present my drivers license, my passport, but to no avail. they had to type in a number and the system wouldnt accept my passport number.

my fiance went in for her checkup and i called the hospital to ask to speak to the management, after getting past various gatekeepers i managed to get through to someone in administration to explain the situation, and she said she would let me know by monday.

im currently in a situation where if my fiance goes in to labour i will be denied entry to the hospital where she is to give birth because i dont have the necessary ID cards despite being here in taiwan completely legally

on top of that while i was waiting outside one of the security guards came and secretly took a picture of me with his mobile phone, 2 minutes later another security guard came out to walk past me and i asked him if his colleague had taken a picture of me and he said yes, so i asked him for his company name and the name of the employee who had taken a picture of me, he refused to give me either of those and threatened to call the police. you can imagine i wasnt too happy about that. and i let them know in no uncertain terms of that fact. anyway, is there anybody who can raise the issue of tourists now being denied entry to hospitals? who can i contact to expedite the adjustment of regulations to allow tourists to enter hospitals?

Hey there. Call the Taiwan CDC ASAP and explain the situation. They will handle the negotiation with Changhua hospital. I’ve been rejected from a clinic in Changhua once as well.

Feel for you. but police mihht not have been a bad thing although you probably dont want to cause your pregnant fiance stress. But the police report might help you i would think. If they take pictures of you, its faifair to know their name. Not sure about the law, but seems reasonable.

Hope you got a picture of them :slight_smile:

1 Like

why were you rejected?

taking pictures of peoples faces is illegal here so i thought two wrongs dont make a right

I presented myself to the clinic having a skin condition. Was rejected because I was a non-arc holding individual at the time. Not sure why it mattered.

I dont think it is if you arent displaying hem publicly. Taking pictures for private legal matters i was under the impression is fine.

Sometimes 2 wrongs do make a point though. I would call it self defense and remain untouchable.

1 Like

If you are a patiant who needs some medical treatment, it was an issue that you were denied entry to hospital, but now restricting entry of unnecesarry people is a norm.

7 Likes

True, but it sounds like he was restricted not because he’s not allowed to accompany her, but because their system won’t accept any of his “numbers”

The hospital was just following the rules?

1 Like

But according this link, you are allowed one companion to go to the hospital with you. So, he should be allowed to accompany her.

the rules are the problem. thats the whole point of my post. please keep up.

anyway, the hospital administrator got on the phone to the CDC and i am now allowed in, all i need to do is bring my passport and call her in advance when we are coming for an appointment. problem seems to be solved so far. she even apologised for the behaviour of the security guards and said she would have a word with their boss on monday.

14 Likes

thats weird. usually they are happy to take the money. im assuming a language barrier i just say 自費自費 and they register me

It’s not illegal.

1 Like

it is, thats why you dont get any unscripted youtube prank videos from taiwan. look up 隱私法

1 Like

I’m going to trust what my lawyer says.

Not only that, he’s not doing an unsolicited prank video. He’s trying to get into a HOSPITAL!

4 Likes

No need to be rude. Taiwan is dealing with its first real COVID outbreak. We should all exercise humility and be a little kinder to each other. While I can empathize with you and understand why you’d be frustrated, the situation and rules are changing very rapidly and it’s reasonable to expect that staff at places like hospitals might struggle to figure out how to deal with different situations. Especially in Changhua. Ha.

8 Likes

Silly question: there is this Taiwan ARC-like ID number that anyone can get, right? Would that help?

7 Likes

I don’t know if it would help or make your life more difficult. Anything with identification numbers in Taiwan is iffy if you’re not a Taiwan national. :sweat_smile: