Dentist recommendation?

Could anyone recommend a trustworthy dentist? Part of my tooth just chipped right off! My wish is to find a dentist who can save the rest of it, rather than destroy what’s left.
In or near Da’an would be a plus, but I’m willing to go out of my way if there’s an exceptional one somewhere.

On a related note, does anyone know if there are any biological dentists in Taipei who follow the SMART protocol for removing amalgam fillings?

1 Like

I chipped a tooth about 4 years ago and saw a dentist at MetDent Dental Clinic in the Daan area. I was seen by Dr. Huang 黃詩雯 and she did a pretty good job. She did screw up with the color of the crown which she was supposed to change so I came back and she put it in and then informed me that the color was off. It didn’t matter that much because you can’t see it, but still I realized that there was some monkeying around going on which is fairly common in Taiwanese clinics. Lots of pressure on the dentists to make more money for the owners. Nevertheless, her work was solid, she spoke English well, and was quite attentive to any of my needs (except the color of the crown).

美登牙醫診所 MetDent Dental Clinic
02 2356 0277
https://maps.app.goo.gl/3fWiuY6gmktknGTN7?g_st=ic

She was waaaay better than the sadistic clinic I went to in Shilin where the dentist told me I didn’t need Novocain for some fillings and then started drilling. It hurt like a murtherfukker and she yelled at me to sit still and then grabbed my jaw. Later on the fillings kept on falling out and then I realized it was time to find someone else.

2 Likes

I used to recommend them but had a couple of bad experiences when I needed something bigger than a clean done, personally I would not go back.

1 Like

How long ago and who did you see? Dr. Huang was pretty good (except for the wrong color crown). I did have another guy work on me once because she wasn’t available and I didn’t feel comfortable with him.

1 Like

Could be 10 years ago when I first went, had no issues and then something changed 4 to 6 years ago, perhaps one of the partners left, I don’t know. A lady dentist then started there and redid a couple of fillings, cracked a tooth doing it which led to being passed around the different dentists in the practise who all created new problems and eventually having to get an extraction. They “accidentally” messed up a few appointments in that period which meant wasted trips and rebookings, never happened before the issue, got the impression they were hoping I’d just go somewhere else.

1 Like

The impression I have with dentists is to not bother and leave well enough alone.

I am British, though, with summer teeth.

2 Likes

I’ve reached the same conclusion actually. Have had too many teeth ruined by dentists, so now only go in for emergencies.

Unfortunately this is one of my two front teeth, and a sizeable chunk from the bottom is now missing. (Ironically, this issue was also caused by something a dentist did in the past as part of a “bite adjustment”). So I’m going to need to see a dentist, and would rather it be a dentist someone here can vouch for.

1 Like