Dependent NHI question

I have a full time job, and they sponsor my NHI, labor insurance, etc. I also have an LLC, and I plan to hire my wife and give her a salary of around 50K per month. It actually works out cheaper for my wife to be on my full time job’s NHI as a dependent than it would be for her to have her own NHI as an employee of my LLC. However, I still want to hire her for a couple reasons that I won’t get it into here. My question is, can my LLC hire my wife, not sponsor her NHI and let her stay on my full time job’s NHI as my dependent?

FYI

2 Likes

Thanks, but still not really clear on whether the newly employed person needs to be insured again if they already have NHI through their spouse.

According to the NHI handbook:

If you work for a company, the government or any other organization, you should be registered in the National Health Insurance program through your employer.

If you are unemployed and are a legal dependent of an employed spouse or a direct blood relative, you should enroll through your spouse or relative’s insurance registration organization.

It seems your wife fits the first category but not the second (she is not unemployed), so she must enroll through her employer (you). She should not be enrolled through your employer as your dependent.

Your employer shouldn’t have to pay for your wife if she works for someone else (you).

2 Likes

依健保法規定,受僱者應以其受僱之事業、機構為投保單位,不得以工、農、漁會會員、無職業地區人口、榮民或眷屬身分投保。

I think it is very clearly said that an employee cannot be insured as a dependent.

1 Like

Okay thanks guys.

1 Like

@tando @HongKonger if i decide to hire myself an employee of my own LLC, but I already have NHI and labor insurance from another employer (where my salary is higher), do I still need to apply for NHI for myself when I hire myself as an employee? I know I don’t need labor insurance since I don’t have 5 employees.

what i know is,

if a responsible person of a company is also an employee at some other company, the person can be insered at the other company as an employee.

if an employee is hired more than a company, the person is insured at a main company.

if someone gets more than minimum wage from a company where the person is not insured, ~2% of NHI fee is subtracted.

This is my situation. Want to hire myself at my own company so I can pay myself the money my company has earned, instead of paying myself a dividend with an automatic 20% tax.

you are insured for NHI through a company only. other companies should withhold supplementary premium if they pay you more than minimum wage.

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/Content_List.aspx?n=91FF4945CF7E015B&topn=3185A4DF68749BA9

No. If you have more than one job, the job where you spend the majority of your time should provide NHI. If the time is a 50-50 split, then the one providing a higher salary should.

1 Like