Deposit without keys?

We decided on a place but we can only move in in 2 weeks.
Landlord asks for deposit (1 month) already but I’m hesitant since we wouldn’t get the keys yet. She seems legit but what’s the usual protocol? Isn’t it enough to sign the contract and pay once we move in?

It’s pretty common to want a deposit. You might find they rented it out to someone else otherwise. A month seems excessive though.

Standard practice is 2 months deposit, first month rent up front.

Perhaps the place isn’t ready yet.

Yes, the previous tenant is moving later this month.
1 month seems good (given that other places ask for 2).
We’re fine with that.

I’m just wondering if it’s normal to pay the deposit before receiving the keys, in such cases. I guess it is, then.

It seems reasonable to me. The current tenant wouldn’t want someone else to have access to their place before they moved out.

Get a receipt and her details.

Sorry, will you sign the contract when you give the deposit?

Yes

Oh. Yeah that sounds fine. One month, can’t complain.

As long as you sign a contract and check their ID* should be fine. As far as paying up and moving in later. Get them to finger print the contract and seems.on pages, taiwanese are already used to that process and will have ink on hand anyway for stamps.

One month is less than what most people ask as deposite. Especially since I’ve heard some landlords even make foreigners pay 3 month. Get a copy of the contract.

Industry standard is 2 months deposit + 1 month rent, so you need a total of 3 months rent when signing. If you are renting through an agent you need another half month rent on top of that.