Deway and their spam

Anyone else notice the spam from Deway in the jobs forum? They’ve got at least 2 usernames. They keep posting the same jobs, sending the other jobs down the list. They’re also advertising for the infamous Well School in Taoyuan which should be avoided. And they also posted a little note there to avoid IACC, one recruiter saying to stay away from the other… :noway:

May I suggest a Deway sticky with their website and company info???

Thanks, comments noted. We don’t intend to moderate the classifieds too much, because the classified software that we’ll be using in the future is almost ready to be rolled out (weeks, not months). At that point, the classfieds will be much more organized. In the meantime, we’re not going to get too picky about protocol.

I just got a spam email from them as well. The email title was"New Jobs Opening". I didn’t open it. :s

bobepine

Hi. I’m aware that new classifieds are in the works, but deway–or whatever they are called-- is spamming something fierce. It’s really annoying. Today, as I browsed the new posts, most of the first page consisted of deway want ads, from their various smurf identities. Please ask them to simply post their offerings in a single ad.

I just clicked on the “24” link and got a whole page of job postings from the same user. I assume that is this infamous deway person. really annoying. :fume: :fume:

I also have a problem with the way some of the ads are written. Some are just blatant illegal opportunities. I saw one where one place doesn’t have enough working hours per month but yet posted with work permit can be sponsored. How? Illegally is how and with the teacher getting screwed on salary and taxes.

Just bad (and against the Rules).

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”]I also have a problem with the way some of the ads are written. Some are just blatant illegal opportunities. I saw one where one place doesn’t have enough working hours per month but yet posted with work permit can be sponsored. How? Illegally is how and with the teacher getting screwed on salary and taxes.

Just bad (and against the Rules).[/quote]
That’s a major grey area. It might be illegal, and in most cases, the people that would apply are probably not qualified to legally take it on. However, I and most of my peers would be legally allowed to take it on. I think the parties that need to be warned are the people applying for jobs, NOT the people posting them. What kind of warning do you think we should put at the top of the forum? I agree that a caveat emptor would be a good thing to post somewhere…

[quote=“Maoman”][quote=“Yellow Cartman”]I also have a problem with the way some of the ads are written. Some are just blatant illegal opportunities. I saw one where one place doesn’t have enough working hours per month but yet posted with work permit can be sponsored. How? Illegally is how and with the teacher getting screwed on salary and taxes.

Just bad (and against the Rules).[/quote]
That’s a major grey area. It might be illegal, and in most cases, the people that would apply are probably not qualified to legally take it on.[/quote]

Sorry, you’re mistaken. It is neither a major grey area nor a might be illegal case.

The CLA rules and regulations state that teachers must have “not less than 14 hours per week” of teaching hours. Thus, 25 hours a month of teaching means that the school cannot by law sponsor the teacher a work permit. Please see my clarifying post [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/work-rules-for-english-teachers/22846/74 in the Work Forum[/url].

A lot of the posts by dewey and others write that schools can/will offer work permits and ARCs to teaching positions that provide less than the CLA minimum teaching hours requirement. In other words, these are “substitution” type of teaching jobs.

Under the current regulatory scheme, “substitution” teaching hours are instances of working illegally for everyone not with an APRC or marriage based ARC. That happens to be the majority of English teachers here and who are thinking of coming to Taiwan.

That is why I object strenuously. It looks legal and legit but not for the majority of people who are looking at those ads, ignorant of the law. I’m trying to raise the awareness and correct what I believe to be dangerous misunderstandings of the working environment in Taiwan which can (and has) cause extreme distress for many English teachers.

I offer no solution to the problem of being open to job postings within the confines of the Forumosa Rules that says posts shall not promote illegal activities. Maybe caveat emptor type of warnings prominently displayed may help as you suggested.

In the end however, it’s your call about what’s permissible or not.

[quote] I think the parties that need to be warned are the people applying for jobs, NOT the people posting them. What kind of warning do you think we should put at the top of the forum?[/quote] Excellent point and great suggestion. I can’t help because I suck at writing but how about something along the lines of “If you are posting spam we’ll ban you”? :wink:

bobepine

I’d say to Maoman and Cartman that you are both correct. It is true that some of the advertised employers will not be legally able to sponsor ARCs to those teachers who need such sponsorship. I might add that most of the deway ads include kindy work, illegal for any foreigner under any class of ARC. Maoman is also correct that those holding JFRV or APRC would be able to take those advertised part time jobs that would not be offering enough hours to be legal for one requiring sponsorship. I wonder, though, if the point of this thread hasn’t been entirely bypassed in this side debate.

This thread is effectively about the annoying spamming habits of a recruiter company in the jobs forum. Today alone, there must have been at least a dozen posts by this recruiter–posted in quick succession-- which made browsing the new posts an adventure in wading through spam. I wonder if we might simply put aside the arguments about what the recruiter is advertising and simply ask that he not engage in spamming. Thanks. :slight_smile:

That’s a major grey area. It might be illegal, and in most cases, the people that would apply are probably not qualified to legally take it on.[/quote]
Sorry, you’re mistaken. It is neither a major grey area nor a might be illegal case.[/quote]
I’m not mistaken. If you’re married and have a JFRV or a PARC with an Open Work Permit, these jobs are legal working opportunities. If you are a foreign-raised Taiwan citizen, these are legal working opportunities. It is not going to be Forumosa’s job to determine who is eligible and who is not for what positions. The most we can hope to do is educate people. That’s what the forums are for…

Sorry, you’re mistaken. It is neither a major grey area nor a might be illegal case.[/quote]
I’m not mistaken. If you’re married and have a JFRV or a PARC with an Open Work Permit, these jobs are legal working opportunities. If you are a foreign-raised Taiwan citizen, these are legal working opportunities. It is not going to be Forumosa’s job to determine who is eligible and who is not for what positions. The most we can hope to do is educate people. That’s what the forums are for…[/quote]

Maoman, [color=green]You[/color] would be able to take the job because you wouldn’t need a work permit. However, Yellow Cartman points out that some posts are [color=green]offering a work permit[/color], suggesting that those without a JFRV or PARC can also legally apply for those jobs as the company would get you an ARC. Yellow Cartman points out that they would not legally be able to provide an ARC/ work permit as they are offering less than the stated number of hours. Those posts are therefore mis-leading, and possibly illegal, as they are offering permits when none can legally be issued. To reiterate: If you don’t need a work permit then you can legally take those jobs. If you don’t have a work permit then they cannot legally hire you, so they shouldn’t be offering work permits.

I’m not mistaken. If you’re married and have a JFRV or a PARC with an Open Work Permit, these jobs are legal working opportunities. If you are a foreign-raised Taiwan citizen, these are legal working opportunities. It is not going to be Forumosa’s job to determine who is eligible and who is not for what positions. The most we can hope to do is educate people. That’s what the forums are for…[/quote]

Maoman, [color=green]You[/color] would be able to take the job because you wouldn’t need a work permit. However, Yellow Cartman points out that some posts are [color=green]offering a work permit[/color], suggesting that those without a JFRV or PARC can also legally apply for those jobs as the company would get you an ARC. Yellow Cartman points out that they would not legally be able to provide an ARC/ work permit as they are offering less than the stated number of hours. Those posts are therefore mis-leading, and possibly illegal, as they are offering permits when none can legally be issued. To reiterate: If you don’t need a work permit then you can legally take those jobs. If you don’t have a work permit then they cannot legally hire you, so they shouldn’t be offering work permits.[/quote]
I see your point, but that still doesn’t mean it’s impossible. I know of several good friends that have ARCs for Saturday work only. In each case, they’re friends with the boss, and the boss is willing to fudge the numbers in order to sponsor them with an ARC. With that ARC in hand, the teachers are teaching legally, at the address indicated on the ARC. Where’s the problem?

Fudging is illegal, because it involves lying on the work permit application. But not fudge I hope, fudge is yummy.
Did I see some sexually discrimitory(sp) ads that were later edited, or did I imagine them ?
As for the spam… Can’t he get his own website ?

Maoman, [color=green]You[/color] would be able to take the job because you wouldn’t need a work permit. However, Yellow Cartman points out that some posts are [color=green]offering a work permit[/color], suggesting that those without a JFRV or PARC can also legally apply for those jobs as the company would get you an ARC. Yellow Cartman points out that they would not legally be able to provide an ARC/ work permit as they are offering less than the stated number of hours. Those posts are therefore mis-leading, and possibly illegal, as they are offering permits when none can legally be issued. To reiterate: If you don’t need a work permit then you can legally take those jobs. If you don’t have a work permit then they cannot legally hire you, so they shouldn’t be offering work permits.[/quote]
I see your point, but that still doesn’t mean it’s impossible. I know of several good friends that have ARCs for Saturday work only. In each case, they’re friends with the boss, and the boss is willing to fudge the numbers in order to sponsor them with an ARC. With that ARC in hand, the teachers are teaching [color=red]legally[/color], at the address indicated on the ARC. Where’s the problem?[/quote]

Well, I’d still say that ‘fudging’ is an illegal practice… They are there ‘[color=red]legally[/color]’ until someone checks into it. Therefore… those adverts are somewhat misleading to newbies/ certain jobseekers, and in some way promote illegal activities.

Come tax time, how are these “fudged” part-timers going to account for so few hours? Nope, better to play the game within the rules, always, imho. Cheaters never prosper. These “fudged” folks will have a tough time renewing their “Fudgy” ARCs and their “fudging” bosses can most likely count on a visit from a graphite commando after tax season. The Taiwanese are not stupid. They know what they are doing and they are getting better at it each year.

Better still, as this is a thread about JD, it should noted that the experiences some newbies are having of late when dealing with this organization are less than helpful. That shoud be reason enough to dissolve Forumosa’s relationship with them. They are sketchy recruiters who can put innocent foreigners in harm’s way. Then the whole house of cards can come tumbling down as more and more newbies realize that Forumosa, as trusted as it is, is recommneding a less than zealous representative of their future.

Don’t fudge, give 'em the nudge.

huh? :astonished: :help:

Simple. They declare the hours they work. If a person who is here on a work permit claims to be getting by on 15k a month, then of course some eyebrows are going to be raised, and the tax office and the taxpayer will have to come to terms. This is common practice in Taiwan.

By all means, if someone has first-hand experience with John Deway, then please post about it in the Teaching English in Taiwan Forum. First-hand experiences are welcome and valued. And for the record, Forumosa has no relationship with John Deway, formal or informal. We do not endorse them, nor do we have any reason to advise against them.

Simple. They declare the hours they work. If a person who is here on a work permit claims to be getting by on 15k a month, then of course some eyebrows are going to be raised, and the tax office and the taxpayer will have to come to terms. This is common practice in Taiwan.[/quote]

Not so sure about how “common” this practice is. The CLA is getting stricter about its policies and when a worker attempts to renew an ARC, they will have to present a record of their taxes to said CLA. The eyebrows will then be raised if the applicant has not worked the requisite 14 hours a week (as will be demostrated by the amount of taxes paid). The net is there to snare anyone who tries to get around this. So maybe this site doesn’t care to advise caution, but I do. Keep it on the up and up folks. Too many innocent folks getting the heave ho because they are woefully uninformed.

I don’t have a problem with offering work for a few hours a week. Many people on here are allowed to take them. But it would seem a ARC cannot be supplied as claimed in the ad. That I have a problem with. Maybe Mr Dewey and the schools don’t realise all the rules about ARCs, they can be complicated.

Scott Ezell had a fudged ARC (He had the address fudged instead of the hours worked), look what happened to him. I don’t see how lying on an application form can be legal. If your application is fake, your ARC can be invalidated, and you can be deported. No ?

Or is this yet another of those “My friends do it, therefore it must be OK” things ?