Dicussing salaries with co-workers

If TW college graduates are getting paid 36,000NTD a month, they are pretty baller.[/quote]

Indeed, we can see the numbers from this article.

blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2014 … -salaries/

Last year, new college graduates in Taiwan were offered an average starting salary of NT$25,671, up 2.64 percent from 2012, according to a survey by online employment service provider 1111 Job Bank.

[quote=“mrho”][quote=“chubbypanda”]
To clarify, when suggesting 80.000 TWD, you are talking about tech industry and companies like 鴻海(Foxconn) with high Chinese New Year bonuses but including “perks” such as working till 11pm every day?
I guess you are referring to lower limit 36.000 TWD/month for those who graduated from college in Taiwan. Think about it, would those kids (with just college degree, not likely work experience) get paid 50.000+ first year?
[/quote]

Foxconn, TSMC, MTK, MStar…
Still, everyone knows it’s not only the 80K+ jobs that include those “perks”.

Seriously, 36k for a college graduate is a joke and bad for the job market. Taiwanese people don’t have a choice sadly, but for foreigners I think it’s better to just leave (Taiwan is addicting, but sometimes people just have to let it go).[/quote]

The electronics industry is probably the worst industry to work in Taiwan, if you compare hours worked to pay and health effects. Engineers drop like flies from overwork. Still many put up with it to try and put a decent amount of money together before quitting it.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“mrho”][quote=“chubbypanda”]
To clarify, when suggesting 80.000 TWD, you are talking about tech industry and companies like 鴻海(Foxconn) with high Chinese New Year bonuses but including “perks” such as working till 11pm every day?
I guess you are referring to lower limit 36.000 TWD/month for those who graduated from college in Taiwan. Think about it, would those kids (with just college degree, not likely work experience) get paid 50.000+ first year?
[/quote]

Foxconn, TSMC, MTK, MStar…
Still, everyone knows it’s not only the 80K+ jobs that include those “perks”.

Seriously, 36k for a college graduate is a joke and bad for the job market. Taiwanese people don’t have a choice sadly, but for foreigners I think it’s better to just leave (Taiwan is addicting, but sometimes people just have to let it go).[/quote]

The electronics industry is probably the worst industry to work in Taiwan, if you compare hours worked to pay and health effects. Engineers drop like flies from overwork. Still many put up with it to try and put a decent amount of money together before quitting it.[/quote]
That is what all of my colleagues try to do after getting their Master or PhD: go work for TSMC for a couple of years, save as much as they can and then look for a job that does not threaten to kill you from overwork.

[quote=“Novaspes”]
That is what all of my colleagues try to do after getting their Master or PhD: go work for TSMC for a couple of years, save as much as they can and then look for a job that does not threaten to kill you from overwork.[/quote]

which is almost impossible, after you get used to the money, and you are always waiting for just 1 more CNY bonus before quitting.