Did you get a China visa from official office in Hong Kong?

I am wondering, do you HAVE to use a service like CTS to get a Chinese visa in Hong Kong, or can you go to the official offices? Because I see according to their website, even rush service is about five times cheaper than the CTS services. However, they have this rule listed on their website:

4, If you don’t reside or work in Hong Kong permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples’ Republic of China in your resident country.

Anyone with any experience with this?