Diet coke ... is the end in sight?

Just read an article in the newspaper that stated that aspartame (nutrasweet) is cancerogenic even in the smallest doses now allowed to be used in food … Diet coke is sweetend with Nutrasweet (aspartame) … uhmmm … wonder what Coke is going to do now … :s

Oh … aspartame is used in about 6,000 food items worldwide …

They say it’s tested in 20 milligram/kg bodyweight and they found it’s harmfull at this quantity … regulations in the US allow 50 milligram and in Europe 40 milligram … well way over the tested amount … it’s about daily doses …

Aspartame metabolizes into formaldehyde in the human brain. Not a good thing. It, aspartame, is and has been declared unsafe for human consumption in many countries for quite a few years. It is a terrible drug for humans to ingest. It is the root of many physical and mental problems.

Do a Google on it.

I finally found and read an article about the study.

There’s nothing really obviously wrong about their methodology, but: (1) their conclusions don’t jibe with any previous studies; and (2) they allowed the rats to die naturally and then looked for ANY signs of cancer or even cellular changes that might lead to cancer, no matter how small, and regardless of whether that was what killed the rats:
medicalnewstoday.com/medical … wsid=34040

Regarding (2), a lot of men get prostate cancer in their old age, but most die of something else long before the prostate cancer would have killed them.

The abstract is available here:
ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2005/8711/abstract.pdf
The full study is available here:
ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/8711/8711.pdf

I don’t have time at the moment to read through the whole thing. I looked at their results tables (p.30 ff) and either I’m misreading things or else their results aren’t as earth-shaking as the news reports are claiming.

BTW, it looks like the results are worse for females than for males.

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]I finally found and read an article about the study.

There’s nothing really obviously wrong about their methodology, but: (1) their conclusions don’t jibe with any previous studies; and (2) they allowed the rats to die naturally and then looked for ANY signs of cancer or even cellular changes that might lead to cancer, no matter how small, and regardless of whether that was what killed the rats:
medicalnewstoday.com/medical … wsid=34040

Regarding (2), a lot of men get prostate cancer in their old age, but most die of something else long before the prostate cancer would have killed them.

The abstract is available here:
ehp.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2005/8711/abstract.pdf
The full study is available here:
ehp.niehs.nih.gov/members/2005/8711/8711.pdf

I don’t have time at the moment to read through the whole thing. I looked at their results tables (p.30 ff) and either I’m misreading things or else their results aren’t as earth-shaking as the news reports are claiming.

BTW, it looks like the results are worse for females than for males.[/quote]

I read thet coke use sucralose now, a derivative of sugar without the calories …

The press mostly overdo it a little.

Worse for females? Prostate cancer? :smiley:

MPS -
Somewhere in my boxes of unpacked books, I have a booklet with the results of an investigation done in England during the mid-70’s on aspartame.
It was quite thorough, but I cannot knowledgebly comment on the methodology or the quality of the ‘science’ used at the time.
This was my intro to the dangers posed by aspartame or “NUTRA-SWEET” as its more commonly named.
Annecdotally - In the late '80’s I was working in south Texas. A colleague based in Texarkana used to visit our office 1 - 2 x’s a month. It was a very long drive and during the hot Texas summer, even with air con, it was pretty hard on him. He used to drink 6 - 12 cans of ‘Pepsi’ while driving. Plus he drank more when he would stop for his meals. He kept a cooler in his car for that purpose. When he would reach my office, way down south, he was a wreck. A few times I actually thouht he was going to stroke out or have a heart attack. Co-incidentally I had this booklet I mentioned in my desk one day when he came in. He looked as bad as usual and we talked about it. He mentioned drinking the Pepsi’s and I looked at the can - NUTRA-SWEET. I had him read the booklet that night in his hotel. The next day he came in and couldn’t stop talking - All the symptns mentioned were familiar to him. He swore off NUTRA-SWEET then & there. When I saw him a month later the difference was amazing - his wife even called me to get the info on the book so she could buy a copy.
Annecdotal yes, but I have seen the same thing repeated over and again. The stuff is a killa…IMO.

once heard from friend of doctor he simply said i would never drink that

I heard a taxi driver once, no idea what he was talking about.

I heard a taxi driver once, no idea what he was talking about.[/quote]I read something once on an internet forum, then I went to sleep.

several years ago I was on a tour of the local Coca Cola bottler.
I got to sample some unflavored coke. no sugar, no nothing…
it was the most disgusting thing I’ve ever tasted.

back to diet coke… if it can be proven that diet coke causes cancer,
it is likely that someone will start a class-action lawsuit? :slight_smile:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Aspartame metabolizes into formaldehyde in the human brain. Not a good thing. It, aspartame, is and has been declared unsafe for human consumption in many countries for quite a few years. It is a terrible drug for humans to ingest. It is the root of many physical and mental problems.

Do a Google on it.[/quote]

when aspartame is heated above 98 degrees (the body is roughly 98.6 degrees at any give time) then yes it does turn into a form of formaldehyde…aspartame is a variation of wood alcohol…what all the doomsayers don’t tell you is that regular fruit juice, even the freshly squeezed stuff, contains wood alcohol of varying levels which also turns into formaldehyde at higher temps…studies have shown that fruit juice contains a higher concentrate of wood alcohol than say diet coke…all things in moderation people. If you’re drinking several litres of juice or diet coke a day you have a problem. A couple or few glasses a day won’t kill you any faster than anything else in this world. Traffic’ll get you sooner!

I heard a taxi driver once, no idea what he was talking about.[/quote]I read something once on an internet forum, then I went to sleep.[/quote]

I heard they have the Internet on computers now.

[quote=“joyarm”] Traffic’ll get you sooner![/quote]joyarm -
Especially traffic on Taiwan… :bravo:

of course, riding a scooter down to the 7-11 to get your can of Diet Coke is much more hazardous for your health than drinking it.

Drinking your scooter? :astonished:

BroonAspartame

You can watch a great documentary on this poison here:

Of all the people Rumsfeld help get it on the market. A man of huge morals.

video.google.com/videoplay?docid … me&pl=true

You won’t touch a coke again I hope.