Difference in convection ovens

…I am seeing two types of convection ovens being sold in Taiwan…the first type, which seems to be really popular but I’ve never actually used before, are 1500W devices that function also as toaster ovens…the second type are microwave/convection ovens which I am familiar with…I own a Panasonic microwave/convection oven in Canada, and I’ve used the convection oven function to make anything from pot pies to pizzas…works great…so what, if there are any, differences are there in their convection abilities, and which gives the better results?

Hmmmm, sorry I cant help with your question. But, perhaps you can help with mine.

I love to cook, and specificaly, bake. I actually have my own company here in the US in conjunction with my Uncles bakery down in LA.

I have sent my GF samples of my baked goods and she fell in love with them and me (hehe) She wants me to continue my business in Taiwan once we get settled.

I noticed that “real” ovens that we have in the west are not common in Taiwan. All apartments that I saw were only equiped with stoves and microwaves. I know you can buy small toaster oven style convection ovens, but how hard is it to find an apartment that has a “real” full size oven?

If we cant find an apartment with one already, we plan on installing our own. Are they hard to find at all in Taiwan? Thanks.

Sorry I couldnt help with your question.

I would say most apartments are not equipped with ovens, mainly because baking is not as predominant here in Taiwan…also, you have to factor in the ovens take up a bit of room…so they are not popular…

I have seen ovens being sold in Taiwan…if you go to any kitchen renovation store, they will have built-in ovens and very western style kitchens…these are basically for show and seldom do people actually buy them…

Your best bet is to buy one of those stove units (the cooktop is above and the oven is below)…I’ve seen these selling at B&Q for a decent price…they are electric so you probably need to find out if the plug is readily available in your kitchen…(I am guessing they run on 220V like your A/C)…I dunno…

I’ve got a couple of those 1500W jobs; the convection isn’t great, and the heat is rather uneven. Baking two sheets of cookies top and bottom definitely requires rotating 180 degrees and switching pans top and bottom halfway through. Avoid the ones with U-shaped elements, and get one with two straight rods that go all the way across the top instead, as the latter produce more even heat.

If you’re really into baking and have the money and the space, skip these, and install a higher quality Western oven. If you’re on a budget and/or don’t bake often, the 1500W ovens are acceptable, though.

I have owned one of those Taiwan-made convection ovens and now I own a deluxe microwave/convection. Both of them were/are way too slow. I don’t know if it is the power systems here or what, but convection ovens here don’t seem to get the temp right and you’ve always got to cook things like bundt cakes or meatloaf longer. The convenience of a convection oven with the microwave is really the fancy electronic timer, etc. I have started experimenting with the combination cooking with good results.

I’d go with a big Western style oven if you can. Watch your power bill rise if you use the convection in your microwave/convection oven often.

For those with convection ovens, do you notice that the plug/wire gets quite warm after prolonged usage? 1500W draws quite a bit of amps…in Taiwan’s humid/hot conditions, this would be a problem wouldn’t it? I brought a water boiler from Canada here, I think it uses 1500W, and the plug gets quite warm to the touch…

I have been looking around the net…I am seeing that the CuisineArt toaster/convection oven is quite popular…I may bring one back from Canada…I will only use it for like baking ever so often…mostly, it will be used to toast bread…I have been thinking about getting the microwave/convection oven…but I’m trying to move away from frequent microwave usage…