Differences between Taiwanese Culture and Chinese Culture

And I found them unconvincing. I’ve been to Taiwan 3 times, and I always just thought it as another place with Chinese majority.

Taiwanese are kinder? Sure, that’s why we have Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism? - #887 by sofun right? I mean, that sounds very mainlandish.

2 Likes

Some of the same holidays but how we celebrate can be different. Such as the moon festival, a Taiwan tradition outside of Taipei the the Taiwan BBQ which many people in China do not know about. This an example of one of many, when weekly regional online meetings , some of the people in China are surprised how the same holiday is celebrated differently, a culture difference.

1 Like

I will accept there are nuanced differences, but there are differences WITHIN mainland China too. That’s why there are dialects.

By the way, I am still planning to move to Taiwan come this September, so I guess I’ll see for myself then.

Yeah, and there are regional differences in Taiwan too.

Canada is cut from the British cloth.

Taiwan is cut from the Chinese cloth.

2 Likes

If you think there’s no difference, why are you moving to Taiwan and not China?

3 Likes

Because China is not open to foreigners nowadays and my client is sending me to Taiwan instead of China?

There’s another difference.

1 Like

But that’s because of Covid though. I mean before that, anyone can go to China too with the proper visa.

It’s a genuine question that people with little experience with Taiwan would want to know.

The PRC has always been more xenophobic than Taiwan.

2 Likes

Hey you found a difference!

Guy

2 Likes

Not just covid. China is much more xenophobic than Taiwan. How many foreigners have naturalized in China?

3 Likes

Chinese Driving is 10x worse than Taiwanese driving. Only China has ever made me felt like I was going to die.

I’ve experienced some very stupid driving habits by people and taxi drivers here in Taiwan,

but a friend in China decided wrong way driving was a good idea to take a shortcut and a taxi driver deciding to barely scrape the exit guardrail to overtake on the right were frightening.

I felt that way on the 401.

So are you saying that Ontario culture and Chinese culture are the same? :upside_down_face:

Guy

1 Like

I would say true, and People in China are often surprised by open Gay & Les life and culture in Taiwan, by lots of single people and late marriage age , ect.

Dude, the 401 is not comparable. It’s wide and looks chaotic, but a fairly safe drive.

Though my recent return has seen a lot more Taiwanese style driving. I think they wanted to make me feel at home

As they overtake me on the right while I do 135kmh.

1 Like

This question of differences will also tend to elicit different answers from mainland Chinese vs. mainland Taiwanese :wink:

But we tend to dress in a more American style these days. More American influence, is, yet another example of difference here

Historically true, and yet another present day difference